shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba: should I use buy cheap temp setting? Or save up?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will be picking up my first Paraiba from the mail tomorrow that desertrose got for me from Tuscan. It's about 5.81x5.81

I found a 10k gold pendant setting for under $50 (picture attached). The current stone in it is 6x6.

Do you think it's a dumb idea to temporarily have the stone set in this setting so I can wear it now, while I save up/plan on a true permanent setting (I want 18k gold)? Would my paraiba fit?

s-l400 (2).jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These stones are included and I'd try to set it at few times as possible. You take a risk every time a stone is set, even a clean one. Make sure your jeweler/setter is skilled and it's not being sent to someone who hasn't worked with Paraiba.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Paraiba are best set into either platinum (malleable) or 18k gold (softer metal). 14k is doable but riskier. There is no way I'd risk setting and resetting, especially into 10k, which I would expect too be a harder metal and might shatter paraiba.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok thank you both!!! I greatly appreciate your comments. I will wait then! I definitely had a feeling that setting and resetting may not be great for such a precious stone! I will start a new thread to show it off soon !!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think 10k gold is very strong and durable. I’ve had most stones come loose in 18k. My problem with trillion settings, and pears, for that matter, is that they’re usually three prongs. No matter what setting you get, obtain one with additional prongs to keep your stone secure, especially if you use a softer high karat gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results