shape
carat
color
clarity

Palladium??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone know anything about palladium? If you wear a palladium wedding band with a platinum engagement ring will they scratch each other? Are they close enough in color to wear together? Which is more durable, platinum or palladium? Thanks!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 3:25:40 PM
Author:nclrgirl
Anyone know anything about palladium? If you wear a palladium wedding band with a platinum engagement ring will they scratch each other? Are they close enough in color to wear together? Which is more durable, platinum or palladium? Thanks!
I am not savvy on the durability of palladium, but here is a pic of Mariposa's rings...her e-ring is platinum and her 'placeholder' band is palladium. It may be hard to tell if they are close in color because the the rings are different textures, but I think they go well together:
4.gif

DSC01312.JPG

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hers do look lovely together! Thanks!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
UR welcome
1.gif
!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s what I''m thinking...I''d like a palladium w-band right now because of:
1) Wedding costs are making $ a little tight right now, so I''d have FI hold off on the eternity band until an anniversary
2) I like to do outdoor activities (biking, running, climbing, etc...) so I''d like to have a less expensive ring to wear all of the time.

Any opinions/knowledge out there?

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 5:21:15 PM
Author: nclrgirl
Here''s what I''m thinking...I''d like a palladium w-band right now because of:

1) Wedding costs are making $ a little tight right now, so I''d have FI hold off on the eternity band until an anniversary

2) I like to do outdoor activities (biking, running, climbing, etc...) so I''d like to have a less expensive ring to wear all of the time.

Any opinions/knowledge out there?
I''m getting a palladium e-ring. The only issue is to find a jeweler who is comfortable making it. I just could not justify paying for Platinum right now.

As for your outdoor activities, I will suggest you not to wear ANY jewelry. Personally, the only "less expensive" ring I would wear in the activities that you have listed is a toy ring from Claire''s or ICING.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts Choro! Are you dealing with a local jeweler in your area or someone online? Would you mind sharing who it is?
emsmile.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going with a local jeweler in Santa Ana, CA. The Custom Goldsmith. They haven''t finished my ring yet, so I can''t give you a review
2.gif
I loved the rings that they make, but that''s because I have a different taste from most people (non antique). If you live close by, I can give you their contact information.

Before we pulled the trigger, I''ve asked a bunch of people online for questions. One of them is Danforth Diamond. They make tons of Palladium jewelry. I''ve never bought from them so I can''t vouch for them 100%, but as far as Q&A goes, Jill Renee (owner of the company) answered my questions very nicely. Their contact info is on their page here. Good luck!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I wear a platinum e-ring and a palladium wedding band. I''ve had them on 24/7 for just over a year now and I don''t see any signs of wear where the rings touch. The color is a total match... however, I have an antique e-ring so the finish is matte. I can''t say wether or not it would still match if the platinum had a mirror finish.
I''m really happy with my palladium band. It''s worn very well, and no real signs of damage even though I''m a total clutz and wear it all the time, even gardening! One of the things I like about palladium is that it''s a lot lighter than platinum. It''s something I notice as I have a thick band.

Hope I was of some help!
35.gif

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Indie! That does help! What have you noticed along the lines of scratching?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I wear palladium and wg - palladium w-band. Here''s the link to it: Elmorton''s WG/Palladium set

There''s a pic near the end of the first page that shows the back of my rings, so you can kinda see color and scratching for yourself :) - my band is really thin though, so the e-ring kinda juts out past it and protects it from any harm, and my e-ring is wg not plat, so I can''t really give you much info on scratching except to say that I don''t really notice anything.

I was worried about palladium bending, especially since the ring is so thin, but no problems as of yet. Also, I don''t really think there''s much of a patina after 8 mos - still pretty shiny.

For an everyday band though for working out, etc, I agree - find something that''s a cheapie (sterling, even?). I have a plain milgrain band that I wear whenever I''m in any kind of "work" situation (kitchen, working out, sometimes even when I teach b/c I haaaate chalk getting in the little crevaces) from e-weddingband.com. I''ve heard the raised their prices, but it was about $200.

HTH!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Elmorton! Your rings are beautiful!!

Anyone out there know of jewelers that work with palladium?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! My ring is from Artcarved (Artcarved.com - click on the bridal collection) - their entire bridal line is in palladium. I don''t think you can order through the site, but they should have one of those searches on the site that will tell you where there are local jewelers.

From what I''ve learned reading others'' posts about palladium here, it''s a relatively "new" metal, so many jewelers aren''t really working with it. If you''re interested in doing custom work though, it wouldn''t hurt to drop an e-mail to any of the PS vendors, I''m sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results