shape
carat
color
clarity

Parents - do you pack your kids lunches?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow Guys! not sure about the juice thing... I know DH always gives DD juice as a treat like those squeeze it
23.gif
20.gif
whenever he takes DD to the grocery store... and here I am,,,,NO! water only!!!
How bout Gatorade?... she seems to like the fruit punch ones the best? not sure I'll have to find some clever way of having her drink water, as I'm afraid she might not drink as much fluid while at school, She does fine with me at home as I have a huge jug of water that she likes to tug around with handles
37.gif
but I'll admit those juice capri suns and minute maid juices are quite handy and easily packed.

Jen- that sandwich sounds yummy!
18.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 11:30:29 AM
Author: D&T
wow Guys! not sure about the juice thing... I know DH always gives DD juice as a treat like those squeeze it
23.gif
20.gif
whenever he takes DD to the grocery store... and here I am,,,,NO! water only!!!
How bout Gatorade?... she seems to like the fruit punch ones the best? not sure I''ll have to find some clever way of having her drink water, as I''m afraid she might not drink as much fluid while at school, She does fine with me at home as I have a huge jug of water that she likes to tug around with handles
37.gif
but I''ll admit those juice capri suns and minute maid juices are quite handy and easily packed.

Jen- that sandwich sounds yummy!
18.gif
Gatorade is still really high in sugar. Think about it, it''s meant to help keep athletes going, and sugar is quick energy. My dentist said to avoid soda, juice, and Gatorade if I want to keep my teeth healthy. They''re just not good for you. We should all get our fruits from actual fruit, not fruit juice. It''s higher in fiber, lower in sugar, and triggers our body''s mechanism to know when we''re full (drinks generally don''t trigger it, but food does which is why you can drink a 72 ounce soda that has an insane calorie count and not feel full).

Also, if you search "lunch bag" on Etsy, there are some really cute reusable bags that you can pack snacks in. They''re only a few dollars each, and you don''t have to keep buying boxes of Ziplocks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 12:02:29 PM
Author: princesss

Gatorade is still really high in sugar. Think about it, it''s meant to help keep athletes going, and sugar is quick energy. My dentist said to avoid soda, juice, and Gatorade if I want to keep my teeth healthy. They''re just not good for you. We should all get our fruits from actual fruit, not fruit juice. It''s higher in fiber, lower in sugar, and triggers our body''s mechanism to know when we''re full (drinks generally don''t trigger it, but food does which is why you can drink a 72 ounce soda that has an insane calorie count and not feel full).

Also, if you search ''lunch bag'' on Etsy, there are some really cute reusable bags that you can pack snacks in. They''re only a few dollars each, and you don''t have to keep buying boxes of Ziplocks.
Gotta love this. . .from the gatorade website FAQ:

"While Gatorade should never be used as a substitute for milk, infants and toddlers can safely drink Gatorade once they are weaned off breast milk or formula and begin consuming food, fruit juices and other beverages."

Insane. My boys are never given Gatorade by me and the only times they''ve had it has been when OTHER parents give it to them after sporting events! It has a ton of sugar in it. IMO, it is the equivilent of a liquid candy bar.

As far as juice: I consider it a treat. It''s given out at parties and school events. I feel it''s in the same category as soda pop and since my kids are rarely given that, when they are I give them DIET soda. They probably drink soda TWICE a MONTH.

The do drink A LOT of water and in addition, milk.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Princess, and MC... I''ll try a couple of things with water, start off with a bottle water and then work from there. I have a few more weeks to figure this all out. I appreciate all of your insights everyone, I''ll check into Etsy about the reusable baggies too, hopefully it makes it home too
1.gif
otherwise just like DH, not sure where my tupperware ends up, I always have to more every few months.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
If you''re crafty, one of the sellers on Etsy will sell you the pattern so you can make your own. I think the pattern is $4 for 3 sizes of reusable bag. They look easy - nylon lining, cotton outside, and velco to seal it.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
If you label the tupperware/bags with your daughter''s name, they are more likely to make it back home (though it may not be same-day!). A lot of the tupperware nowadays have big tabs on the side that make them easy to open. Depends on the brand. Good luck!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 12:13:55 PM
Author: MC
Date: 10/30/2009 12:02:29 PM
Author: princesss
Gatorade is still really high in sugar. Think about it, it's meant to help keep athletes going, and sugar is quick energy. My dentist said to avoid soda, juice, and Gatorade if I want to keep my teeth healthy. They're just not good for you. We should all get our fruits from actual fruit, not fruit juice. It's higher in fiber, lower in sugar, and triggers our body's mechanism to know when we're full (drinks generally don't trigger it, but food does which is why you can drink a 72 ounce soda that has an insane calorie count and not feel full).

Also, if you search 'lunch bag' on Etsy, there are some really cute reusable bags that you can pack snacks in. They're only a few dollars each, and you don't have to keep buying boxes of Ziplocks.
Gotta love this. . .from the gatorade website FAQ:

'While Gatorade should never be used as a substitute for milk, infants and toddlers can safely drink Gatorade once they are weaned off breast milk or formula and begin consuming food, fruit juices and other beverages.'

Insane. My boys are never given Gatorade by me and the only times they've had it has been when OTHER parents give it to them after sporting events! It has a ton of sugar in it. IMO, it is the equivilent of a liquid candy bar.

As far as juice: I consider it a treat. It's given out at parties and school events. I feel it's in the same category as soda pop and since my kids are rarely given that, when they are I give them DIET soda. They probably drink soda TWICE a MONTH.

The do drink A LOT of water and in addition, milk.
Holy cow!! Gatorade for infants!!!

Maybe the reason kids don't want water is a) they've already been introduced to sugary tasty drinks or b) they aren't thirsty. When I was a kid our school cafeteria offered milk and the water fountain. No one crooked. As a mater of fact there would be a line at the drinking fountains and nothing tasted better than a cool drink after being out on the playground.

I think the main reason fruit juice has become so popular for kids' lunches is the easy packaging. The throw-away boxes and pouches complete with a straw--what could be easier to throw in a lunch bag. It's more about marketing that health.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I never packed juice for DD in elementary scholl. She had a water bottle around 4th grade (they let them keep it on their desk since school had no air conditioning) and other classes had a water cooler. At lunch she always bought milk. (She was and stlll is a milk fiend!)

When I was in elementary school (in the Dark Ages) we prepaid for milk a year in advance and it was handed out to us during lunch time. There was no such thing as juice boxes, water bottles, Gatorade, etc.

As to the Gatorade for infants/toddlers, I remember giving DD Pedialyte only when she had a fever or severe diarrhea or vomiting (she couldn't stomach milk) to help replenish her electrolytes and even then I watered it down a little.

ETA: I know that there are some Gatorade varieties now that are lower in sugar and I buy that for when DD plays soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results