shape
carat
color
clarity

People that have baskets on their ring(s).....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I figured I'd post this in here because it's just a question!!

My 3 stone ring is a 4 prong basket. The two side stones sit higher in the basket and therefore the basket DOES NOT touch the diamonds = easier to clean.
The center diamond is maybe too big for the setting and sits in the basket. This has created major cleaning issues. I have been soaking my ring for 24+ hrs just to get the dirt ring under the basket go away (and it only partially goes away).

1) Is it even safe for the diamond to rest in the basket? I am paranoid a hard knock is going to chip the thing.
2) Help me find a cleaner?? Should I get a steam one? I'd like to find one under $100.

Anyone have any cleaning tricks?? I use a toothbrush and a smaller jewelry brush but it is SO HARD to clean that darn basket.

ETA whaaaaaaa! My prongs look sooo wonky!!!! I do not think this setting was made for this size of a diamond!!!

SBnew18.JPG.jpeg

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have a similar setting and use a very small interdental toothbrush and it gets in the tiny gaps.

I love your kitty btw!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
A a very very fine and soft bristle paint brush. You can find them tiny at art stores.

I run it inbetween a few times. Not enough to clean on its own, but just enough to loosen everything up before cleaning in regular solution.

Otherwise, it always looks really good after having a Jet used on it. Where the steam blows everything off.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Here is mine... almost identical to yours, just square cuts instead of round.

I think that my stone "sits" in my setting as well, and the prongs are just reinforcement to hold it in.

Have you tried to use disposable mascara wands that you get at the make-up counters at the mall?

meresaleringbasket2009.jpg

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, your prongs do look super wonky to me .. personally, I''d get that fixed. It doesn''t look safe to me (but I''m not a professional). Either way, I don''t like how they look.

I just got an ultrasonic cleaner and it is super amazing. I got the Brookstone one, it''s $50. It cleaned crud from all types of small areas that even a tiny brush couldn''t reach.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My stone sits down into the basket. Yep, it''s definitely harder to clean, but my jeweler is very close so I just take it over there for steam cleaning. The steam does such a better job than my US (plus they polish the metal!).

Sorry I couldn''t be more helpful.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2009 9:51:51 AM
Author: elrohwen
My stone sits down into the basket. Yep, it''s definitely harder to clean, but my jeweler is very close so I just take it over there for steam cleaning. The steam does such a better job than my US (plus they polish the metal!).

My U/S is almost worthless. I just don''t really "get" how it is supposed to work, and my stone still looks grainy when I pull it out.

Date: 12/18/2009 9:51:51 AM
Author: elrohwen

I am too embarrassed to bother the place I go to for regular cleanings.. I don''t want to be like, "Hey it''s me again. Not here to buy anything but clean my stuff!!" Ha. But now if I OWNED A STEAM CLEANER... I could do it everyday... I crave that "fresh out of the box" clean.

Date: 12/18/2009 9:28:29 AM
Author: lilyfoot
Hmm, your prongs do look super wonky to me .. personally, I''d get that fixed. It doesn''t look safe to me (but I''m not a professional). Either way, I don''t like how they look.

I just got an ultrasonic cleaner and it is super amazing. I got the Brookstone one, it''s $50. It cleaned crud from all types of small areas that even a tiny brush couldn''t reach.

The prongs actually don''t look as wonky IRL as they do in that picture. Hmm.. I think they are safe for now, but have already prepped FI by telling him I''ll probably need a new setting in the next year and a half or so.

It looks like the setting was made to hold a 2-2.5 carat and they put the bigger stone in but actually bent the prongs out a bit to accommodate this? Sadly, at the time I did not have the $2K+ that it would cost for the setting I liked and just spent .. I think it was $800 to re-shank and re-tip 6 of the 8 prongs (which they will never get my business regarding THAT again).

I am more worried that a hard blow from the top (like pushing the diamond into the basket further) would result in a chip. Blah! I''m not going to worry anymore. It''s insured. It''ll be fine.

Date: 12/18/2009 9:04:24 AM
Author: meresal
Here is mine... almost identical to yours, just square cuts instead of round.

I think that my stone ''sits'' in my setting as well, and the prongs are just reinforcement to hold it in.

Have you tried to use disposable mascara wands that you get at the make-up counters at the mall?

That''s a good idea- same with the dental wand thing!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB
my wife''s 3 stone ring is set in the same style as yours. most of my wife''s jewlery are set in basket style. i use an US cleaner on all of her jewelry.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is set almost exactly like yours Swedish Bean.

I''ve been cleaning it daily in a drop of mild liquid dishwashing cleanser with warm water and rinsing. Wiping after with soft fabric. Takes off oil and grease. I read this on some website, seems to be working - no build up. If this isn''t right, someone please let me know the correct thing to do. I''m trying to go easy on the setting, taking it off for housechores, shower, when near chemicals, etc.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB, mine is a three-stone with a basket/trellis type setting, so I know how you feel about trying to get into all the little nooks and crannies! I have Frontgate''s version of the Salton Jewelry Spa and I LOVE IT!!! Here it is.

It''s about $30 more than you''re looking to spend, but it is sooooooooooooooo worth it! Shortly after I got mine, I was raving about it to my Mom, so she asked me to clean her jewelry the next time she came over. She never, NEVER cleans her jewelry and she wears it allllllllllllll the time, so it was really, REALLY gunky! I mean like DISGUSTINGLY NASTY!!! You would have been horrified! But the Jewelry Spa cleaned it right up and gave it that "fresh out of the box" look. And since my Mom liked it so much, I got her one for Christmas!
9.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I have a diamond with a basket as well and struggle to keep it clean as well. I was told that you need a solution to loosen the dirt, and heat to make the dirt come off, like boiling water or something. (think of it like cleaning dishes in hot vs. cold water...)

I don''t have any powerful tools, I''m still trying to figure out a system that works for me. My ring is soaking as we speak...
40.gif
Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My side diamonds rest "in" the basket like you describe, and they get awfully dirty if I'm not careful about cleaning every day.

I've had good luck by boiling water and soaking my ring for maybe five minutes, putting it in the US, then using detergent and a baby toothbrush, and rinsing and drying with my hair dryer. The whole thing takes about fifteen minutes, but the sparkle is so very worth it
1.gif
. I also worry that if I don't get it totally clean the platinum will pick up dirt particles and turn into something of an abrasive - I don't want my wedding band scratched up!

The US and scrubbing without the boiling water soak is much less effective, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results