shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Sapphire

oh_my_zeus

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the boards, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

Anyway, I want to make a custom engagement ring for my girlfriend, but I think it might be more cost effective to find the diamonds and other gems on the second hand market. Of course, I would go through the steps to make sure they were verified before I made a purchase. Anyway, during my searches, I came across this

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/jwl/2632393908.html

and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these stones, particularly regarding their value. I find the sapphire to be stunning, but I have no clue whether it's actually worth anything, or if I could buy it for $50 at a department store jeweler.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
skip it

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty certain that that ring was made by Color Symphony (www.colorsymphony.com) so won't be an estate piece. The style of photography is remarkably similar.

If it was made by them then you'll be able to find the provenance of the stone and also perhaps get a lab report.

I can't see the price of the ring so don't know if it's good value or not but at least you can browse the website and see how it compares.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If the center "pad' is worth 10K/ct as the listing says, why would somebody sell the entire ring for $1800? As VL says, skip it.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I didn't mean to be quite so coy and terse, but I had to get dinner on the table. and it is garbage night in the vapid household.
I meant to say that there is only enough information, in the lack of information, in the listing for me to say skip it. If someone had a $10k pad they would have some sort of documentation on it and would know to offer it without being asked. Such is the way of Pad. That stone looks nothing like a Pad, except to some scurrilous vendors that I would not buy from. As JF says, if it is worth $10k why is it only 1.8k? Now all that aside, a sapphire ring of that weight and color if it were unheated, and untreated, and natural, and well cut and all on the up and up, sided by clean diamonds and set in platinum should retail at about that price in your local mall. But if you want a mall ring why not just go to the mall?

oh_my_zeus

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info everyone!

It seemed pretty fishy, but I thought I'd inquire on the off chance it was an amazing deal. I had no-idea about the pre-owned forums. You have made my search potentially much easier. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results