shape
carat
color
clarity

Paul Harvey''s 10 Commandments for a Responsible Pet Owner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
There''s been so much talk about ill and ailing pets lately, I thought of this. My cat of 18 years (who lives with my folks still) was just diagnosed with cancer. So I thought I''d post this. It really tugs at my heart strings.

Paul Harvey''s “Ten Commandments for a Responsible Pet Owner” as dictated by the pet.

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, and yet I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old.

10. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can’t bear to watch. Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so.

Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.

Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God’s critters.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Number 10 has me in tears. I was with my beautiful girl, and can''t imagine not having done that.

I''m going to go play and cuddle with my kitties now.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:05:09 PM
Author: princesss
Number 10 has me in tears. I was with my beautiful girl, and can''t imagine not having done that.

Me too.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock

Me too. Please don''t flame me for saying this, but I have always thought that people who say ''they can''t bear to watch'' are selfish.

Choosing to be with my beautiful dog Finnegan and then my wonderful kitty Muffin when they passed away was so hard - but after 13 and 21 years of committment to me, it was the least I could do.

On a side note, my 2.5 year old niece came over on the weekend and mentioned my cat Muffin. I said "Muffin''s gone" with a sad face. She said "yes. Muffin''s gone. She''s in heaven".

I said "yes she is. I miss her". She said "it''s okay to miss her. She''s playing with Finnegan."

Kids are so amazing eh?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Oh man. Here come the tears!

I so wish I had been with my Bichon Lily when she passed. I was just in the next room being told by the vet that she had a massive liver tumor and would need to be euthanized. She passed away on a stainless steel table exam table while I was in the next room crying my eyes out looking at an x-ray. Needless to say I never set foot in that place again.

Some of these are really great advice. I try to remember not to get mad at my cat Charlie (I''ve posted about him here a few times) when he misbehaves because I know ultimately FI and I are all he has and if we are angry at him, he is all alone. Goodness knows his sister Emma won''t comfort him!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen this before and it always makes me tear up. Its funny because I''m generally very anti-mushy and not a big crier, but thinking about my sweet kitties gets me every time (heck, thinking about OTHER peoples'' sweet kitties gets me
20.gif
) - I''m a total sucker for them.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:01:14 PM
Author: october2008bride

Me too. Please don''t flame me for saying this, but I have always thought that people who say ''they can''t bear to watch'' are selfish.

Choosing to be with my beautiful dog Finnegan and then my wonderful kitty Muffin when they passed away was so hard - but after 13 and 21 years of committment to me, it was the least I could do.

On a side note, my 2.5 year old niece came over on the weekend and mentioned my cat Muffin. I said ''Muffin''s gone'' with a sad face. She said ''yes. Muffin''s gone. She''s in heaven''.

I said ''yes she is. I miss her''. She said ''it''s okay to miss her. She''s playing with Finnegan.''

Kids are so amazing eh?
I agree with you, October. So far, I''ve only had to put one animal down, but I told my folks, "when the time comes and you have to put my cat down, CALL ME! I''ll drive the 2 1/2 hours to be with him." Okay, I''ve gotta stop typing. My eyes are filling up.
8.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:01:14 PM
Author: october2008bride

Please don''t flame me for saying this, but I have always thought that people who say ''they can''t bear to watch'' are selfish.
i so agree with this.

mz

ps after all my cats have gone through with me, its the least i can do with them.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
number 10 made me cry
39.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I am just bawling thinking of my family''s darling dog telling us this. We rescued him after he was abandoned by his last owner, and I can''t even imagine how lonely and heartbroken he was when that happened. He is truly the most amazing, sweet, loving, trusting animal, and how anyone could betray him like that is unfathomable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results