shape
carat
color
clarity

Pap smear came back as Class II - Should I start to panic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7.gif

The test result also says: "Metaplastic cells present" but negative for malignancy.

This is the second time I've had a Class II result. The first time was approx 3-4 years ago. Since then, I've been very diligent with my pap smears (thin prep), having had them done at least once every six months.

I'm going to research it on the 'net, but would appreciate hearing from PS'ers who have had the same result, or who are familiar with the terms.

I'm quite worried about it. I thought after numerous class I results during the last 3-4 years, that I was ok, but apparently not!!

The amazing thing is that I also insisted on another Colposcopy at the time I had the pap smear (before I got the result) and the Dr told me that everything was fine. Well, so much for that!!
20.gif

The gynae has recommended I come back for another pap smear in 3 months' time. I'm thinking, however, that perhaps I should go for another pap smear sooner than that, or perhaps there should be some other things I should be doing in the meantime?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 8:27:25 AM
Author:Phoenix
7.gif

The test result also says: 'Metaplastic cells present' but negative for malignancy.

This is the second time I've had a Class II result. The first time was approx 3-4 years ago. Since then, I've been very diligent with my pap smears (thin prep), having had them done at least once every six months.

I'm going to research it on the 'net, but would appreciate hearing from PS'ers who have had the same result, or who are familiar with the terms.

I'm quite worried about it. I thought after numerous class I results during the last 3-4 years, that I was ok, but apparently not!!

The gynae has recommended I come back for another pap smear in 3 months' time. I'm thinking, however, that perhaps I should go for another pap smear sooner than that, or perhaps there should be some other things I should be doing in the meantime?

Phoenix, have they done a biopsy or colposcopy yet? In my experience (in the States) if you have an abnormal pap you go in for a colpo which allows the doc to get a closer view of your cervix. They'll do a few tests, one with vinegar and one with dye and they'll possible take a biopsy sample for further testing. After that you'll go in every three-six months for follow up colpos/biopsies to see if anything has progressed.

If they see it progressing they're likely to suggest one of two treatments, cryotherapy or the LEEP procedure. With cryo they'll freeze the affected cells and your cervix will heal on it's own. With the LEEP procedure they'll use a device to excise the affected area of your cervix. Your cervix can then heal on it's own. Both procedures have their own negatives and positives. I've had both done and the cryo therapy didn't work the first time. I had to go back to have the LEEP procedure done one year later. My doctor prefers to have her patients sedated for the LEEP procedure, I'm not sure if it's common to sedate for that though. Cryo I was conscious for and it was very uncomfortable.

If you're early enough they may choose to monitor you with just paps every six months. Sometimes the virus can go dormant and the cells will shed and resolve on their own. Other times not.

ETA: Since having the LEEP procedure I'm abnormal cell free and I'm back on the once a year pap cycle. I still have HPV which means I'm still prone to recurrent problems, but at least I know and I can be proactive.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Hi Phoenix. My father is a gynecologist, so I know a little bit about this, but I am not a doctor and can''t give you medical advice. I can tell you a little bit that I know, though...

I''m not sure what "Class II" means, but I would guess you have some cervical dysplasia. First of all, please don''t worry. It''s very common, and catching it in such an early stage is good. Also, cervical dysplasia and cervical cancer are typically very slow-growing. I would guess that if in 3 months you still have an abnormal result, your doctor will do a colposcopy to get a better look at what''s going on. Colposcopy allows your doctor to look at the cells and sort of "double check" pap results. Sometimes, a doctor can remove all the dysplastic cells (if any) right then. Sometimes they will recommend a biopsy.

Your abnormal result could be a fluke or a false positive (infections and other issues can cause this). Or, you may have been exposed to an HPV virus. From what I''ve heard and read, many HPV viruses will resolve on their own, and a lot of people never have another abnormal pap after the first one. Since you''ve had an abnormal result before, this is definitely something to discuss with your doctor. I have heard from several doctors that taking Folic Acid (as in pre-natal vitamins) can help rid your body of an HPV virus, although I believe this has not been demonstrated in any formal studies.

Please, please don''t worry about this! Definitely do your research and keep informed, but don''t drive yourself crazy.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 9:00:11 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Phoenix, have they done a biopsy or colposcopy yet? In my experience (in the States) if you have an abnormal pap you go in for a colpo which allows the doc to get a closer view of your cervix. They''ll do a few tests, one with vinegar and one with dye and they''ll possible take a biopsy sample for further testing. After that you''ll go in every three-six months for follow up colpos/biopsies to see if anything has progressed.

If they see it progressing they''re likely to suggest one of two treatments, cryotherapy or the LEEP procedure. With cryo they''ll freeze the affected cells and your cervix will heal on it''s own. With the LEEP procedure they''ll use a device to excise the affected area of your cervix. Your cervix can then heal on it''s own. Both procedures have their own negatives and positives. I''ve had both done and the cryo therapy didn''t work the first time. I had to go back to have the LEEP procedure done one year later. My doctor prefers to have her patients sedated for the LEEP procedure, I''m not sure if it''s common to sedate for that though. Cryo I was conscious for and it was very uncomfortable.

If you''re early enough they may choose to monitor you with just paps every six months. Sometimes the virus can go dormant and the cells will shed and resolve on their own. Other times not.

ETA: Since having the LEEP procedure I''m abnormal cell free and I''m back on the once a year pap cycle. I still have HPV which means I''m still prone to recurrent problems, but at least I know and I can be proactive.
First, I''m sooooo glad to hear that you''re now abnormal cell free. Hoooray!!
36.gif

Thank you so much for your reply. I forgot to mention in my original post (which has now been edited) that I had a colposcopy when I had the pap smear. The funny thing is that the Dr didn''t use any of the solution you mentioned.

I''ve also had a LEEP procedure when I had my first Class II result. The Dr did excise the affected area (I was under for this procedure) and biopsied it. I thought everything was fine after that...until now!
7.gif

rockpaperscissors67

Shiny_Rock
Hi Phoenix --

Don''t panic. I know...easier said than done. If the class II that they''re referring to is the standard for paps, it just means that there''s stuff to keep an eye on. I don''t think it''s necessary to go in any sooner than 3 months because from my experience, even with bad cells, you have time to treat.

I had class III cells 9 years ago when I was pregnant and the OB was fine with waiting until after I had the baby to do any treatment and that was a good 6-7 months.

Hang in there. =)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 9:08:54 AM
Author: TheBigT
Hi Phoenix. My father is a gynecologist, so I know a little bit about this, but I am not a doctor and can't give you medical advice. I can tell you a little bit that I know, though...

I'm not sure what 'Class II' means, but I would guess you have some cervical dysplasia. First of all, please don't worry. It's very common, and catching it in such an early stage is good. Also, cervical dysplasia and cervical cancer are typically very slow-growing. I would guess that if in 3 months you still have an abnormal result, your doctor will do a colposcopy to get a better look at what's going on. Colposcopy allows your doctor to look at the cells and sort of 'double check' pap results. Sometimes, a doctor can remove all the dysplastic cells (if any) right then. Sometimes they will recommend a biopsy.

Your abnormal result could be a fluke or a false positive (infections and other issues can cause this). Or, you may have been exposed to an HPV virus. From what I've heard and read, many HPV viruses will resolve on their own, and a lot of people never have another abnormal pap after the first one. Since you've had an abnormal result before, this is definitely something to discuss with your doctor. I have heard from several doctors that taking Folic Acid (as in pre-natal vitamins) can help rid your body of an HPV virus, although I believe this has not been demonstrated in any formal studies.

Please, please don't worry about this! Definitely do your research and keep informed, but don't drive yourself crazy.
Thanks so much for your reply, TheBigT, and your words of reassurance.

I'm still very worried (what a Xmas present!!
8.gif
) though. I think I've been exposed to the HPV virus though I have no idea how it could have happened!! And by that I mean I've practised safe sex most of my adult life and have only been with one man (my DH) for the past 15 years.

I am hoping that this is a false positive (as I was having some itch at the time). However, I am still going to have another pap smear done before 3 months are up.

Thanks for the tip about Folic acid. That's very helpful.

Thanks again for yr sweet reasurring words.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 9:18:51 AM
Author: rockpaperscissors67
Hi Phoenix --

Don''t panic. I know...easier said than done. If the class II that they''re referring to is the standard for paps, it just means that there''s stuff to keep an eye on. I don''t think it''s necessary to go in any sooner than 3 months because from my experience, even with bad cells, you have time to treat.

I had class III cells 9 years ago when I was pregnant and the OB was fine with waiting until after I had the baby to do any treatment and that was a good 6-7 months.

Hang in there. =)
Thank you so much for your reply and also for your reassurance.

Yes, it is easier said than done. I am a real hypochondriac (sp?) so I wouldnt'' be surprised if I rushed back to have another pap smear done sooner than 3 months!!

Would you mind terribly if I asked you what treatments you had done for your Class III cells? Btw, what a CUTE child you have!
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenix, first. You're not alone. I understand that it's shocking to learn you're infected when you've been so careful. HPV is VERY common throughout the world. It's not just a problem in the States. You can also contract it even if you use condoms. The strains that commonly cause cervical problems do not cause physical symptoms like warts. So you could have come in contact with it and the person you were with may not have even known he was infected.

Second. If you've already had the LEEP procedure done once, then that means you're past the point of just monitoring things with routine paps. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with that. I would ask your doctor about next steps for treatment and monitoring. Or, if you're concerned that you're not getting the best treatment, seek a second opinion. I found that the approach to treatment was different when I changed doctors (my first was opposed to the LEEP and sedating the woman for Cryo-wouldn't even give me something to calm my nerves, he was a man...) and the next doc I had (a woman) was all for making sure I was comfortable and not stressed. Does that mean all male gynos lack compassion? No, of course not, but you need to find a doc who's game plan and philosophy aligns with yours.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 10:08:02 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Phoenix, first. You're not alone. I understand that it's shocking to learn you're infected when you've been so careful. HPV is VERY common throughout the world. It's not just a problem in the States. You can also contract it even if you use condoms. The strains that commonly cause cervical problems do not cause physical symptoms like warts. So you could have come in contact with it and the person you were with may not have even known he was infected.

Second. If you've already had the LEEP procedure done once, then that means you're past the point of just monitoring things with routine paps. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with that. I would ask your doctor about next steps for treatment and monitoring. Or, if you're concerned that you're not getting the best treatment, seek a second opinion. I found that the approach to treatment was different when I changed doctors (my first was opposed to the LEEP and sedating the woman for Cryo-wouldn't even give me something to calm my nerves, he was a man...) and the next doc I had (a woman) was all for making sure I was comfortable and not stressed. Does that mean all male gynos lack compassion? No, of course not, but you need to find a doc who's game plan and philosophy aligns with yours.
AAARRGHHHH!! I just typed out a long answer and clicked "Submit" and the whole thing disappeared!! How frustrating!!

I agree with everything you've said, esp. the highlighted portion. Now that I've had two Class II results AND the LEEP procedure, I'm not going to sit around and wait for the next pap. I'm beyond that now, I believe. I fully intend to ask the Dr abt the next steps for treatment and monitoring; and am for sure going to seek a second opinion.

It's good to hear an objective opinion. There I was thinking that perhaps I was overly anxious. Well, I'd rather be anxious and doing something abt this, than not at all.

Once again, thank you, Hudson Hawk.

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
Hi Phoenix, I'm sorry to hear what you're going through but as other posters have advised and is hard to do - DON'T PANIC.
First, it is quite likely you've been exposed to HPV. Here's the catch even with a condom you can be exposed. I know that is counter to everything you've ever learned but the nature of HPV, is that its transmitted by skin-skin contact and not bodily fluids. It is also the nature of HPV to lay dormant for many, many years and the infection become active after a long period of time due to factors in your environment (such as stress, other illness, etc) So you could have contracted it (I don't know your age) 10 years ago but only a few years ago had any detectable symptom such as an abnormal pap.

Cervical cellular changes like metaplasia are in response to a chronic exposure or infection, such as HPV and are not necessarily indicative of cancer or developing cancer. Since this is a response to an infection your body can clear the abnormality on its own in many cases. Going back the gyne sooner to get another pap probably won't yield you any new information. In fact, your gyne could test you for HPV, it could come back negative at some point and positive at another. I would only recommend the HPV test in order to find out if you have a high risk strain. By high risk I mean those which are known to cause malignancy. When you get a colpo and they use acetic acid (aka vinegar) it allows them see which areas of the cervix have abnormal cells. Because of the cellular changes these cells will take up the vinegar and appear "whiter" than the surrounding normal cells. This is the area they biopsy. Treatment is usually cryo or LEEP like H_H said. But there is no "cure". You can only treat it, like a cold or the flu or chicken pox. With cryo they are literally using extreme cold to freeze off the top layer of cells, regardless of their status as normal or abnormal, and hoping that takes care of the infected cells. If the infected area is deeper into the cervix cryo will not kill those cells. LEEP is more specific and allows abnormal areas to be excised. Though again these aren't cures and you could have another infection later down the road or never again. You have to discuss with your doc which, if either, of these would be appropriate for you.

I don't know your sexual relationship situation and won't ask you to reveal it here (in fact, I wouldn't) but if your married or in a monogamous relationship -tell him to get checked out by a urologist. It could be that he also has an HPV infection for which males are typically pretty asymptomatic but he could reinfect you. Women suffer more sequalae from HPV infections than men but it's important for you both to get it treated.
Another thing, which isn't in regard to treatment or outcomes is when the conversation is broached (if there is any conversation to have) you have to remember that you have no way to tell which of you was infected first or who gave it to who.

I know I repeated some of what H_H said but I wanted to be thorough as possible. If I made it more confusing or worse just ask me to clarify or tell me to shut up
1.gif

Take care and remember don't panic.

ETA: I somehow didn't read that you had already had a LEEP. I would get a second opinion too just because you don't see to be able to keep the infection and the subsequent abnormal cells at bay. I might try to find someone who will look at other factors in your environment such as stress, sleeping habits, and would be interested in underlying conditions that might contribute.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry to hear you''ve had some bad news just before the holidays
14.gif

I''ve had experience with less than normal paps, colposcopies, biopsies, 3-month follow-up paps, etc. but I won''t repeat all of the above great advice you''ve received on those issues. (Bravo PS for having a wealth of smart ladies!)

But here''s my two cents: get a second opinion.

As much as I trusted my gyno at the time, thinking back to it now, that is the one thing I didn''t do that I wish I had. It''s your health - check twice. Even if for nothing else than for peace of mind that you''re taking the right measures and getting the best treatment, it will be worth it. And if opinions differ, then you know it''s time to get a third or take to further research.

I think you''re doing everything you can by reaching out and educating yourself - but keep a positive attitude too! Thank goodness you''re a regular pap tester and caught this now and thank goodness you''re in the care of a doctor. Enjoy the holidays and keep us posted!

Hi Phoenix!

I just saw this and wanted to say you are not alone. I went through something similar... it's no fun!!! Here's a big virtual *hug* for you !!!

I first got my news in 3/2006 and I'm still alive! no, just kidding. I freaked out after I got the news. I mean, the gyno was using all of these huge words that I never even knew existed.. "WHAT kind of cells? What type of result? ... Ok what does THAT mean... lol and what does THAT mean." I mean, you would think they would come out with some layman's terms.

I really wouldn't panic. Time will only tell and worrying about it now won't help. It does bite though as you sit there waiting for information with a lump in your throat
14.gif

Mine turned out to not really be a big deal. I can't even remember what they call it.. but it "went away" enough that I didn't need paps for 12 months again. (But then, sure as sh!t it came back.) ha. That's life for you.

Another friend of mine got the aggressive kind- high risk? And is having a harder time.

I think as long as you are not considered high risk- you have a lot less likely chance of becoming cancerous (please correct me if I'm wrong).. but the cells still sit there being annoying.

Ok it's really late. I hope this post makes sense. lol

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
HH and Annadragon,
Great information and thank you for sharing!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 4:36:29 PM
Author: annadragon
Hi Phoenix, I'm sorry to hear what you're going through but as other posters have advised and is hard to do - DON'T PANIC.
First, it is quite likely you've been exposed to HPV. Here's the catch even with a condom you can be exposed. I know that is counter to everything you've ever learned but the nature of HPV, is that its transmitted by skin-skin contact and not bodily fluids. It is also the nature of HPV to lay dormant for many, many years and the infection become active after a long period of time due to factors in your environment (such as stress, other illness, etc) So you could have contracted it (I don't know your age) 10 years ago but only a few years ago had any detectable symptom such as an abnormal pap.

Cervical cellular changes like metaplasia are in response to a chronic exposure or infection, such as HPV and are not necessarily indicative of cancer or developing cancer. Since this is a response to an infection your body can clear the abnormality on its own in many cases. Going back the gyne sooner to get another pap probably won't yield you any new information. In fact, your gyne could test you for HPV, it could come back negative at some point and positive at another. I would only recommend the HPV test in order to find out if you have a high risk strain. By high risk I mean those which are known to cause malignancy. When you get a colpo and they use acetic acid (aka vinegar) it allows them see which areas of the cervix have abnormal cells. Because of the cellular changes these cells will take up the vinegar and appear 'whiter' than the surrounding normal cells. This is the area they biopsy. Treatment is usually cryo or LEEP like H_H said. But there is no 'cure'. You can only treat it, like a cold or the flu or chicken pox. With cryo they are literally using extreme cold to freeze off the top layer of cells, regardless of their status as normal or abnormal, and hoping that takes care of the infected cells. If the infected area is deeper into the cervix cryo will not kill those cells. LEEP is more specific and allows abnormal areas to be excised. Though again these aren't cures and you could have another infection later down the road or never again. You have to discuss with your doc which, if either, of these would be appropriate for you.

I don't know your sexual relationship situation and won't ask you to reveal it here (in fact, I wouldn't) but if your married or in a monogamous relationship -tell him to get checked out by a urologist. It could be that he also has an HPV infection for which males are typically pretty asymptomatic but he could reinfect you. Women suffer more sequalae from HPV infections than men but it's important for you both to get it treated.
Another thing, which isn't in regard to treatment or outcomes is when the conversation is broached (if there is any conversation to have) you have to remember that you have no way to tell which of you was infected first or who gave it to who.

I know I repeated some of what H_H said but I wanted to be thorough as possible. If I made it more confusing or worse just ask me to clarify or tell me to shut up
1.gif

Take care and remember don't panic.

ETA: I somehow didn't read that you had already had a LEEP. I would get a second opinion too just because you don't see to be able to keep the infection and the subsequent abnormal cells at bay. I might try to find someone who will look at other factors in your environment such as stress, sleeping habits, and would be interested in underlying conditions that might contribute.
Thank you very much for your detailed input. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry I didn't respond to your post straight away. I guess I didn't really want to deal with it over the Xmas holiday. Well, now...back to reality!
5.gif

I've actually just gone to see gynae here in Shanghai to have another pap smear done. The reasons were because I wanted to get a second opinion and also because the Singapore system is a little dated. The clinic in SH uses the Bethesda system which I understand is more accurate and easier to interpret. Please correct me if I am wrong though. The Dr here also said that she would test to see if I have the HPV virus (because although most postive pap smear results are due to the presence of the HPV virus, a small % is not - again, pls correct me if I am wrong) and she could also see if the HPV if present is a high-risk strain; neither one of which was ever offered to me in Singapore.

With regard to getting my DH tested, that's a very good suggestion. I'd like to ask you however: neither one of us has ever displayed any symptom, meaning no warts (none that we could see anyway). Might that still mean that DH has the virus despite the fact that he has been asymptomatic? And if his test result is positive, what would be the treatment, for him? For both of us?

I thank you again for taking the time to write and to help. I'm very concerned, particularly since this is the second time my result has come back as Class II.

Oh and to address the other issue you raised. Yes, I have a weakened immune system, due to the fact that I have a thyroid problem. I'm only Hashimoto's but the Dr still puts me on medication since I have all the symptoms, meaning hair loss (which has now improved down considerably since I started taking the medication), am prone to weight gain and constipation (sorry, a bit TMI!) and I also suffer from insomnia. Sucks, doesn't it!
7.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no treatment for HPV, so it doesn''t matter if your husband has it or not.

I think annadragon got viral and bacterial infections mixed up.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Phoenix. I''m sorry for what you''re going through. My best friend went through something similar a couple years ago. She had the abnormal pap, the colposcopy, the LEEP. Then she was told it really wasn''t looking good and that she had carcinoma in situ. She was meeting with an oncologist to discuss having a cone biopsy. She went to one other gynecologist for a 2nd opinion and poof! They told her it wasn''t terribly severe and she should come back in six months. She went back six months later and had a healthy pap. Every pap since then has been fine for her as well. She has no idea what happened and how they could think she was doing so poorly only to make some miraculous recovery.

Point of my story is, I think it''s wonderful you''re getting a second opinion! Don''t stress for now (easier said than done, I know) until you know for sure what''s going on with your body. I''ve never had a LEEP but I''ve had a colposcopy. You''re in my thoughts.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 8:28:47 PM
Author: megumic
I''m sorry to hear you''ve had some bad news just before the holidays
14.gif

I''ve had experience with less than normal paps, colposcopies, biopsies, 3-month follow-up paps, etc. but I won''t repeat all of the above great advice you''ve received on those issues. (Bravo PS for having a wealth of smart ladies!)

But here''s my two cents: get a second opinion.

As much as I trusted my gyno at the time, thinking back to it now, that is the one thing I didn''t do that I wish I had. It''s your health - check twice. Even if for nothing else than for peace of mind that you''re taking the right measures and getting the best treatment, it will be worth it. And if opinions differ, then you know it''s time to get a third or take to further research.

I think you''re doing everything you can by reaching out and educating yourself - but keep a positive attitude too! Thank goodness you''re a regular pap tester and caught this now and thank goodness you''re in the care of a doctor. Enjoy the holidays and keep us posted!
Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your experience and thoughts.

You''re right. It''s so important to get a second, even third opinion, esp if I ended up getting another LEEP.

I hope that you''re ok too. It''s no fun getting those abnormal pap smears and all the other stuff - to put it mildly.

Yes, bravo to PS ladies. You gals are the best!
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to write, some of you to share your and your friend's experience and giving me advice. I really appreciate it.

Well, I just received the result of the second pap smear test. It's NEGATIVE!! Yoooo hooo!! The HPV test also came back as NEGATIVE!! Yay!!
36.gif
I'm so stupid, walking around for years assuming that I had the HPV virus!

Still, I'm puzzled as to why I had TWO (not one, but two) Class II results before, not to mention the LEEP. I don't want to be complacent. I'm going to go back for a third pap smear test and am also thinking another colposcopy. I'm wondering if there was anything in the "environment" (IYKWIM?) that may have affected/ skewed the reading of the pap, either the first or the second (?)

Is there anything you ladies would suggest I should do now?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2010 2:42:41 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
Hi Phoenix. I'm sorry for what you're going through. My best friend went through something similar a couple years ago. She had the abnormal pap, the colposcopy, the LEEP. Then she was told it really wasn't looking good and that she had carcinoma in situ. She was meeting with an oncologist to discuss having a cone biopsy. She went to one other gynecologist for a 2nd opinion and poof! They told her it wasn't terribly severe and she should come back in six months. She went back six months later and had a healthy pap. Every pap since then has been fine for her as well. She has no idea what happened and how they could think she was doing so poorly only to make some miraculous recovery.

Point of my story is, I think it's wonderful you're getting a second opinion! Don't stress for now (easier said than done, I know) until you know for sure what's going on with your body. I've never had a LEEP but I've had a colposcopy. You're in my thoughts.
Thank you for sharing and for thinking of me.

I can't believe what your friend must have gone through to have been told she had carcinoma in situ!! Good thing she went for a second opinion and am sooooo glad she's doing well.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw this (I was looking to see if I''d missed a thread of your new avatar! ha!) and I thought I would throw my cents in the pile...

... I got a class 2 in Jan 92 and I was too afraid to do anything for many months, and by the time I did in December it was class IV - had a conization, had two carcinoma tumors removed and have had nothing but clear pap smears for 18 years and this past year they did a test for papilovirus (sp?) and no sign of that either.... so.... don''t dally!!! But don''t give up hope either :)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 2:17:37 AM
Author: Phoenix
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to write, some of you to share your and your friend''s experience and giving me advice. I really appreciate it.

Well, I just received the result of the second pap smear test. It''s NEGATIVE!! Yoooo hooo!! The HPV test also came back as NEGATIVE!! Yay!!
36.gif
I''m so stupid, walking around for years assuming that I had the HPV virus!

Still, I''m puzzled as to why I had TWO (not one, but two) Class II results before, not to mention the LEEP. I don''t want to be complacent. I''m going to go back for a third pap smear test and am also thinking another colposcopy. I''m wondering if there was anything in the ''environment'' (IYKWIM?) that may have affected/ skewed the reading of the pap, either the first or the second (?)

Is there anything you ladies would suggest I should do now?
36.gif

GREAT!! Phew, what a load off!!

No advice, stay healthy and get your check-ups!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you had to deal with all of this stress, Phoenix. I was in a similar situation. In ''08 my PAP came back as LSIL. I had been getting paps since I was 16 (I was 23) and they were all fine. My gyne automatically tests for gonorhea and chylamidia with PAPs, and they were all (-). They called me in for a colpop, and when the dr looked at my cervical cells, he said all was normal. They took another swab to test for HPV and it was (-). Needless to say, I was freaked out, but the dr said since colpop was ok and HPV was(-), to stay yearly. I went in December for my annual, freaking out that it was going to be LSIL or even HSIL, but thank heavens everything was normal, no HPV.
I was really freaked out that I had precancerous cells with NO explanation as to why. The only thing the gyne''s office could remotely even consider was that the sample was contaminated, or even worse, they read someone else''s PAP as mine.
29.gif

I would definitely go back in three months just for your own reassurance. Good luck.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
I actually used to work for the company that invented the Thin Prep test, I was in R&D and actually helped get the latest imaging systems off the ground.

I''m confused about what your Dr. is calling "class II" cells? In cytology there are some standard names we used for the Thin Prep recognitions.

This page actually has a good description of the same terms I am familiar with.

cervical

I''m sure different Dr.''s and different parts of the world use different terms, but did you get any other info on what exactly was seen?

And - false positives are inevitable, the good news is that the rate of false negatives is very very very low.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Cervical dysplasia are often associated with HPV, but sometimes not. Either case, the doctors treat them the same by regular monitoring and removal (via various methods) of abnormal tissue to prevent progression to cancer.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 5:38:05 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
I just saw this (I was looking to see if I'd missed a thread of your new avatar! ha!) and I thought I would throw my cents in the pile...

... I got a class 2 in Jan 92 and I was too afraid to do anything for many months, and by the time I did in December it was class IV - had a conization, had two carcinoma tumors removed and have had nothing but clear pap smears for 18 years and this past year they did a test for papilovirus (sp?) and no sign of that either.... so.... don't dally!!! But don't give up hope either :)
Hello there Sara,

No sadly, I still haven't got my larger stone yet. The project is currently underway but is developing vereeeeeeeees slowly since apaprently there's a shortage of larger stones on the market (ie. anything over 3ct or even harder 4ct - apparently the mines are not producing as much and some remain shut after having closed during the last recession, no doubt this is a monopoly controlled by deBeers!
4.gif
). I'm also wondering about whether it'd be wise to get a larger stone at all whilst I'm in China (?) How's yr plan for purchasing a blingy something going btw? Are you making any headway?

I'm surprised to see that your Pap results moved so fast in just a few months, but of course I'm beyond HAPPY for you that you've been clear and free of any problem, to this day. Really, very happy for you.
1.gif
1.gif

Thank you for sharing, Sara. I appreciate it. I'm going back for a third test this week. I'm still very surprised that the two sets of results I've had are so different. I'm wondering if it's got to do with the timing of the tests. I googled it and they say the best time is 10 to 20 days after the first day of your last period. So, we shall see....

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Author:Phoenix
7.gif

The test result also says: ''Metaplastic cells present'' but negative for malignancy.

This is the second time I''ve had a Class II result. The first time was approx 3-4 years ago. Since then, I''ve been very diligent with my pap smears (thin prep), having had them done at least once every six months.

I''m going to research it on the ''net, but would appreciate hearing from PS''ers who have had the same result, or who are familiar with the terms.

I''m quite worried about it. I thought after numerous class I results during the last 3-4 years, that I was ok, but apparently not!!

The amazing thing is that I also insisted on another Colposcopy at the time I had the pap smear (before I got the result) and the Dr told me that everything was fine. Well, so much for that!!
20.gif

The gynae has recommended I come back for another pap smear in 3 months'' time. I''m thinking, however, that perhaps I should go for another pap smear sooner than that, or perhaps there should be some other things I should be doing in the meantime?
*hugs* I know how scary and hard it can be to fight this. When I was 16 I had the worst lvl (I dont remember if its 3 or 4, was pre cancer) right before cancer. I had the LEEP done, and they took off 1/3 of my cervix. My doctor wanted to make sure they took it all, thats why so much. It was a very scary experiance for me, so I know how you feel. If your doctor isnt taking your concerns to heart and doing the biopsy/cell removal then you always have the option of finding a doctor for a second opinion. IMO cancer (even in its pre form) isnt something you should wait and see about. If you have had abnormal paps for 4 yrs, then IMO something should be done to fix it. If not to lower your risk of more serious problems in the futute, but to ease your mind.

Sence my LEEP almost 8 yrs ago, I havnt had a single abnormal pap. For me the peace of mind for those 8 yrs is worth any risk associated with the procedures. Wich by the way, the big one is a weaker cervix in pregnancy. I had no problem carrying my 2nd child to term (in fact had to be induced) even with the massive amount of cervix they took.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results