shape
carat
color
clarity

Passport for the honeymoon and name change

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JR320

Shiny_Rock
I am really excited for our honeymoon because I''ve never traveled out of the US before, but I''m also a little clueless.

I don''t have a passport, so I will need to get one. Because of work schedules, we probably won''t be going on our honeymoon until about 4-6 after the wedding. So I guess my question is, will I be able to use a passport with my Maiden name on it? Do I need to get a new ID when I change my name or can I wait until after the honeymoon? do I even need to show my passport AND my ID?? do they need to match?

I''m so clueless about traveling! Thanks!

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
4 to 6 weeks? You just wrote 4-6. I would check to see how long it takes for a passport...it might take a couple of weeks, maybe even more. Most people don''t change their name until after all the travel is overwith. That way, your old ID matches with your old passport and there are no issues. I''m pretty sure that if you already have a passport, they just type an addendum on the back page saying that your new name is blah blah blah, which would match your new ID. I have several friends who have this addendum on their passports which have the maiden name still on there. You will definitely need to get a passport to travel if you are going out of the country, so I would get one now, just in case it takes awhile to get one after the wedding. One less thing to worry about! Then after you get back, you could legally change your name.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I did the same thing. You need to apply for your passport as soon as possible because it can take quite a bit of time to go through. Your driver''s license and passport will both still have your maiden name so you will be fine. (Don''t change your license until AFTER the honeymoon.)

JR320

Shiny_Rock
oops, yes I meant 4-6 weeks after the wedding. Yes, I will definitely need a passport, so I think I will just go ahead and get it now and plan to legally change my name AFTER the honeymoon... like you said, one less thing to worry about!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ditto - you don''t want to have any passport hassles to stop you going on your honeymoon!!

I am not sure what the laws are in the US, but here in Australia, even if you change to your married name with everything else, you can legally travel on your passport with your maiden name. You just need to show proof that that was your maiden name - ie marriage certificate etc.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 10:14:54 PM
Author: honey22
You just need to show proof that that was your maiden name - ie marriage certificate etc.

Agreed. Friends of ours traveled to Ireland and Scotland from the US on their honeymoon. The woman just brought a photocopy of their marriage certificate.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I honestly don''t think a photocopy of your marriage certificate will work. Some customs ppl could be real sticklers for the rules etc.

Honestly your best bet is to just get a passport with your maiden name. Then when you change your name apply for a new one. It''s another $75-$100 but NOT worth hassles on your honeymoon.

My passport is expired, I''m renewing it with my maiden name, but will be shelling another $100 in a few months when I change my name.

Upstate NY

Rough_Rock
lliang, if you have a US passport that has been issued less than 1 year ago, you can change your name without any charge.
emsmile.gif
If its after a year, you have to pay the $75-$100 fee.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:17:08 PM
Author: JR320
oops, yes I meant 4-6 weeks after the wedding. Yes, I will definitely need a passport, so I think I will just go ahead and get it now and plan to legally change my name AFTER the honeymoon... like you said, one less thing to worry about!

Definitely the safer choice! You''ll have a lovely honeymoon
1.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
This is exactly the same issue I have been fretting over. We go on our honeymoon the day after the wedding so I will not legally change my name til after the honeymoon so all my documents match.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results