shape
carat
color
clarity

Peru Proposal... Any Help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Absolute^Zero

Rough_Rock
I was really hoping to propose on the 4th of July, here in Wisconsin, USA... We go to this little lagoon/lake place where they put off the city fireworks. We reserve a paddleboat and watch the fireworks from the middle of the water
1.gif
The paddleboat also relates to an inside joke between us. I had planned to propose to her actually out on the water during the fireworks... Unfortunately, the funds have only recently appeared to purchase the ring, so I don''t know if one month will be adequate for getting the ring taken care of.

My other idea is to propose during a trip to Peru that we are taking the first week of Jan, 2005... We will be visiting many places including Macchu Picchu, Lima, Cuzco, etc. However, it might be difficult for me to plan a relatively private proposal since we are going as part of a group trip (study abroad through the university)

Any Suggestions? Home or Peru? If Peru, any good ideas/locations?

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
Depending on what you are looking for in a ring, it is definitely possible that you could have it in your hands in less than a month. Online vendors that you will read about on this message board ship stones overnight, and there are several reliable ones that you an choose from. If you're thinking of going custom w/ the setting, that might not be possible, but its worth a try! If you want to go with a manufactured setting, again, you can most definitely have the ring finished in a month!

I don't know anything about Peru, but I do know that you will find SOME time alone while you two are there, even if you're with a tour group! And if you ask the tour leaders to collaborate with you, I'm sure it would be even easier to arrange. I have read about a guy or two on this message board who has carried the ring around in his pocket for a while, waiting for the perfect moment to propose. I think this can be just as romantic, if not more so, than an arranged proposal! I think when people have done this, they wrapped the ring in a cloth and put it in a bag pinned in their pocket or something, so it would be protected and not obvious, but wouldn't get lost.

Good luck!!!!!

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
If you take the ring to Peru, try to take the paperwork as well, and maybe register it at customs on your way out so that they don't try to make you pay import duty on it when it comes back in. If you, say, have the box with you, they might suspect it's new.

In any case, if you already know what you want, you might well be able to get the ring by then. I know that BlueNile.com, for example, has preconstructed rings they'll ship in 24 hours. Other dealers have hand-picked diamonds in stock (like NiceIce, Good Old Gold, and possibly WhiteFlash or Dirt Cheap Diamonds), and for non-designer settings should be able to get you a ring quite quickly.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/5/2004 1:39:59 AM Absolute^Zero wrote:

If Peru, any good ideas/locations?----------------

I've been to Peru and I personally love the Peru idea
9.gif
But it is still quite far into the future..

When you do go to Peru, would you be able to have some private time alone at all while you're there? You can probably do it during a nice dinner someplace.

Lima seems to be your typical big city, but I can't say much about it since I didn't spend any time there (that was not the focus of my trip).

However, I thought Cuzco is quite pretty.
There is this really upscale hotel (I think it's called Hotel Monasterio or something since it used to be a monastery) that has a pretty nice restaurant that may work as a proposal location. PM me if you want me to check on other nice restaurants in Cuzco.

If proposing in a restaurant is not quite your thing, I'd say you can pick other creative locations while you're Cuzco. The whole town is quite unique.
5.gif

If you do end up proposing in Peru, make sure you have your paperwork for the ring (for customs, especially), and be careful of pickpockets out there!

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
appl.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Actually, the pick pocket thing is a good point. My experience is stale, but there are many parts of SA where you really don't want to be wearing or carrying diamonds. As a fresh proposal, of course she'll want to wear it, so check into the crime issues of the areas. (It tends to vary, I think.)

And, I agree with the others, if you have a basic idea of what you want, getting a ring in a month from an online vendor shouldn't be a problem if you tell them your timeframe, and don't dilly-dally for 2-3 weeks.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
How much time will you have at Macchu Picchu? Will you be staying overnight there or are you just going for a day trip?

If you're staying overnight you could hike up the small mountain that you see in all of the Macchu Picchu pictures and propose at sunset or sunrise. You'd be overlooking the ruins and all of the valleys and it's very beautiful. Most of the tourist on day trips would be gone as well.

Cuzco is also very beautiful and would make a nice spot.

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
I really like the idea of proposing at home, and not only because of what a couple of posters have mentioned: customs and pickpockets. Your idea of proposing out on the water under the fireworks is really romantic. Plus, watching the fireworks sounds like something you've done many times, so it will only make the venue more special every 4th of July. You won't need to worry about privacy, and you'll also get to share the news with friends and family right away!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results