shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfume...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if I've posted here before, but here goes. I love White Musk by The Body Shop; it's by far my favourite perfume and the one I wear most often. I have worn and liked 212, and Angel. As you can see, I'm not really a perfume person :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My new favorite is the Hermessence line by Hermes. My dh bought me Vetiver Tonka Hermessence and I am in love :love:
It is a beautiful light and refreshing scent and I think good for a man or woman. I am spraying with abandon :bigsmile:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, I got inspired and bought over 25 fragrance samples in my quest to find 1 or 2 signature scents. My signature scent is pink sugar but I'm hoping to find something equally delicious but more sophisticated since I started wearing it as a 21 year old exotic dancer and that's exactly what it smells like. I'll try them out over the coming weeks.

So far I adore biehl. parfumkunstwerke egon oelkers 03...hard to tell because I've just sniffed so many scents out of the bottle but I think it smells like how I wish Fragile smelled on me but Fragile just doesn't wear true. It's fresher and more liberated than fragile too. I know it has to do with body chemistry but I wonder how much the individual notes matter...for example if I love Fragile and Queque Fluers but they smell "off" on me will all fragrances with the same notes go rank?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kelpie said:
Oh dear, I got inspired and bought over 25 fragrance samples in my quest to find 1 or 2 signature scents. My signature scent is pink sugar but I'm hoping to find something equally delicious but more sophisticated since I started wearing it as a 21 year old exotic dancer and that's exactly what it smells like. I'll try them out over the coming weeks.

So far I adore biehl. parfumkunstwerke egon oelkers 03...hard to tell because I've just sniffed so many scents out of the bottle but I think it smells like how I wish Fragile smelled on me but Fragile just doesn't wear true. It's fresher and more liberated than fragile too. I know it has to do with body chemistry but I wonder how much the individual notes matter...for example if I love Fragile and Queque Fluers but they smell "off" on me will all fragrances with the same notes go rank?

This is what you need to buy: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P276315&categoryId=B70
"Sephora Best of Fragrance Deluxe Sampler For Her ($100 Value)
This set of 10 fragrance samples includes a voucher for a full-size version, making it a perfect present when you're not sure what to choose."

You buy the $50 sampler box of 10, plus it comes with a $50 coupon for perfume. So, you play with all the samples, and then when you decide which one you like, you take the coupon to Sephora (or use the code online) and get $50 off the perfume that you like.

Genius, right? ;-)

I bought this for DH for Christmas and we had tons of fun "testing" them out.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I love this new Cartier scent;

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cartier-baiser-vole-eau-de-parfum-nordstrom-exclusive/3202109?origin=category&resultback=0

It's exclusive to Nordstrom until September, then you can get it at Saks, etc. If you ask for a sample at Saks, I'll bet they have it.

Here's an article on this it: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/cartier/

I think it's genius; slightly green, warmly floral, long-lasting but not cloying or too sweet. HATE the bottle design, so ugly. . . The article describes the smell as "Volé bucks the trend for “sickly” or “sugary” florals, and it took Laurent two years to capture the fresh yet heady essence of a bouquet of just-cut lilies."

I have a real respect for the Cartier perfumier, ever since I tried Eu De Cartier. I love that one, it's very clean, starts out bright and stays bright throughout it's development. It doesn't get all weird and powdery like some of my Chanel perfumes. I used to like No 19 and 22, but Eu De Cartier knocked them out of the park.

I am living on samples until I can buy the full bottle at Cartier, and have it gift-wrapped, even though it's just for me. ;)) I want that fancy Cartier ribbon . . . :bigsmile:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1313701710|2993681 said:
This is what you need to buy: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P276315&categoryId=B70
This set of 10 fragrance samples includes a voucher for a full-size version, making it a perfect present when you're not sure what to choose."

You buy the $50 sampler box of 10, plus it comes with a $50 coupon for perfume. So, you play with all the samples, and then when you decide which one you like, you take the coupon to Sephora (or use the code online) and get $50 off the perfume that you like.

Thanks for the tip! That's a super deal but oddly it says it's not redeemable online and I'm a couple thousand miles from a sephora. I did buy some Jo Malone orange blossom today...smells just like my favorite flower, philadelphius. I bought 50 of the 1.5 ml spray vials off ebay for $54 (it's like 3 oz). That's much better price per ounce than even the large bottles. Plus I think they'll keep better because I can store the reserves in the fridge.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I’ve had a few days to get acquainted with these perfumes and will give my impressions. Take it with a grain of salt since I know nothing about fragrance or how to describe it.

Raves
Biehl EO3- I love this tuberose scent. Reminds me of fragile but wears better. Having trouble stomaching the $150 price but one bottle will certainly last several years the way I use perfume. I think I’ll have to get this. I’m a little worried I’ll fall in love and it will be discontinued since the line doesn’t seem well received by perfume snobs and there’s only one US distributor. In that case would you hoard it?
Jo Malone Orange Blossom- Already ordered this for day time/ warm weather wear. It’s very sweet and I do love sweet. Smells like philadelphius aka “Mock Orange” I grow back home and transports me back to the 10 days in the spring that it actually blooms.
V&R Flowerbomb- Love this although I worry it’s strength might offend others. I get very sweet and sugary before I get flowery from it. I’ll have to see what the husband thinks, it could be too much.
Chanel Allure- As a pre-teen I used to buy avon sunny sky talcum powder from the flea-market avon dealer. It smells just like this. Hmm, maybe I just love that it takes me back there? Late afternoon during indian summer would be a perfect description. Fresh and clean.
Atelier Orange Sanguine- Very fresh and juicy.
Hermessence Ambre Narguile- Very dark and mysterious, I don’t think I’m sophisticated enough to pull it off but it’s very seductive.
Bond no9 Scent of Peace- Clean, fresh, soapy…can’t help but think it smells too manufactured for the price.
Caron Tubereuse- I love tuberose but I don’t want to be a one note wonder
Biel MB01- Very nice femme scent but doesn’t last
Guerlain Oriental Brulant & Gormand Couquin- both quite nice but I cannot imagine spending $350 on a bottle.
Dislikes
Hermessence Vetiver Tonka- I wanted to know what vetiver smells like and it’s something like citronella and baby shampoo.
Atlier Oolang Infiniti- Far too masculine, I but I’d like it on a man
Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint and Pomegranate noire- See above
Jo Malone Nectarine blossom and honey- it smells nice but rather soapy and doesn’t last. The nectarine is captured well.
Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur oil- Maybe I got a bad sample, I can hardly smell anything it’s so weak
Diptyque L’Ombre dans L’eau- to be fair I didn’t even really give this a chance, the first note of moss and tomato leaves put me off so much.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1313707488|2993762 said:
iLander|1313701710|2993681 said:

Thanks for the tip! That's a super deal but oddly it says it's not redeemable online and I'm a couple thousand miles from a sephora. I did buy some Jo Malone orange blossom today...smells just like my favorite flower, philadelphius. I bought 50 of the 1.5 ml spray vials off ebay for $54 (it's like 3 oz). That's much better price per ounce than even the large bottles. Plus I think they'll keep better because I can store the reserves in the fridge.

Oh, no!! I didn't realize that they didn't redeem it online!

How stupid is THAT?

That's just dumb! :roll:

annee

Rough_Rock
I'm currently loving Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh! It's light, delicate and feminine all rolled into one :love:

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I love perfume...

For everyday, I like Sugar Lychee by Fresh and Issak Miyake.

For evening, I love Delices de Cartier, and DH likes Very Sexy by Victoria Secret (I have no idea why, but he LOVES it!). For our wedding, I chose Tom Ford's Black Orchid.

For DH, I bought him Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue for our wedding and he uses that for evenings out. He wears regular soap and sometimes Old Spice for everyday. Amazingly, I've grown to love the smell of Old Spice...hee!

My teenage sister is also into perfume (she likes the bottles) and she likes Viva La Juicy, Lola by Marc Jacobs and Miss Dior Cherie.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[
For our wedding, I chose Tom Ford's Black Orchid.

I still love this fragrance. Great choice!

My sister bought the new Jo Malone "Rose". I love rose, but not this style :confused: . Jean Patou, Rose, yes; but not this one......

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1313771403|2994306 said:
Ok, I’ve had a few days to get acquainted with these perfumes and will give my impressions. Take it with a grain of salt since I know nothing about fragrance or how to describe it.

Raves
Biehl EO3- I love this tuberose scent. Reminds me of fragile but wears better. Having trouble stomaching the $150 price but one bottle will certainly last several years the way I use perfume. I think I’ll have to get this. I’m a little worried I’ll fall in love and it will be discontinued since the line doesn’t seem well received by perfume snobs and there’s only one US distributor. In that case would you hoard it?
Jo Malone Orange Blossom- Already ordered this for day time/ warm weather wear. It’s very sweet and I do love sweet. Smells like philadelphius aka “Mock Orange” I grow back home and transports me back to the 10 days in the spring that it actually blooms.
V&R Flowerbomb- Love this although I worry it’s strength might offend others. I get very sweet and sugary before I get flowery from it. I’ll have to see what the husband thinks, it could be too much.
Chanel Allure- As a pre-teen I used to buy avon sunny sky talcum powder from the flea-market avon dealer. It smells just like this. Hmm, maybe I just love that it takes me back there? Late afternoon during indian summer would be a perfect description. Fresh and clean.
Atelier Orange Sanguine- Very fresh and juicy.
Hermessence Ambre Narguile- Very dark and mysterious, I don’t think I’m sophisticated enough to pull it off but it’s very seductive.
Bond no9 Scent of Peace- Clean, fresh, soapy…can’t help but think it smells too manufactured for the price.
Caron Tubereuse- I love tuberose but I don’t want to be a one note wonder
Biel MB01- Very nice femme scent but doesn’t last
Guerlain Oriental Brulant & Gormand Couquin- both quite nice but I cannot imagine spending $350 on a bottle.
Dislikes
Hermessence Vetiver Tonka- I wanted to know what vetiver smells like and it’s something like citronella and baby shampoo.
Atlier Oolang Infiniti- Far too masculine, I but I’d like it on a man
Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint and Pomegranate noire- See above
Jo Malone Nectarine blossom and honey- it smells nice but rather soapy and doesn’t last. The nectarine is captured well.
Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur oil- Maybe I got a bad sample, I can hardly smell anything it’s so weak
Diptyque L’Ombre dans L’eau- to be fair I didn’t even really give this a chance, the first note of moss and tomato leaves put me off so much.

Have you tried Frederic Malle Carnal Flower? I am a tuberose lover...and seek it out...and this scent is bitter/interesting. LOVE it!

cheers--Sharon

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy crap, you guys are freakin' experts! I'm looking for a new scent, a tad bored of my old stuff. My favourite scent that I use all the time is 'Bouquet' by Vera Wang. Yesterday I went scent testing at Sephora and brought home a sample of 'florale' by Issey Miyake. I like the scent, but it doesn't seem t last too long.

Any other suggestions for me based on the two above?

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Kama, I've stalked a make-up site to get a feel for what your two favorites entail and got: clean, citrus, (white flower) floral and linear. A few ideas to get the ball rolling:

Marc Jacobs - Daisy
Dior - J'adore
Donna Karan - Be Delicious (apple-based)
Dolce & Gabbana - Light Blue
Armani Privé - Vetiver Babylone

These are different combinations of floral, light fruit and musk and citrus; all pretty light and airy.

Annick Goutal - Eau de Ciel (clean and fresh: rain-water and violets, hay and rosewood).
Frederic Malle - En passant (rain-water, true lilac, hay).
Creed - Love in White (creamy white floral with medium musk).

These are more 'out of the way' but could be worth the investigation for you -- you can't know until you give it a shot! :) There's no way to know your sensitivity to musk or ozonic notes or whathaveyou and these things are critical for figuring out which way to go. If you try any of these I'd love to hear your responses so maybe I can fine-tune the recommendations? :naughty: Have fun!

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
ETA (and way too late!) -- you might like some or even all of the Hermes 'Un Jardin' range. These are all very clean, light and wickedly blended. I'd say try 'Sur le Nil', 'En Mediterranee' and 'Sur le Toit'. My DH found all of these for me and he's a lover of exactly clean, fresh and citrusy (florals he sees as a necessary evil! :razz:). HTH!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aeolianarpa (*phew* that was a mouthful!), thank you SO much for doing some researching for me! Too bad I didn't see your post earlier - I ended up picking up a bottle of Issey Miyake's Florale today. The scent doesn't last too long and is kinda classic (boring?). That said, I still kept sniffing my wrists all day long.

I did spray MJ's Daisy on paper, but it smelled like a banana smoothie to me! I have a bottle of J'adore at home - don't use it too often as I find it a tad too musky for my likes.

Will try the others you mentioned. Can never have enough bottles, yes? :wink2:

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Kama, sorry I missed the boat! I suspected it might be too late but didn't want to miss out on the potential creation of a perfumista! It seems your taste is the very modern end of classic so you can sit back and let the newest creations roll in! In general I'd look in the white floral and 'floral aquatic' sections -- to start, at least. :razz: When searching, a good bet would be the above and 'lower sillage' -- in general lighter perfumes tend not to last too long (as you've noted) due to lack of heavy base-notes to stay them.

BTW 'linear' just means the perfume doesn't evolve over time on the skin -- complex scents can be linear just the same. I'm thinking you might enjoy the CB 'I hate perfume' line -- all simple and elegant; classic perfume without traditional fuss, I would say. Luckyscent is great for samples of all sorts and basenotes.net is great for some pretty learned discussion.

Anyway, glad to hear you're on for trying the 'Jardin' stuff and the Annicks, it should help if you're even remotely enticed towards perfume-freakishness! Though on the basis that 'fumes can't last forever it is, sadly, possible to have too many bottles (unless you fancy rigging up 'fridges from one end of the dining-room to the far end of the family-room... :naughty:) Hehe, okay, hope that helps!

All time favorite: Shi by Alfred Sung
Current rotation: Chanel No. 5 and Davidoff Cool Water

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I tried a ton of vanillas in my quest to replace pink sugar with something adult. This is the review I wrote of the winner (there were many disappointments)
Vaniglia del Madagascar...

I do love this! it's a true vanilla and yet it's very fresh and woody, not heavy or foody. I frequently travel to Zanzibar and it really does remind me of the vanilla vines that grow there. When you sniff the pod right on the vine with all the flowers around this is what it smells like!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1316347980|3020036 said:
I tried a ton of vanillas in my quest to replace pink sugar with something adult. This is the review I wrote of the winner (there were many disappointments)

I do love this! it's a true vanilla and yet it's very fresh and woody, not heavy or foody. I frequently travel to Zanzibar and it really does remind me of the vanilla vines that grow there. When you sniff the pod right on the vine with all the flowers around this is what it smells like!

I love Vaniglia del Madagascar! I alternate it with all my other vanillas. It is very refreshing and light IMO and an overall lovely perfume!
Not sure if I posted my other grown up vanilla favorites but fyi (you can order samples to try before you purchase a full bottle from LuckyScent or the Perfumed Court): Tihota (sweet and sensuous and great for the cooler weather), Hermessence Vetiver Tonka (another refreshing and light Vanilla, great for the warmer weather and the one I have been wearing a lot lately), Molinard Vanille (very inexpensive but so delicious- a real bargain!), laura mercier vanille gourmand, Vanilla Extasy by Montale, Guerlain Spirituese Double Vanille, L'artisan's Vanille). All I can think of right now but there are so many delicious adult vanilla's out there.

Enjoy!!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, Missy! Like I said above, I didn't even give Vetiver Tonka a chance because the first note felt all kinds of wrong. The others and new to me. Where do you get your Vaniglia del Madagascar? I'm debating on full bottle from Lucky Scent or a decant. I hate paying the decant price per ML but I'm not sure I could use a whole bottle in my lifetime. I am getting much more into perfume and wearing it more though. Vaniglia del Madagascar is just so close to the skin and non-offensive, I think I could wear it daily.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1316372284|3020233 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, Missy! Like I said above, I didn't even give Vetiver Tonka a chance because the first note felt all kinds of wrong. The others and new to me. Where do you get your Vaniglia del Madagascar? I'm debating on full bottle from Lucky Scent or a decant. I hate paying the decant price per ML but I'm not sure I could use a whole bottle in my lifetime. I am getting much more into perfume and wearing it more though. Vaniglia del Madagascar is just so close to the skin and non-offensive, I think I could wear it daily.

You're very welcome Kelpie! I buy most of my perfumes from LuckyScent. I also hate buying decants...way too expensive. I always purchase samples first and wear for a few days to see how I like it before I buy. The Vaniglia del Madagascar is definitely bottle worthy IMO...but perfume truly is subjective. Try tbe Molinard if you can find it- it is so inexpensive and delicious! Google it because it is carried different online places at different times. Let me know what you think if you do get it...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1316347980|3020036 said:

HI:

Have your tried Sublime Vanille (spelling) by Creed? I am trying to think whether Kilian has a vanilla.......

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a sample of Sublime Vanille by Creed and the scent just disappears after a few minutes on me. Literally poof. My dh also tried it and the same thing happened. So not sure if that is unique to the person's chemistry or not but it was a disappointment.
My favorite Creed by far is GIT but it is really a masculine scent so I enjoy it on my dh.

Kilian does have some vanillas- 2 that I remember offhand are Cruel Intentions and Straight to Heaven.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1316559351|3021693 said:
I got a sample of Sublime Vanille by Creed and the scent just disappears after a few minutes on me. Literally poof. My dh also tried it and the same thing happened. So not sure if that is unique to the person's chemistry or not but it was a disappointment.
My favorite Creed by far is GIT but it is really a masculine scent so I enjoy it on my dh.

Kilian does have some vanillas- 2 that I remember offhand are Cruel Intentions and Straight to Heaven.

The Creed did the same on me--but only the vanilla; most of the others I've tried are fairly long lasting. Hubby likes Creed the best and found Kilian did the disappearing act on him.

cheers--Sharon

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got 2 Tom Ford fragrances that I really like: Violet Blonde and Jasmine Rouge.

Does anyone like the Lubin perfumes? I have Nuit de Longchamps and L de Lubin. Lubin is a very old French company that has been around since Marie Antoinette's time.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1319634574|3047886 said:
I just got 2 Tom Ford fragrances that I really like: Violet Blonde and Jasmine Rouge.

Does anyone like the Lubin perfumes? I have Nuit de Longchamps and L de Lubin. Lubin is a very old French company that has been around since Marie Antoinette's time.

HI MB:

Not familiar with the latter--but want to try the former! With Christmas around the corner--I'll be sampling like mad!

cheers--Sharon

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, ladies,

I posted a while back about my husband's search for an elusive scent. You gave me many wonderful leads, but none of them are it. I keep telling him he just has to stop a woman and ASK HER WHAT SHE'S WEARING the next time he smells it.

We've been scent shopping every weekend for at least a year, maybe more. He finally found one he likes, Versace Bright Crystal, so that's what I'm wearing now. It isn't *the* scent he's been searching for, but it's good enough for now.

I fell in love with a cologne for him, Wood by DSquared2 or something like that. YUM.

Thanks again for all of your help! You are scent experts! I'll post an update if we ever discover the source of the scent my husband loves so much.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have fallen in love. I think I've finally found The One.

After years of seeking out vintage No 5 for the oakmoss loveliness, I think I've found an off the shelf fragrance I love as much.

Chanel 19 Poudre. I don't care for regular 19 at all, but this one is just sublime on my skin. I like it better than the Cuir de Russe I spend all that time and money tracking down, too.

I also discovered that I really don't like the Sensual Elixir version of No5. It smells oily on my skin. I wanted to love it! ;(

I'm off back to Harvey Nichols to get a big bottle of 19 Poudre, the scent of the sample spray from yesterday is haunting me!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Again more Creed for me. While buying DH's Xmas gifts I got a sample of the Royal Water and Original Scent--I think both genders can wear them and my next Creed purchase will be Royal Water. Captivating. Fresh. LOVE it! Got a sample of the Island Water for a friend and it is her new obsession! The coconut is lovely.

cheer--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results