Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Painted in 1939- does it remind anyone of anyone?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The Orator"

img_13136.jpg

img_13137.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it when artists take risks. I wonder if at the time, he took heat for his painting or if it was at all controversial?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1477262353|4089843 said:
I love it when artists take risks. I wonder if at the time, he took heat for his painting or if it was at all controversial?
That was a year of huge turmoil worldwide. It was the year that World War II started for most of Europe. (Czechoslovakia and Austria may feel that it started a bit earlier.) Germany invaded Poland on September 1 of that year and Russia then invaded Poland from its other side. England and France quickly declared war upon Germany after that. Meanwhile the Spanish Civil War was just winding up. I am unfamiliar with Ruiz (although I could, of course, look him up.) But I am fairly sure that he was protesting either a specific or generic fascist with that orator. Although he is not depicted as a military man, I suspect he is Franco, Mussolini, and/or Hitler.

Madam Bijoux, what do you have to tell us? I won't cheat and look it up. And, yes, he does remind me of Trump. ;))

Deb :wavey:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, AGBF :wavey:
When I saw this painting, I thought "Trumpkins! This artist predicted the future."

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.