shape
carat
color
clarity

Pay for a GIA cert after purchase?

DarcyA

Rough_Rock
I wish I knew about this site before I got my new ring! I recently purchased a radiant diamond from the Shane company.
It's rated as a very good cut, 1.20 carats, H, VS1 with LxW 6.94 x 5.61 in a platinum setting. (They didn't have the depth.) When I picked up my ring, I assumed I was going to get a GIA certificate but they said it didn't come with one. They can get one for an additional $300, but it'll require me to leave them with my new purchased ring for 3-4 weeks. They said their appraisers are GIA certified and that their ratings would be the same as a GIA certificate.

My first question: Should I pay extra to get the GIA certificate? I have already paid for the ring. They do have a 60 day return policy.

My 2nd question: In certain lighting, I notice a dark circle at the center of my ring. Is this normal for a radiant cut with my ratings?

img_9524.jpg

img_9527.jpg

img_9531.jpg

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
Personally I would, every jeweler is going to say that their grading's are just as good but who knows. Also, when it comes to getting it appraised and insured a GIA certificate is amazing. I can't speak for the circle, I don't know anything about radiant cuts.

I would also ask that they cover the certificate if it doesn't come back as they have graded it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DarcyA|1443922609|3934622 said:
My first question: Should I pay extra to get the GIA certificate? I have already paid for the ring. They do have a 60 day return policy.
Yes, and tell them you want a refund if the stone doesn't come back H VS1 or higher.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I knew about this site before I got my new ring! I recently purchased a radiant diamond from the Shane company.
It's rated as a very good cut, 1.20 carats, H, VS1 with LxW 6.94 x 5.61 in a platinum setting. (They didn't have the depth.) When I picked up my ring, I assumed I was going to get a GIA certificate but they said it didn't come with one. They can get one for an additional $300, but it'll require me to leave them with my new purchased ring for 3-4 weeks. They said their appraisers are GIA certified and that their ratings would be the same as a GIA certificate.
They are full of B.S!....GIA does not certify any appraiser.

teklit

Rough_Rock
These ladies have given you some good advice, I just wanted to stop in and tell you that I like your setting, your whole ring is beautiful, but that design is one that has caught my attention. I like your style!

But yeah, those jewelers were d*cks for not disclosing that your diamond wasn't certified before purchase.
That's bad business on several different levels.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1443924105|3934633 said:
Yes, and tell them you want a refund if the stone doesn't come back H VS1 or higher.

I agree!

Q

Queenie60

I would insist upon a GIA certification. I recommend you leave the ring with them, they will need to dismount the stone as GIA will not grade a mounted stone. Prior to having them send the stone out I would confirm that they will pay for the certificate if it does not come back with their same grading or higher. Also, if it isn't graded equal to their specs, I would request a refund as they misrepresented the diamond. Lesson learned, do not by a stone that isn't GIA certified as youre not guaranteed to get what you have paid for. I wish you well!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
#1. GIA is a college. A significant fraction of the industry went there. They don't certify their graduates any more than any other college. Not that it's relevant to the current question but they don't even teach a class in appraising, much less offer a diploma in it.

#2. Here's GIAs fee structure. This doesn't include shipping, insurance, handling, store markup, or the labor associated with pulling and resetting the stone. Then again, if they had done it first, they wouldn't NEED to pay someone to pull and reset it.

http://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/diamond-grading

#3 Turnaround time at GIA is currently at a couple of weeks. Assuming you're not in Carlsbad or NYC, add a week each direction for shipping and you can count on a month. If you're planning on using the results as part of your shopping decision, you need to be completed before your return policy expires. In short, that means you're in a hurry.

#4 The Shaneco return policy (along with nearly everyone's) is void if you modify the piece. This would include taking the stone out to send it to GIA. There may be an exception here if THEY take the stone out but make sure to ask this question and don't have anyone else work on it before you resolve all of your questions.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, turn around at gia is afew days right now. Surprisingly fast. You could get lucky with a quick turnaround.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results