shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Jas12 ** Dora Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Jas, this is supposed to be in the Bride World Wide section but I don''''t know how much you check that these days :) Admin, I apologize for intentionally posting in the wrong place! I''''ll understand if you need to move it to BWW.

So I tried on the Melissa Sweet Dora this past weekend and LOVED it. I read through your other threads about the Dora, and I am in the same situation. It is WAY beyond the budget I set for my dress. I have to go try on some others, but I may end up just splurging on this dress.

Did you get it in white or ivory? I tried it on in ivory and I can''''t tell from your pictures if you are also in ivory. Also, do you remember how much alterations/extras ended up costing? I wanted to get an idea of how much it would be by the end, but I was told by Priscilla of Boston that their alterations are done "a la carte" depending on what I need done. Also she said the slip/crinoline is an extra $75 USD.

Last question, how did you bustle your dress? Do you have any pics of the bustle?

Thanks!! I hope you and baby are well!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Hey CrownJewel

Yep, this is the place to find me these days--i do check the BWW forum every once in a while, but now i have baby brain.....

Hope these answers help you out:

I wore the Dora in Ivory (it is not a deep ivory)

I ''negotiated'' with the bridal salon and asked for my alterations included in the price (i hate bartering, but this dress was so expensive--i told the salon''s owner that I could pay trunk-show cost with taxes and alterations included and she went for it. Maybe I was lucky, but i think the mark up is so high make sure you at least try)
The only alteration I had done was a hem and the overlap on the bust was sewn up a little so i didn''t pop out--nothing major.
I don''t know why the crinoline is extra--it comes sewn in the dress? Weird.

As for the bustle--the dress is not really designed for a bustle b/c it flows/billows around the bottom. I wore it down all day and it didn''t really get in the way (there is a hook under the dress to pull up the hem and wear on your wrist).
I think you could do a simple bustle (where the bottom would be clipped up) not sure what that is called--i experimented with this b/c I was doing a fox-trot for my first dance and couldn''t step back--however i decided against it and wore another dress for my dance.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions
BTW--the dress was a big hit--so original and just a touch of whimsy--it''s not the dress for everyone but for certain personalities it is just perfect! Good luck with the search

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Jas! I called up the Priscilla of Boston in NYC and they said the trunk show discount only applies to new gowns (which means...not Dora).

But then I called Priscilla of Boston in NJ and talked to the consultant who helped me last weekend, and she said the discount applies to all Melissa Sweet gowns. Hmm. Well, I said great, schedule me in!! So I''m signed up for the trunk show on Dec 8th in NJ. If I don''t find anything else that I love as much as Dora by Dec 8th, then I''m going for it. My consultant won''t be there that day, but hopefully she wasn''t misinformed when she told me that the discount applies to all MS gowns. I''m crossing my fingers!!

The dress was beautiful on you! My sister agreed that the dress is a reflection of my personality. I wanted something soft and "floaty"...classic with a touch of fun...a unique gown with a bit of vintage style. The only thing I''m concerned about is that I''m 5''0"...I hope the dress doesn''t overwhelm me. When I tried on the sample at PoB, it was a size 8 and after all the clips and clamps, I thought it looked great. However, I was standing on a 6" pedestal/platform!

How long did it take to make your dress?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Don''t you hate how the discount ''rules'' seem to change depending on who you talk to/where you go--i really think you should press for some sort of discount if you do decide on that dress--b/c for both of us it is a stretch in the budget. You can always re-sell it. I never see the Dora (or many MS dresses for that matter) on ebay--i don''t think you''ll have trouble getting a big chunck of the cost back. I am still toying with this idea--but first need to get around to getting it properly cleaned/pressed--too many other things to be done around my house these days!

I don''t think the dress will overwhelm you at all--it''s flowy not ''poofy'' and there are no embelishments so i think you''ll be fine. I am 5''4 and the salon ordered my dress in an 8. It took over 4 months to come in (but iam in canada) and i had to drive 4 hours each way to get to the store for alterations--the result was a rushed fitting. My dress was actually significantly too big on my wedding day--so much so that i used the sash to cinch it in around the waist--i was not happy about this but i simply couldn''t fit another trip to the shop in before my wedding day....so keep time lines/potential weight loss in mind

post some pics if you go for another fitting
1.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
They won''t let me take pictures there! My sister did sneak two in when the consultant left the room to get some props. I was told it would take 6-9 months just to get the dress made, and then another 2-3 months for fittings! Crazy! I''m starting to get the feeling that they make up random "rules."

Jas, from what I could see in your photos, your dress did not look like it was too big!! Whatever you did to make it fit that day, you looked absolutely fantastic. I do plan on losing some weight before the wedding...I am SO out of shape right now.

After I try on a few more dresses, I''ll post some pictures, including the Dora. Thanks again for your help!

Stay healthy!!!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to butt in, but Priscilla''s of Boston in Boston is having a sample sale starting this Friday. I don''t know if this is an option for you size wise or even if you''d consider buying a sample, but their sample sales generally offer substantial savings (up to 75%) off of their pricey dresses.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Sap, I know...I wish wish wish sample sales included more sizes. I am a street size 0. The samples that I tried on were a size 8 and would need massive mutilation!! Take two feet off the hem!! Decrease cup size by a million inches!
7.gif

I totally considered going to Boston for their sample sale because my MOH and 2 BMs live in Boston, but then I found out they only have size 8-10s at sample sales. Poo.

I''m going to Bridal Garden in NYC this Thursday night with a BM, and they sell secondhand/donated designer gowns for 50-75% off. I know it''s unlikely that I''ll find Dora there in my size, but maybe I''ll find something else I love for a great price. We''ll see!

Sap, are you going to the PoB sample sale in Boston???

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crown--Don''t be too sad about the sample sale sizes because the Dora isn''t included in this sample sale, I just called to ask. I fell in love with that dress when I saw Jas''s pictures!

I''m a street size 8 so I made an appointment anyway just to see what is there.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
I also wanted to add that I bought a Melissa Sweet "Lia" from Priscilla of Boston. I ordered the dress a week AFTER the trunk show and they still gave me the discount. I also ordered my dress in August and received my muslin in October in a size 8. They fitted my dress and then sent it back to get made and I should have the dress back in February/March. I ordered the Muslin to reduce alteration costs. also, my dress comes with the necessary petticoats in at as well. Hope this helps

Edited to add that I am also a street size 2 but my muslin came in a size 8 which will be altered down to a size 4 gown.

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there! I was also in LOVE with the Dora, but ended up buying a dress at a bridal sale that I could actually afford instead (or at least a price that FI wouldn't kill me for paying!!)

BUT, when I was thisclose to buying the dress, I was scouring the internet trying to find someone who was selling one. I ended up contacting an ebay seller who had a lot of samples for sale on Ebay. I asked him if he came across a Dora sample, could he please let me know. He replied by telling me that he would sell me the dress NEW for a significant discount. He told me $2750. I don't know if he would give you the same price, or if that is still pretty far out of your budget (it was for me!!), but it's almost $1000 off (I also tried it on at POB in NYC, I live here!)

So, the ebay sellers name is offtherackbridal. I emailed him and when he responded I saw his name and it listed his phone number. So, I goggled him and his phone number (I was a little skeptical and wedding-dress crazy!!) and found out that he owns an actual bridal store in California. They list that they sell Melissa Sweet on their website, so then I went back to the Melissa Sweet website and saw that they were listed as an authorized dealer.

It was a long process, and I absolutely LOVED that dress, but I hope it helps you! I would suggest that you take the same approach I did and see what he says about a sample? I know you can't wear a sample size but if he doesn't say anything about getting you the dress new nothing is lost right?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
ooooooooh thanks for your advice (and research) Karasue! You rock. I will definitely check him out! Do you remember how much Dora was in NYC? I called today and they said they wouldn''t quote prices over the phone. I wanted to see if there is a price difference btwn NJ and NYC. I also live in NYC but my parents live in NJ. I was home visiting last weekend so I went with my sister to the PoB there. BTW, I saw photos of you in the Dora (super hot!) and your new dress (even more gorgeous!!) that you bought at the Brides Against Breast Cancer sale. You''re going to look amazing on your wedding day.

Haven, I hope you find something at the sample sale! Keep us updated.

Blondie...did you have to ask about the muslin or did they just offer it to you? I am willing to do anything to cut costs!!! I don''t know why that lady at PoB said the Dora slip/crinoline is an additional fee. Maybe she didn''t really know so she made it up. Haha. Oh yeah your post reminded me that my consultant offered to give me the discount even if I went in this Saturday (the trunk show is not until the weekend after that). Do the consultants get commission on each sale? My consultant was GREAT. So helpful.

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
My sales consultant offered it to me. My muslin was an additional $150 but she said that if I didn''t do a muslin then the dress would have to be altered by someone at PoB and PoB doesn''t like to do that because it changes the shape of the dress and alterations can run up to $400. Also, even though the Dora dress is not part of the sample sale, ANYTHING IS NEGOTIATABLE. If you try on the dress and tell them you love it and if you ask if it''s part of the sample sale and they say no, i would then say, "well thank you but the dress is out of my budget"...100 bucks says she would rather make a sale by giving you the discount then lose it!

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
It was $3800 in NYC. You might also want to try Wedding Atelier on 5th Ave, I think around 18th St. That''s where I tried it on first. I had Carrie help me, who I later found out was the owner. I tried on another MS that I loved (Georgina) and she was willing to sell the sample at a big discount. She was also really flexible with the trunk show discount (she honored it the whole month). I guess what I''m trying to say is that she seemed ready to negotiate, and she is the best one to do it since she is the owner!! And since PoB is telling you that they would honor the trunk show discount this Saturday, I bet she would match it. Also she will ship the dress out of state so you don''t have to pay sales tax (I think for like $100 shipping).

Also, when I tried on the dress, I didn''t wear a crinoline under it and I thought it was the perfect amount of flowyness...I have heard some people take out the extra tulle on the underside of the dress so it is less fluffy, but I think how they make it is absolutely perfect. Plus, a separate crinoline make any wedding dress twice as hot too (not sexy hot, sweaty hot!!)

Ooooh keep us posted, I want to wear Dora vicariously through you!!!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Crown Jewel,
If you are coming to Boston, you might as well check out Designer Bridal Outlet in Wellesley. I got my Vera Wang there for $600 (have paid more for Vera b-maids in the past). It was the first and only place I went. MoH and I just walked in, the ladies there were awesome, they have a bunch of their own designs "1,500 reinterpretations of couture" done really nicely, but I liked the cheaper sample. An hour and a half later we walked out with THE dress and an appt with a great alterations woman. It was awesome, call ahead for appts.
just a thought!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Swimmer, does Designer Bridal Outlet have BMs dresses? Maybe I can send my BMs in Boston there. I would love to find some great but inexpensive dresses for them (under $100, is that possible?).

Karasue, I guess the prices are the same in NJ and NYC. My homework: call guy at offtherackbridal and call Wedding Atelier. What would I do without you ladies?!!

blondie, I''m going to negotiate my heart out!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hello Jewels,
No, they don''t have b-maids dresses, I''m probably going to order ours from RK in NYC :) The other option that i''ve done in NYC before is to go to the boutique shop (vera or whoever), pick out the dresses, go over to Bloomingdales during friends and family and order them at 20% off in a bulk (cheaper) order.

On Newbury St there is Aria, they are nice dresses if you want to send the ladies somewhere to look/try on. I love that their website has pictures of real people, you can really see what they look like.

good luck!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Crown- I agree they need to have more sample sizes. I have the opposite problem. My chest requires a much larger size than my waist so I have to go by the largest size and take the rest in. It's awful because I have found several sample gowns that I really loved in the last several months. I won't be going to the sample sale- I ordered my dress a month ago (although I'm tempted to just go at the pretty gowns!). Oh, and swimmer reminded me of another store near Boston, Vows in Newton. They often carry Melissa Sweet dresses. You can check out their dresses on their website too.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if this only applies to MS gowns at the POB in Boston because it''s the MS flagship store, but two of my friends ordered their MS gowns during a trunk show and still got 15% off. In both cases the dresses weren''t a part of the actual trunk show and they were able to order the gowns in their size. The alterations were not included in the discounted price, but they were both very reasonable. One friend''s alterations was $150 and the other friend paid $200. One friend called ahead to make sure she could get the discounted price and the other just coincidentally ordered her MS dress the same day they had the trunk show and got 15% off without even asking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results