shape
carat
color
clarity

Parents Unaware of Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anonymous1

Rough_Rock
Hey guys... I am a noob... just found this place. I need help!!! I just picked up the ring this weekend.

I have an unusual situation. I am currently living with MY parents, and they do not know that I am about to propose to my girlfriend. It's a long story, but I do not want to get them involved until AFTER we are engaged. HER parents are well aware of the situation (already received their blessing and everything). We live about three-four hours apart in New England. I only see her on weekends.

I want to propose to her very soon. But I don't have any real plans yet!!! She'll be down 4th of July weekend, which is the anniversary of our first date... so I want to propose to her while watching fireworks from the boat. But... I don't have family/friends who are in the know around here to help me set up this...

Long story short... I need some proposal ideas for on or around the 4th. Something really romantic, but not requiring a whole lot of effort from outside help--something I can accomplish without friends/family around to set things up or help me with anything. Any ideas?

OH... there is this thing called "waterfire" coming up really soon, too. They light up a river in the small city nearby with floating log holders (www.waterfire.com). I could also propose there... but don't know how to make that romantic because I do not own any real dress-up clothes.
sad.gif

THANKS! I'm still reading your posts, getting my own ideas... and if I have suggestions, I'll post replies.

A-1

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
OH.....DEFINITELY do the waterfire thing........how romantic!

You don't NEED dress-up clothes for waterfire. People go downtown in normal clothes (jeans, shirts, etc) and hang out near the river. You could go on a gondola ride and propose then.....after dark when the bonfires are running in the middle of the river.

VERY cool idea.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hey Anonymous1! Welcome to PriceScope!

To me the best dressed man is one who wears his clothes well. Clean, pressed, well fitted. I have seen many men in suits who look sloppy, wrinkled, slumpy, etc...

As I see it, if you own a nice shirt, pressed or not, as long as it's clean, and a nice pair of pants, khakis or something of the like, then that's absolutely fine. I'm not a jeans fan, but if that's what you got, then wear them well, clean them, and try to just press out any major wrinkles (but don't go overboard and make them totally starch straight!)

And confidence, and a good smile makes the outfit on ANY man!

Sounds like a great idea, I wish you the best, please post the details!!! Best of luck!!!

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
I sound like a parrot when I keep repeating this, but it is so true...romance is not a place, a restaurant, a flower, a gondola, pressed clothes or a fancy meal. It is a feeling. It's about two people in love. All those other things are nice set dressing, but they're not BY ANY MEANS a recipe for romance.

Doesn't sound to me like you need any help at all. You've already got a couple of great ideas. Pick the one that appeals to you the most...that somehow fits with what you feel and then relax, be honest, and enjoy the moment.

Chris

anonymous1

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for all the help. I have now decided that I will do it at WaterFire. I talked to a friend, telling her about everything from here has told me, and she agreed. She added, "The boat plan is more YOUR thing, the WaterFire idea is more a YOU TOGETHER thing." I feel better now, knowing I can wear regular khakis and a decent (but not "dress-up") shirt. I still need to plan this more. I'll figure it out...

Thanks again. And by all means, please do keep the comments coming... I can still use more help!
1.gif

-Matt

AtlantaC

Rough_Rock
Just one more thing to consider in your plans...in private situations like the one you're planning, I wouldn't worry about scripting things out for you to say. Think about the why's and tell her- Why you love her; why you chose the Waterfire thing; why you want to ask her now; why you want to marry her. Sounds to me like you're well on your way to an incredible and memorable moment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results