shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
Pear Brilliant
7.66x4.31x2.60
.52carats
Depth 60.3
Table 60
Girdle Medium to Thick Faceted
Culet None
Polish/Symmetry Good
SI2
Characterizations Twinning wings (what''s this?)
E
Medium Blue

Does this sound like a good cut for a pear?
Any comments are appreciated.
Jackie S

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Jackie,

Try to visit this site: http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt2.htm

Dave Atlas, AKA Oldminer, has developed these cut parameters for pear shapes. While he will be the first to tell you that these parameters are not dispositive of a good cut pear, they are definately a great starting point. I have had very good success using these charts in my search for a pear.

Second, the length to width ratio of that pear in 1.78:1. ie the length is 1.78 times longer than the width. IMO, that is too long and narrow. Try looking for something more around a 1.60:1 ratio, or go to some different local stores and view different l/w ratios to determine what YOU like.

Although the information you gave is a good start, there is a bit more information that is needed to determine if the diamond has potential to be a good cut. Notice I say potential because in pears you are never guaranteed by the numbers that you will have a good cut, only by actually viewing the diamond.

Things such as the crown height and pavilion depth. You also want to make sure the shape is pleasing and the diamond does not have squared shoulders. This is an SI2 which may or may not be eyeclean. If money allows, get something that is eyeclean. You will not like it down the road if you can see a big black carbon spot right in the center.

Do a search on pears. I am sure you will find a lot of my threads of when I have been looking for ideas on pears. There is one thread out there where Rich made some diamacalc pictures of different l/w ratios for me to compare. Very helpful.

Try to go and look at as many you can to get an idea of what to look for.

Also, what company produced the gem report on this?

Lastly, I have been working with Jonathan at Goodoldgold to find a pear shape. Of cource I am very picky and looking for the cream of the crop pear. I am sure he can help you too. He has been great to work with and very informative.

Good luck and let me know if you get other questions.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What are you going to do with the diamond? A long shape is sometimes okay for a pendant or a special use. As you have been already advised, most people will sleect a somewhat rounder shape for a solitaire ring.

I try to stay away from thick and very thick girdle diamonds. They tend to show less size for their weight. The larger length and width looks better than a thick edge.

It is more difficult to buy a fancy shape without looking at it, but it can be done.

aislingmaire

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! I was afraid it was too long/skinny. I guess I will pass on this one.
sad.gif

Thanks
Jackie S

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results