shape
carat
color
clarity

Pence shows how much HE respects women

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this case, honestly, I question the validity of the source. Notice that the "article" doesn't indicate where or when or in what circumstances the comments were made. Several news sources have indicated reported that Mike Pence disagrees with her statements (i.e.,http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-pence-i-dont-understand-michelle-obamas-critique-of-trump/) but not one has him speaking out with this level of detail or vitriol. And frankly, neither seem like his style.

You know I'm not a Trump supporter, but I suspect this whole article was "trumped up" to rile up those who would be attracted to this kind of stuff.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Gypsy :wavey:
I'm hoping I can reduce your blood pressure. The story actually originated at newslo:
Newslo is the first hybrid News/Satire platform on the web. Readers come to us for a unique brand of entertainment and information that is enhanced by features like our fact-button, which allows readers to find what is fact and what is satire.

Newslo’s “No Need to Satirize” brings you completely factual stories that are so ridiculous, they don’t need our trademark touch. Whenever you see #NNTS, you’re reading COMPLETELY real news that only seems too absurd to be true.
http://politicops.com/about-us/

When you hit the Show Facts button on the newslo page for the article (I wouldn't suggest actually going to the page 'cause of the pop-ups, etc.), it makes clear that only the first paragraph is true:

newslo_fake_article_re_pence.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This election man. I've lost the ability to detect sattire.

Thank goodness. Thank you both.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Newslo is the first hybrid News/Satire platform on the web."

Wasn't The Onion first?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1476575966|4087541 said:

I don't blame you. It doesn't come across as satire - there's no nudge-nudge-wink-wink factor or even an attempt at humor. I'd call it well-obscured attempt at mis-direction rather than satire.

But then, this election has pretty much done in my sense of humor (such as it was) too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankly, I have recently heard some very negative talk from middle of the road people about Pence. I heard someone on television a day or so ago say that he had been hoping that Trump would drop out and Pence would take over, but he now no longer felt that way. He felt that Pence was willing to go along with everything that Trump said and did and that he did not, now, think as well of Pence as he did when Trump first picked him as a running mate.

And how could anyone? I do not think as well of Paul Ryan. What does Ryan mean by saying that he will not campaign for Trump but that he still endorses him? How disgusted can be with Trump if he is endorsing him for President? I used to have respect for Paul Ryan, but I no longer do.

AGBF

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1476583650|4087569 said:
And how could anyone? I do not think as well of Paul Ryan. What does Ryan mean by saying that he will not campaign for Trump but that he still endorses him? How disgusted can be with Trump if he is endorsing him for President? I used to have respect for Paul Ryan, but I no longer do.

AGBF

Deb, I have the same problem about Ryan's comment. I cannot wrap my head around the logic. Truly, if anyone can help me, be it democrat or republican, understand how that comment can make sense, please.

"He will not campaign for Trump." "He still endorses him." Maybe I don't understand the meaning of endorse.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't endorsing just staying put and saying whom you'll vote for and want others to vote for, whereas campaigning is actually giving your time and energy to travel around giving speeches for a candidate?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have lost all respect for people on both sides of the aisle in this election, frankly. But yes, the Republicans have taken very hard hits.

I read this today and it hit home, made me really lose all faith in humanity, and also enlightened me. http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/15/13286498/donald-trump-voters-race-economic-anxiety

It does seem that the Republican party is splitting between the moderates and the 'alt right'.

And you know what? I wish that the Republican leadership would let it happen. Yes, they will lose a lot of voters. But they will pick up a ton of independents, libertarians and moderates to compensate.

I would have cheered if just one currently sitting Republican leader would have (without wishy washy waffling) said:

"Party unity is not a compelling enough reason for me to ignore the severe character defects of or the danger presented by a Donald Trump and basic human decency demands that I refuse to endorse him."

But apparently it was too much to ask.

To be perfectly fair: If the situation was reversed I have no faith any Democrats would do the right thing either.

We have a Catch 22 with elections for high positions of public office: You can't elect a 'regular Joe' because you need someone with experience in working with the system and with a good understanding of domestic and international policy. That's just a practical fact.

But most people who have that experience have been tainted and corrupted by it-- they are so 'morally flexible' and used to doing what is 'politically expedient' in order to win votes that they have no center core of morality or decency any more.

And that's how we get into messes like this election.

On top of that our media has devolved. They are no longer the 'fourth estate'. They are a liability to the political process and to public education these days. And no one, not the right or the left, trusts them.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1476610277|4087606 said:

On top of that our media has devolved. They are no longer the 'fourth estate'. They are a liability to the political process and to public education these days. And no one, not the right or the left, trusts them.

This. The media were and are complicit in allowing Donald Trump to make this election into a sideshow. And we have consumed the show; we have enjoyed the circus, part of the bread and circuses provided to us. Tavis Smiley really nailed it on MSNBC. Hearing his rant all at once was very powerful. One can also hear Jimmy Dore dissect it, which I found very informative.

Tavis Smiley's speech alone...http://www.msnbc.com/brian-williams/watch/tavis-smiley-on-the-last-days-of-the-election-783198276001

Tavis Smiley by Jimmy Dore...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ-DGQvW6ws

AGBF

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is very sad that I believed the article to be true.

That says a lot about Pence.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have lost all respect for people on both sides of the aisle in this election, frankly. But yes, the Republicans have taken very hard hits.

I read this today and it hit home, made me really lose all faith in humanity, and also enlightened me. http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/15/13286498/donald-trump-voters-race-economic-anxiety

Very interesting article. However, it does not discuss the variety of Republicans which I fall into. I am completely against the US becoming any kind of welfare state and this has nothing to do with race for me. It is because I am deeply against the thought that it is government's purpose to provide a living for its citizens. If you look at it very simply, the economy is a cart being pulled by those who work. Those who don't are in the cart. When there are more in the cart than pulling it, then we go nowhere but down hill.

This passage from the article is in opposition to everything I trust the government to be able or should do:

I actually agree that the current capitalist regime is failing. We need truly universal health care, universal child care, a universal child allowance or basic income, and programs to address deep poverty. Redistribution is a very good, necessary thing.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6003359/basic-income-negative-income-tax-questions-explain

When you add unbridled immigration (open borders) to this plan our country fails. This is JMHO.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1476631834|4087652 said:

Or it says a lot about our gullibility. Or our willingness to believe something that supports our world view. Just saying.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1476633917|4087659 said:

Very interesting article. However, it does not discuss the variety of Republicans which I fall into. I am completely against the US becoming any kind of welfare state and this has nothing to do with race for me. It is because I am deeply against the thought that it is government's purpose to provide a living for its citizens. If you look at it very simply, the economy is a cart being pulled by those who work. Those who don't are in the cart. When there are more in the cart than pulling it, then we go nowhere but down hill.

This passage from the article is in opposition to everything I trust the government to be able or should do:

I actually agree that the current capitalist regime is failing. We need truly universal health care, universal child care, a universal child allowance or basic income, and programs to address deep poverty. Redistribution is a very good, necessary thing.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6003359/basic-income-negative-income-tax-questions-explain

When you add unbridled immigration (open borders) to this plan our country fails. This is JMHO.

Redwood, The article was not about Republicans. It was about Trump supporters, which you have never been.

And I agree with you that the author has extreme economic views. But that does not negate the rest of the article.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1476645529|4087697 said:
redwood66|1476633917|4087659 said:

Redwood, The article was not about Republicans. It was about Trump supporters, which you have never been.

And I agree with you that the author has extreme economic views. But that does not negate the rest of the article.

No I never have been but some who think like I do are and overlook his abject failings. In fact many red states that voted Trump as their nominee have plenty who think like I do. My state did not vote for Trump in the primary but many here are now willing to vote for him in the general election. They are not the people in the article either.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you sure?

Most people hide their racism very well, in my experience.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1476674030|4087783 said:
Are you sure?

Gypsy please do not tell me that you think every person voting for Trump is a racist. That is quite a condemnation of tens of millions of people. It does not say much for Hillary either that the race is as close as it is.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1476681751|4087809 said:
Gypsy|1476674030|4087783 said:
Are you sure?

Gypsy please do not tell me that you think every person voting for Trump is a racist. That is quite a condemnation of tens of millions of people. It does not say much for Hillary either that the race is as close as it is.

Yes I do. Let me explain why.

There are, IMO, different types of racism. First and foremost, ALL types are harmful. But not all are immediately apparent.

Most people do not think of 'racist' as just someone who is believes in their own racial superiority (which is the dictionary definition), there are a host of connotations of 'ignorant', 'white', 'redneck', 'hillbilly', 'bad person', that are assumed along with the word racist.

So when people say "I'm not a racist" it is (ironically) because they don't fit the STEREOTYPE OF RACIST that they have in their heads.

But that doesn't mean they AREN'T racist. Because the sterotype isn't reality. VERY FEW racists actually fit the stereotype. MOST racists do not.

It's like the conversation you and I once had about the word ignorant. I called someone ignorant and you asked me if I thought the person was stupid or an idiot. And I clarified that I meant the actual dictionary definition ignorant which is= lacking knowledge or uneducated.

For me a racist is someone who meets the dictionary definition of the term which is as follows: "a person who believes in the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."

That doesn't meant they are bad people. That doesn't mean they are ignorant or stupid, or a redneck or ANY of the other attendant assumptions people imagine when they hear the word.

MANY of the people who ARE racist and unaware of it. And many of them are actually REALLY great people, otherwise.

Take my MIL. She is an amazing, generous, sincerely wonderful loving woman. She is also racist. She doesn't consider herself to be so. But she is.

I have a 100 examples, but this is the most recent. She said she was upset at all the anti-Muslim rhetoric that she was hearing around her and that she felt the need to speak up. So what did she say, "My DIL's family is Muslim. They don't hear the head scarf or the robes, they don't pray 5 times a day, and they were educated here in the US. They are normal every day people. You wouldn't even know that they are Muslim. Some Muslims are normal."

Now, she was GENUINELY doing the right thing. She was standing up to the racism SHE saw. But her viewpoint, her WORDS themselves though, they reveal HER belief that those OTHER Muslims the ones that wear the head scarf and who pray according to their religious dictates, they ARE NOT "normal", they are inferior to "normal every day people" and that THOSE Muslims, they DESERVE the racist comments SHE felt were upsetting when aimed at the "good Muslims" she knows.

Many people are what I call 'casual racists'. These are the people who don't consider themselves as racists at all, but do not say anything or DO anything when they hear or witness racism. These are the people who say to themselves that they are being 'polite' or diplomatic' but they stay silent and let the vocal racists speak unchallenged. Again most of these people are good people at heart. But by not speaking out, by keeping quiet, they are enabling the behavior, even if they aren't actively engaging in it themselves. And TO ME, that makes them racists. Because if they REALLY were NOT okay with it, THEY WOULD WALK AWAY. If they were OFFENDED BY IT, they would not enable it.

Trump has called Mexican's rapists, aligned himself with white supremacists, and has a history of discrimination against black and Hispanics in his own business dealings. He has stated that all Muslims are a threat to this nation, and he even MADE UP LIES about Muslims cheering 9/11. He started the witch hunt Birther movement and kept it up for 8 years.

And it wasn't until he showed that he was a threat to WHITE WOMEN some people started to turn their backs on him.

PART of being a 'casual' racist is allowing your public officials to engage in this behavior unchecked. Because the minute Trump said what he said about Mexicans and aligned himself with white supremacists is when the NOT racist conservative friend I have jumped ship. They had too much personal integrity to allow THEMSELVES to be complicit in that behavior.

So YES, by definition EVERYONE who is voting for Trump is a racist. Because they are COMPLICIT in HIS racism, they are ENABLING IT by continue to support him and they are not acting against it. That makes them racist to me.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1476636034|4087668 said:
House Cat|1476631834|4087652 said:

Or it says a lot about our gullibility. Or our willingness to believe something that supports our world view. Just saying.
This made me laugh out loud!

Now I know what it means to be a Fox News viewer!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy thank you, as always, for your thoughtful post. I understand the definition of racism in the dictionary version. But you add additional caveats to it by deeming them racist if they are not an advocate or don't admonish unseemly behavior by being a "casual racist" as you call it. What people should do has been discussed around here a lot lately. I do understand your view but I do not agree that calling tens of millions of people racist by your new definition is helpful either. IMO it is both derisive and divisive. I do not say this to start an argument.

My views are pretty simple because I lead a pretty simple life. There are 3 kinds of people:

1. Criminals

2. People who are decent in the dictionary definition and/or who do their own thing without causing harm to someone else.
de·cent
ˈdēs(ə)nt/
adjective - conforming with generally accepted standards of respectable or moral behavior.

3. People who aren't #2 or #1

In these 3 types there are all colors and creeds. I do not like big cities because I get apprehensive being around so many people and there is more opportunity for coming in contact with #1 merely based on numbers.

With respect always.

Red

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We'll agree to disagree. ;)) And thank you for your thoughts.

With regard to racism, this sums it up for me. If you aren't part if the solution then you are part of the problem.

tmp_17600-images-1340255896.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This website also shows how much Mike Pence respects women. Tim Kaine asked him in the Vice-Presidential debate why he didn't trust women. It is clear from the laws he passed as Governor of Indiana, that he thought women's activities, down to the minutiae of how they would dispose of their fetuses, although the United States assures everyone a right to religious freedom, had to be in the hands of government. And this man is a conservative? Talk about Big Government! When did Government put its hands on my fetus? Now I have never been pregnant, but my mother did suffer a miscarriage. I don't think she would have wanted to have to try to bury that fetus (or embryo). And I bet it would be illegal to force her! But back in the days when she was getting pregnant, people had more sense. The man is an idiot.

Link...http://chicagoist.com/2016/10/10/trust_us_you_dont_want_a_mike_pence.php

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results