shape
carat
color
clarity

Peachy spinel prices?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I haven’t been on the hunt for spinel for some time, but as I have been perusing recently it seems prices have gone a bit crazy!

I have just started looking for a 5ct-ish peachy pink spinel(light to medium saturation) and was wondering what kind of price per carat is considered a decent range these days?

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I agree that prices on most colors of spinel have been increasing as of late. I think price per carat depends on the color, clarity, and dimensions of the stone. Does the stone have any brown or grey modifiers and does it change colors in different light sources? About four years ago, I paid $3995 for a 3.5 carat pad colored spinel. I did not keep the spinel but it did not have any eye visible inclusions, was precision cut, and was an ideal pad color with no brown or grey.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I agree that prices on most colors of spinel have been increasing as of late. I think price per carat depends on the color, clarity, and dimensions of the stone. Does the stone have any brown or grey modifiers and does it change colors in different light sources? About four years ago, I paid $3995 for a 3.5 carat pad colored spinel. I did not keep the spinel but it did not have any eye visible inclusions, was precision cut, and was an ideal pad color with no brown or grey.

I agree so much else to consider other than color alone when pricing stones :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone purchased from Glenn Preus before? I came across his IG page and he seems to have so many lovely stones:kiss2:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
That stone reminds me of an Ashoka cut-kind of fun!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm excited to see where this goes!
I'm finding spinel prices are going through the roof lately because they're now kind of designer du jour. Makes it tougher to find bargain stones in larger sizes unless you're lucky to be nearer to the source. But, for what they are, still a great buy.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I'm excited to see where this goes!
I'm finding spinel prices are going through the roof lately because they're now kind of designer du jour. Makes it tougher to find bargain stones in larger sizes unless you're lucky to be nearer to the source. But, for what they are, still a great buy.

I feel the same that spinel have definitely reached the mainstream, but I can't fault them as there are such beautiful options out there-I have always really loved spinel!

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Would you consider other stone like garnet? They have some beautiful colors. Here is mine. The orange one is garnet. But they do shift color a lot more than spinel, which is the pink one here 7ACD3745-1651-462E-B794-95BE2E262B98.jpeg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Would you consider other stone like garnet? They have some beautiful colors. Here is mine. The orange one is garnet. But they do shift color a lot more than spinel, which is the pink one here 7ACD3745-1651-462E-B794-95BE2E262B98.jpeg

Lovely stones! I do have a few garnets with color similar to what I am looking for, but actually haven’t set them in the many years I’ve had them because of the color shift. I really love garnets, but this go around have decided on spine-thanks for the suggestion though :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea of your budget / size requirements, or if you’d buy from an international Instagram vendor...but I found these a while back and they very reasonable

I have never worked with this vendor but wanted to share! This parcel is sold but I bet they have others

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea of your budget / size requirements, or if you’d buy from an international Instagram vendor...but I found these a while back and they very reasonable

I have never worked with this vendor but wanted to share! This parcel is sold but I bet they have others

Thank you for the suggestion, I would feel comfortable purchasing from certain international sellers, especially if it were a low priced item.

alimal941

Rough_Rock
I haven’t been on the hunt for spinel for some time, but as I have been perusing recently it seems prices have gone a bit crazy!

I have just started looking for a 5ct-ish peachy pink spinel(light to medium saturation) and was wondering what kind of price per carat is considered a decent range these days?

Please share if you find a source; I’m looking for a peach-pink spinel, 2.5-4 ct .

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I actually ended up purchasing the stone above from Glenn Preus. I’m waiting on a pair Cadillac cut sides to see if they will be a good fit with the spinel.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually ended up purchasing the stone above from Glenn Preus. I’m waiting on a pair Cadillac cut sides to see if they will be a good fit with the spinel.

It is such a stunning stone, it truly took my breath away

please share photos and progress!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean Thank you, will do :) The designer I was planning on using has become terribly unresponsive, so I am now on the hunt for someone else-ugh!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Spinel has now become an official birthstone for August so I agree it’s reached the mainstream!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean Thank you, will do :) The designer I was planning on using has become terribly unresponsive, so I am now on the hunt for someone else-ugh!

I have a grey spinel from Glenn. Your stone is gorgeous!!!! Do you happen to have a picture of the setting you have in mind.?I love cadillac sides! I'm sorry you designer stopped responding to you. One would think they could at least say they are too busy right now! I hope you find a designer you are thrilled to work with!!!!

Zanter

Rough_Rock
Is peachy =orangy pink? Like this?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@peppermintpatty Ooo Glenn has had some really lovely grey spinel that I have oogled in the past, do you have a post with your stone? I agree on the designer and hope to find another one that appreciates my business-so frustrating! I have not finalized her setting, if you have any ideas for her feel free to post them :)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@stepcutnut Glenn has so many beautiful gemstones. I could look at his Instagram page for days! My spinel is in the David Klass Colored Gemstones thread. Yes, nothing like feeling you are having to plead with someone to take your money. It's so rude! I am guessing you are doing a 3 stone since you are getting the cadillacs? I will have to think on it. What size is your spinel and your side stones? What size ring do you wear? That gives me some help with what exactly we are working with for your setting! Thanks again for sharing your drop dead gorgeous spinel! So excited to talk about settings!!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@peppermintpatty I will have to go check out your spinel, I love grey ones! Yes, planning a three stone at this point and considering a 5 stone as well if I feel like some extra length is needed with the cadillacs. My spinel is 14.84 x 8.47 and the sides are 5.90 x 3.10, ring size 6.25-6.5.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@peppermintpatty I search out your grey spinel from Glenn, absolutely gorgeous! I actually have had it saved in my ring inspiration folder :kiss2:

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@peppermintpatty I will have to go check out your spinel, I love grey ones! Yes, planning a three stone at this point and considering a 5 stone as well if I feel like some extra length is needed with the cadillacs. My spinel is 14.84 x 8.47 and the sides are 5.90 x 3.10, ring size 6.25-6.5.
I wish I could wear something that big and beautiful! I see so many colors in your spinel. It's absolutely mesmerizing! In that same thread the ring that I sold had an old mine cut green beryl. Glenn cut that too! Such an exquisite stone, but it was too big for me. I think it's wonderful that so many Pricescopers can rock a big rock!!! :)

If you go 5 stone, what are you thinking? Bullets, baguettes, carre, French cuts! I'm so excited for you!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@peppermintpatty I've also considered setting it E-W or like the idea of of pyrimid stacked frenchies or long lean baguettes! If I don't use the Cadillac cuts with the spinel I have an emerald cab that I may use the with as well. 5309DD57-0E19-4D00-B140-A7CC44637B87.jpeg

Last edited:

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@peppermintpatty I've also considered setting it E-W or like the idea of of pyrimid stacked frenchies or long lean baguettes! If I don't use the Cadillac cuts with the spinel I have an emerald cab that I may use the with as well. 5309DD57-0E19-4D00-B140-A7CC44637B87.jpeg

@stepcutnut are you wanting a more modern look or vintage? I'm not sure with the length of the spinel that you would have enough finger real estate to go e/w and do side stones? I just can't get over how many colors sparkle in your stone! Takes my breath away!!!! Do you see that a lot in person? I think French cuts or peruzzi diamonds look stunning with you spinel!!!! Well really anything will look fabulous with that amazing stone! I just think the french cuts and peruzzi would be very special with your very special stone. I adore cadillacs, you truly can't go wrong!

alimal941

Rough_Rock
Has anyone purchased from Glenn Preus before? I came across his IG page and he seems to have so many lovely stones:kiss2:

The spinels are amazing! How do you find prices and descriptions on the gems? I haven’t seen any website, and the gem shows aren’t open to the public.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results