shape
carat
color
clarity

pear dimension

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
what dimension does a pear diamond have for
1 carat 8x6.4m?
1.50 carat 9x6m?

Does a well cut or typical 1 carat pear looks as big as a 1c round?

I am interested in a pear pendant; I do have a 1c round pendant which looks good size; somehow I look at 1c pear, it looks so small.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Are you asking what the dimensions should be for a well-cut pear? I'm not sure what you mean by the dimensions you give (e.g. 8x6.4m?)

Take a look at Dave Atlas's cut charts at www.gemappraisers.com to get an idea of well-cut fancy proportions. Pears are different because or their non-symmetrical-ness. You need to first determine for yourself the L:W ratio you like best and then seek out stones that fit your bill.

Fancies are cheaper per carat because they can be cut with less waste from the rough. Whether one shape looks bigger is purely in the eye of the beholder, but I imagine a pear will always come up shy to a well-cut round. Especially a rather deep pear.

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
The shape calculator at http://www.gemappraisers.com/ is an AWESOME tool! Very fun to play with. I found I really like a 1.65 - 1.70 ratio on the pear cut.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
what do you mean L:W ratio, if ratio is bigger than 1.50 which is recommended by Dave Atlas' chart 1.50-1.75 means pear is bigger than if ratio is less than 1.50?

8x6.5m means L=8m, w=6.5m

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Correct. I am about to trade for a 2.62 carat pear with a L:W ratio of 1.69:1. The dimentions are 12.79 mm long by 7.55 mm wide. I happen to like the ration because it gives an elegant elongated look to the stone. Many people like a 1.4:1 ratio on the pear shape.

Pull up the shape calculator on one browser, and on another browser use pricescope's diamond search for one carat pears. Then use the shape calculator to "See" the different shapes a one carat pear can have. Then you will see the difference in ratios, and can choose for yourself which you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results