shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfection thy name is PS!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now when I look at diamond ads with macro shots in high-end magazines I cringe...
the Tiffany honker with claws that don't quite match and the companion eternity band with an inconsistency in cuts...the Kuwiat stones with unfortunate-looking facet patterns...I no longer swoon over these images & instead wonder why they use those photos instead of showing something OTT spectacular.
Pricescope - what have you done to me?!!! LOL :lol:
Anyone else have this first world pet peeve?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Just the other day I averted my eyes in embarrassment from a full-page high-end jewelry boutique ad because the diamond wasn't that nice. It almost looked like it needed a cleaning. It's funny, I didn't even register that I did that - looked away as in 'oops, your knickers are showing!' - until I read your post! :lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1461929996|4025022 said:
Ha! Just the other day I averted my eyes in embarrassment from a full-page high-end jewelry boutique ad because the diamond wasn't that nice. It almost looked like it needed a cleaning. It's funny, I didn't even register that I did that - looked away as in 'oops, your knickers are showing!' - until I read your post! :lol:

LOL :lol: yes, that's what I mean.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL yes and it is automatic just like rainydaze shared.

But I will add that I always remember that adage "Perfect is the enemy of good"...but of course that doesn't apply to PSers and their bling. :lol:

OK ok, I will settle for dazzlingly beautiful and breathtakingly gorgeous and stunningly blingtastic. Perfect may be overkill. :devil: :halo: 8) :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1461922470|4025008 said:
Now when I look at diamond ads with macro shots in high-end magazines I cringe...
the Tiffany honker with claws that don't quite match and the companion eternity band with an inconsistency in cuts...the Kuwiat stones with unfortunate-looking facet patterns...I no longer swoon over these images & instead wonder why they use those photos instead of showing something OTT spectacular.
Pricescope - what have you done to me?!!! LOL :lol:
Anyone else have this first world pet peeve?
LOL! One of the tiffany honkers has a big ole goober in it too.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I loved those pictures--and was sad I didn't own any of them! :bigsmile: Please take up a fund for me--I'd loved to own them anyofthemgobersandall! :lol:

cheers--Sharon

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Price scope has ruined me.
I must bite my tongue when looking at friend's diamonds with cloudy, yucky inclusions and peppery carbon specks.
And don't get me started on crap from Kay's.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are making me regret that I tossed a bridal magazine with a full page Tiffany ad. Wish I could look for the goober and/or wonky prongs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must have missed these pics!!! Where are they?

But yes, absolutely, I am spoiled by perfectly cut diamonds and close to perfect workmanship. There are still jewelry items I'd buy from Tiffany second hand, though. But I would certainly examine it closely!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1461941468|4025091 said:
HI:

I loved those pictures--and was sad I didn't own any of them! :bigsmile: Please take up a fund for me--I'd loved to own them anyofthemgobersandall! :lol:

cheers--Sharon

:lol: :D

I think those companies just need to make the images smaller than 100x.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000 said:
Yes, Price scope has ruined me.
I must bite my tongue when looking at friend's diamonds with cloudy, yucky inclusions and peppery carbon specks.
And don't get me started on crap from Kay's.

HA! This! EXACTLY. [emoji12]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would someone mind posting a screenshot/pic of said ad(s)?? [emoji56][emoji57]

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS damn near ruined me, and when I got engaged to a non-PSer who actually knew his stuff I almost ruined my own moment by starting to over-analyze the ring he had presented me with. Things can go as far as you take them. I bought into the hype for a few years here but got back to reality before I started feeling like OECs and halos were the be all, end all jewelry experiences. And before I started to notice imperfections every time I looked down at the very, very beautiful $$$$ diamond on my hand that someone else had put enough thought into already. That's just me, though. I realize others are in it for all kinds of different reasons, and that's great.

Sometimes you have to take a step back from this place, or your trade or hobby, and breathe. The obsession with sparkly things can become a little too consuming at times.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a black marker specially reserved to draw faces on pictures of gems in high-end jewelry ads showing pieces that are less than perfect. I have never confessed that to anyone prior to this. I feel so free :lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1462047427|4025588 said:
I have a black marker specially reserved to draw faces on pictures of gems in high-end jewelry ads showing pieces that are less than perfect. I have never confessed that to anyone prior to this. I feel so free :lol:

LOL

I think the imperfections we see in ads are the result of mass production and the business/profit philosophy of the name brands.
My own bench here and our vendors have higher standard.lso A we ARE exposed to a lot of custom work on PS: higher standards and much more individual attention being given to a better educated public.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pre-PS, I used to dream of a Tiffany solitaire ring, but now all I see is an overly thick, not-well-proportioned knife-shank band that is not customized for the individual diamond (for 1ct stones the band is too wide, and the setting overwhelms the stone I noticed they use the same measurements for the band width no matter what the diamond size is :(( ), and also the curves and lines of the basket are nothing special.. at least in my eyes.

PS opened my eyes to the enormous price markup that is slapped onto branded pieces, and if you take out the name value, what you're left with is not always intrinsically better in quality (and sometimes worse!) than some of the vendors commonly used by PSers.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, happens to me all the time.

It happens most, I think, with colored stones and bezels. Especially FCD. And bezels-- they look wrong to me. But yeah, with white diamonds too.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is me looking at everyone's jewelry in real life.

img_11636.jpg

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping to purchase a diamond tennis bracelet as my next jewellery acquisition. To get a vague idea of what different carat weights look like on the wrist other than pricescope and trying in person, I've been looking at Instagram. One vendor put up a video of a tennis bracelet which just came off the bench and I swear I had to look twice to see if there were any stones in it!! I thought they were just showing the setting without stones. Dull flat lifeless unsparkly stones :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results