shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Help: Any experience with "GIL" (Gemological International Laboratories)

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
I met with a seller today and he is selling a large tourmaline. Based on my current experience and looking at it through a 10x loupe, it definitely looks like a real stone and a Paraiba. He's a local collector I met through a gem club and he doesn't have a website or anything. I wanted to snap a few pictures to show you guys but my phone battery was dead.

It's a large stone with a slight glow and moderately included (average for Paraiba), the seller also claims it is Brazilian in origin. He's asking a reasonable price but no returns.

My main concern is the lab report. It comes with a GIL: http://www.gillabs.com/ certificate that claims it is Copper and Manganese bearing. Is GIL reliable enough for me to assume it's a true Paraiba?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By true Paraiba do you mean from Brazil? I think the lab would have to categorically state that.

How large is it? Doubt one can get a "large" Paraiba at a reasonable price...so something to think about.

No returns? No thanks.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGL and Gubelin are trusted labs that are good with colored gems. There may be more. I don't know what a fair price for a large Paraiba is these days. A clean stone will definitely be in the 5 figures. The clean, saturated stones are about $2000/carat for under a carat. I'm not sure what a moderately included stone would cost. What is the carat weight? Given everything you have said though, personally, I would pass.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
By true Paraiba do you mean from Brazil? I think the lab would have to categorically state that.

How large is it? Doubt one can get a "large" Paraiba at a reasonable price...so something to think about.

No returns? No thanks.

By reasonable price, I mean $1,000/CT. It's a little shy of 9 cts. The no returns is bothering me, but again, it's a collector not a vendor. I've just got my bonus from work and paid off the last of student loans, it's time for a treat :D.

I'm going to make him an ultimatum. I take the stone to a local Toronto lab (not as good as GIA/AGL but I can get it done in one day, everytime he's told me a stone has copper/mg, so has GIA) and if they say it's copper/Mg bearing, I'll go for it. Otherwise I'll pass.

It'll be a take it or leave it offer. That way, at least I'll know I'm getting a real paraiba(by real paraiba, I mean copper/Mg, not Brazilian). The stone is just above moderately included. Slightly included but again, acceptable for a large paraiba. Color saturation is a 6-7/10. My

He says it's Brazilian, but I'm not too concerned with origin, to be honest.

AGL and Gubelin are trusted labs that are good with colored gems. There may be more. I don't know what a fair price for a large Paraiba is these days. A clean stone will definitely be in the 5 figures. The clean, saturated stones are about $2000/carat for under a carat. I'm not sure what a moderately included stone would cost. What is the carat weight? Given everything you have said though, personally, I would pass.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beware of clarity enhancement of paraiba as well. Not all labs specify this treatment. It is also sometimes impossible to tell Brazilian origin on these stones.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Beware of clarity enhancement of paraiba as well. Not all labs specify this treatment. It is also sometimes impossible to tell Brazilian origin on these stones.

Hmmm....thank you, that is something I was unaware of. The seller has agreed to let me take the stone to accurate gem labs next week (he lives 2 hours away). I'll mention clarity enhancement to them, I'm sure they can test for it.

I trust Ben, he has a lot of experience and accreditations. Obviously, buying a $9,000 stone as-is is risky but I doubt I'll get a paraiba of this size and quality for this price ever again. Once I get a good report on it and know whether I lost my shirt or added a true gem to my collection, I'll update.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please show us if you buy it. Congratulations on paying off you student loans!

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Please show us if you buy it. Congratulations on paying off you student loans!
I met with a seller today and he is selling a large tourmaline. Based on my current experience and looking at it through a 10x loupe, it definitely looks like a real stone and a Paraiba. He's a local collector I met through a gem club and he doesn't have a website or anything. I wanted to snap a few pictures to show you guys but my phone battery was dead.

It's a large stone with a slight glow and moderately included (average for Paraiba), the seller also claims it is Brazilian in origin. He's asking a reasonable price but no returns.

My main concern is the lab report. It comes with a GIL: http://www.gillabs.com/ certificate that claims it is Copper and Manganese bearing. Is GIL reliable enough for me to assume it's a true Paraiba?

Thanks for the input, everyone. I decided to pass on the stone, Been pointed out a major fracture that he believes affects the structural integrity of the stone. One strong whack and it's Paraiba dust...the search continues!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good luck on your quest!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results