shape
carat
color
clarity

Paranoid: Determine if I am buying the Right Stone?

ebaz

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am about to buy a stone and I'm just paranoid if it's not the correct one. The stone does not have an inscribed number done by GIA. However, I got one put on when it was sent to another appraiser when I said I was going to purchase it. Now, the appraiser inscribed the GIA number onto the diamond. I talked to another retailer and they said that the appraiser/lab is not allowed to put the GIA number onto the diamond? Is that right, what are the consequences? They said that the appraiser/lab should put on their own number which ties their certificate/appraisal to the GIA certificate.

I saw the stone lose and did the following due diligence:
1) Viewed it lose with loupe and saw that it was according to the inclusion map. It's an SI1 but very clean, retailer says it can pass for a VS1.
2) Weighed to match the cert, of 1.97
3) Looked through an H&A viewer and saw strong hearts and arrows
4) Color wise, it's a G. I can't really tell and not too concerned with this.

I'm looking to get it re-evaluated and inscribed again, but with another more reputable lab (Gemscan) in town (Toronto). We don't have GIA or AGS in town, so I'd have to send it to the US and rather not pay. A lot of retailers have diamonds inscribed by Gemsan using their own numbers which tie it to the GIA certificate. However, mind, did not at the time.

Hope anyone can help?

Thanks.

ebaz

Rough_Rock
Correction: SI1 can pass for a VS2.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I'd be a little bit worried about a GIA certified stone that doesn't have the inscription. How could the jeweler be sure it's that stone? Also, I'd be worried about Gemscan vs GIA. Could you ask the jeweler to send it to GIA for either verification (and inscription) or recertification?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inclusion mapping is a foolproof way to be sure the stone is the same as the stone of the GIA report. GIA report without inclusion map, the Diamond Dossier, will automatically come with inscription of the GIA report number on the girdle. The Diamond Grading Report will have the inclusion map, inscription can be request at an additional fee.

ebaz

Rough_Rock
centralsquare: The dealer isn't willing to send the Diamond to GIA because we're in Canada and there's no GIA offices here. They will send it to other labs in Toronto. There are three labs in town that perform inscriptions and will verify the diamond against the AGS report. All of which I can pick.

Stone-cold11: I could only find one inclusion through the loupe provided inclusion map - It's quite clean. The diamond dossier doesn't have a GIA inscription provided. Shall I get the loose stone appraised?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
So it is a diamond dossier type report without an inscription?

GIA has 2 main report type for colorless diamond, the diamond dossier and the diamond grading report. Diamond Dossier type report will not have inclusion map but will have the laser inscription. The diamond grading report will have the inclusion map, inscription is by request. So which one is your report?

ebaz

Rough_Rock
Yes, it has an inclusion map.

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
ebaz|1311951808|2979752 said:
There are three labs in town that perform inscriptions and will verify the diamond against the AGS report.

is it GIA or AGS originally? Mostly you say GIA but now it's AGS`?

What does viewing through the H&A viewer have to do with the grading report?

Have you seen the report in the shop on a piece of paper or did you check the report on the website of GIA/AGS?

ebaz

Rough_Rock
The diamond is also Hearts & Arrows Ideal Cut. I'm just verifying that it is indeed a H&A. I checked the report online and checks out okay so I'm going to purchase it.

Problem is, I wish all diamonds were inscribed by the Labs. Less of a headache in my opinion. But even then, I can't see the inscription via a loupe.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The labs do not grade if a stone is H&A.

Inscriptions can be polished away but the inclusion are like a fingerprint of the stone, each is unique.

ebaz

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11: Yes, they don't grade it as an H&A. However, the retailer says it is an H&A and showed me it through the viewer. It was just an added bonus. I will look hard for the inclusions. As the mapping only shows one on a few on the table. I wish there was available something more that x10 magnification.

ebaz

Rough_Rock
I used my maco lens to take some pictures of the diamond and was able to pick up the inscription on the girdle. I also compared my cert with the online cert. They ended matching so I have my own peace of mind. thanks all.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results