shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave settings- difficult to care for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

frozenmom

Rough_Rock
I am considering having my diamond reset into a pave setting. I work with my hands alot and encounter a lot of dirt and grime. I am wondering if the pave setting is going to be difficult to clean. Also, if the stones will be secure or tend to come loose? I am getting away from baguettes for these very reasons... want to make sure I am getting an improvement! Any advice would be appreciated!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read here that diamonds falling out is all part of having pave.
Just get used to paying to have the diamonds replaced.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pave won't be great for working with your hands and getting dirty. You should remove a pave ring before doing those kinds of things. You probably would do better with a plain metal band if you wish to wear the ring at all times.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. I would never suggest or recommend a pave ring for someone who is hard on their hands. Getting dirt on them would be difficult to clean and pave stones do have the potential to pop out, no matter how well made the setting. If you know your hard on rings, stay away from pave or don''t wear them when your working.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone has said. I have lost a melee from cleaning my e-ring in my US. Not very fun.

frozenmom

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. No way will my husband let me go with a plain metal band! I want something easy to care for that won''t detract from my center stone- it is a smaller stone but very good quality and I want to highlight it rather than overwhelm it...until I can upgrade
2.gif
Any suggestions?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
get the pave ring and get a plain band to wear when you know it''s going to get dirty???

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think channel set is suppose to be safer or shared prong/4 prong bands like Mara''s. There are many ways to add extra sparkle w/o pave.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Depending on what stones you have,how about flush set?
This is where the stones are set into the metal "flush" with no prongs,beads,nothing!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
my workhorse is a plain yellow gold solitaire with platinum prongs. I sew (abrasive fabric), garden, work with my hands and am a chemist. i destroy settings.

this is my third plain solitaire setting since 1994. there was actually a fourth setting but that was on only a week due to poor workmanship. i wised up to getting platinum prongs.

i own a pave setting and an "endless" setting, which both make me nervous. i only wear them when i am a "lady of leisure"

tell your man if he wants to replace your settings often then go right ahead and get the pave. you might want to consider a plain band for heavy work

londonchris is right about the flush setting. in five years when i need to reset again, i will consider illusion set, tension set and flush set.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I love pave, but am very hard on my hands. I wound up with a bead set band which I love. I liked the bead set over the channel set, but it is a personal preference. There are so many setting options....have fun looking!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
IMO, with your lifestyle, pave will not be your friend. I would steer clear of it -- you won''t be able to enjoy your ring if you have to take it off all the time, and by doing that you run the risk of losing it, dropping it down a drain, etc.

I have had a lot of problems with my setting, as lovely as it is. It was expensive and it just isn''t holding up. If I were planning a setting with sidestones, I''d make them channel set and be sure there were seats for the diamonds where there was no metal under them and they could be easily cleaned.

It''s good you are asking these questions BEFORE you get the setting! Kudos.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2006 10:09:04 AM
Author: NYCsparkle
I love pave, but am very hard on my hands. I wound up with a bead set band which I love. I liked the bead set over the channel set, but it is a personal preference. There are so many setting options....have fun looking!

Maybe this is a stupid question but isn''t pave set the same as bead set? At least on my e-ring it looks the same.
33.gif

Londonchris

Rough_Rock

Maybe this is a stupid question but isn''t pave set the same as bead set? At least on my e-ring it looks the same.
33.gif
Yes it`s basically the same thing. Bead set is generally named for single stones or a row of spaced stones,and pave is for multiple rows of close knit stones.
Here`s a pic (bit out of focus) of a flush set diamond pendant i set last week.

lastjob.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would maybe consider a very very thin milgrained channel set look instead. This should be able to withstand the Ultra sonic cleaner and will have a similar look. They can make these bands around 2mm.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chris. I do know and like flush set (burnished and gyspy set are the same right?) I just still don''t think bead set is good for a woman who is hard on her rings. Such a little piece of metal to hold the diamond.

kcoursolle- my wedding band is 2.5 channel set (with milgrain) and think a diamond stuck in the center would be a lovely idea. One of the reasons I went with channel set for my wb is so I *could* clean it in my US (a nerd I know but they work SOOO well!)

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I like the look of pave, but I don''t trust it. Missing tiny diamonds would drive me bonkers. I would recommend something with channel set side stones.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
How about channel set princess cut side stones? That way, they are secure, and there isn''t any space between them for dirt to get stuck.

channelsetprincesseskate.JPG

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
There is a setting very similar to this one (I actually like it a little better but only found it too late) on JamesAllen.com.

My center stone is a 1.04.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I lost 4 or 5 diamonds in 4 months on my new pave ring. search my user id and you can find the thread...I''d look it up, but i"m on quick here, I can help more on tuesday.

:)

I don''t wear my pave ring when I clean, do chores, bathe, or sleep, and it seems to help. I also clean it a lot less often in my US. once every 2 weeks, compared to every other day before (but I get it less dirty by taking it off when I wash my hands, shower, etc).

HTH

jeannine

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I have been fortunate so far not to have had any diamonds fall out of any of my pave set rings, but if I was to do it again, I''d probably go with shared prong. At some point I plan on possibly adding to or amending the design of my ring so at that time I might change it for that very reason...but I have not lost a single diamond. I have had my three rings for a year now and no problems at all.

If you are hard on your hands and are in grime or such, don''t take a chance. Take the advice mentioned here to heart.
emrose.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
arrrrghhhhhh....
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

So are ya''ll saying that my choice in wedding band.. might not be a good one? (see attached picture)

I have been excited for months that I had found THE wedding band.. now I''m all scared.. HELP!!!

beautifulWB.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaders, your wedding band will be beautiful. Londonchris was actually saying setting the stones that way (like in your band) would be safer...

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Ok.. my heart stopped thumping out of my chest... let me see if I understand... this is all such a HUGE learning experience:

With Pave, if looking at the profile, would you actually see the side of the diamond... Like that table is "above" the metal..

And with Flush or burnished... if you are looking at the profile, you see nothing? Like the table is "flush" with the top of the metal in the ring? This is why its a safer set?

I feel a little bit better! I think!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jaders, that is a very safe setting. Each melee is held in by A LOT of metal vs. pave that had mini prongs.

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
Whew!!!!

I feel so much better.. sorry for the little hijack!!!

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Smaller size stones under .10 should have the table flush with the metal in both settings as a general rule,though some stones maybe cut with a steeper angle.
Basically the girdle is set just below the surface,and if it`s too low this causes setting problems.
If larger stones had the table level with the metal the girdle which is the part being held would be way too low.
Some pave may be very fine and intricate but it really can be hardwearing aswell.
Depends on the design and how you treat it.
Any ring will suffer if your going to be rough with it.
Also any type setting is only safe if it`s been done properly in the first place.
There is only a small amount of metal holding in a flush set,but a little is all thats needed.
The only trouble would be if the stones were badly set,the ring gets abused,sized or is rather thin and bends slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results