shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear diamond???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I need help deciding a a diamond for an engagement ring. I found a 1.00 ct pear 8.47 x 5.72 x 3.56 d/vs1; 62.2% t.depth; 51% table; no fluor; small to no cutlet; pol/sym both good; girdle slightly thin to slightly thick; pavilion and crown, I don't have exact %s but after looking at dozens of stones and doing lots of reseach I can say they are well proportioned to each other. i.e. the crown isn't to thin the pav. doesn't seem overly thick. The jeweler is asking $6400. My concerns are with the small table and slightly large t.depth. I know the AGA suggest a t.depth of up to 63% for quality cut pears, but I have also heard not to go over 61% to maintain maximum quality. My number one concern is with the cut and minimizing the bowtie effect. Could someone coment on this stone and give me some advice.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Smaller table usually causes deeper stone.

Imagine a cone. If you cut the top too low, the cut area will bee larger and vice versa.

I'm not sure whether 51% table is too bad.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply.

what do you think about the so called 61% rule. By the way that is another fred c. rule. I have read many negative comments about him on this forum.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Cnuddeje, there are many combinations of diamond proportions that can yield a beautiful diamond. GIA admitted it in 1998 for round diamonds.

Fancy shapes even more complex objects. Playing only by table and depth % is not accurate.

Fixing one of them is pointless. As I shown above, different table size can cause different total depth while all the angles (which are more important for light reflection than depth%) will be the same.

It is MUCH more important that YOU have seen many stones and like this particular one.

The only reason you might not want a deep stone is that it looks smaller for its weight. But I don’t think this is the case.

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I would want to see a larger table size that will give the diamond a better light refrection.
You should be able to get a diamond like this for $5400-5900.

Glad to help.

Isaac
www.dSCAASI.com:appl:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results