Premium

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adorable!

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
LOL!! My bird loves to play peekaboo...

And here she is playing peekaboo with the couch...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too cute.

... another cute peekaboo parrot:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay before anyone rushes out to get a parrot watch this 26 minute video, "11 reasons to NOT get a parrot."

There are a zillion abandoned parrots languishing in a zillion parrot-rescue agencies because people do not do their homework before getting one. GRRRR! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

Dogs have been selectively bred by humans for around 40,000 years for qualities that please us.
Parrots not so.
They're at most a few generations removed from the wild.

They do NOT fit into our homes and families, regardless of how cute some 3 minute video is.
You must learn tons and drastically modify your home, family and expections if you want any chance of a really good experience for the bird and for you.
No matter how intelligent you are, the needs of parrots , especially social and psychological needs, are NOT obvious.
There is tons to learn.

Please please please watch all of this video.
Tell anyone you know (who's considering a parrot) to watch it.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @kenny my son had violin lessons and for weeks I could hear this bird screeching, wondering what it was after the lesson we walked across the road and followed the sound, turns out it was a beautiful light blue (Aqua) and yellow/golden Macaw. It looked like this;

:

The owner actually saw me trying to lift my son up and came out and let us in, what had happened was a family he knew from another state from us in Sydney owned the bird all the neighbours complained about it and they had to get rid of it. The guy bought the house and it had a massive bird avery/enclosure so he offered to take the bird.

It was there a few months and then I suspect the neighbours complained and he had to move it on to somewhere else. He admitted to me that when he got home from work he spent as much time as he could in the cage with the bird, but he had young kids, a dog and a full time job....

The point being these are social animals that fly in flocks, they don't do well on their own in a cage being left all day because families have to work or go to school. People buy them not realising they are full time pets, cared for properly they live a long time too.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@xsouzie, that is the cutest! Do you mind me asking how you are able to have a Starling? I thought they were "wild" birds although all birds are technically wild, I had no idea how intelligent they are!

@arkieb1, people definitely don't realize how much care birds require and how long they live too, we have two cockatiels, Jack and Mr. Gray and they are lovely birds but they can be loud and very messy and they will be with us for a long time...probably over 20 years, it's definitely a commitment.

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
@xsouzie, that is the cutest! Do you mind me asking how you are able to have a Starling? I thought they were "wild" birds although all birds are technically wild, I had no idea how intelligent they are!

@arkieb1, people definitely don't realize how much care birds require and how long they live too, we have two cockatiels, Jack and Mr. Gray and they are lovely birds but they can be loud and very messy and they will be with us for a long time...probably over 20 years, it's definitely a commitment.
They're not a protected species where I'm from so they are legal to keep as pets. =)2

It's funny how we came about her ownership...found her on the sidewalk by our house when she was just a few days old. We couldn't find a nest or her parents nearby so brought her home. The plan was to keep her until she could fly and release her. Come to find out she would never survive if we did that. Human imprinted birds don't know how to hunt for food, they're not scared of people and the flock would never accept her because she's different.

So we made the decision to keep her and I've had to change my whole life around for this little bird. My husband and I just bought a new house and we pretty much demolished everything inside to build our house around the bird. Carpeted stairs were ripped out and hardwood stairs put in...it's easier to clean up accidents, new kitchen cabinets with a counter depth fridge, wood burning fireplace was removed and an electric one was put in the wall, I donated all my good pans and replaced them with PTFE and PFOA free pans..the list goes on!!

The first time I met with our contractor, he said to me "So this is the boss" and my husband replied "No. The bird is the boss" and it's true. :lol: Starlings in the wild usually live 5-6 years but in captivity, they can live 20+ years so it's a big commitment...I get that and I just want to give her the best life possible. She has free range of our house and only goes in her cage to sleep. There's always someone home with her at all times and yet, she still manages to get into trouble. The other day, there was a loose hair tangled up in her leg and we had to turn off the lights to catch her and cut it off.

Okay, I'll stop talking now LOL...I can literally write a novel because she is such a character!

One more thing...the talking? Everyone is so surprised when I tell them my starling can talk. They have the ability to mimic any sound they hear so when they're around people, they will pick up speech. And animal sounds too. She meows like a cat all day long. And oh my gosh, is she ever smart...here's a video of her correcting herself after calling me a bird. In her summer plumage and in need of a beak trim :oops:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well she is adorable and how wonderful that you rescued her, she obviously is very loved and found the best home @xsouzie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results