shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Hunt November 2019 for e-ring

stonechaser

Rough_Rock
Hi y'all.

Amazing resource here. This is my first and ideally last post.

I've been reading and lurking. My partner and I are building an engagement ring and have settled on a padparadscha as the center stone.
Might just do a solitaire.

We are working with a jeweler in Palo Alto -- going to use a Sholdt setting.
She has brought in many stones -- it's been interesting -- but several have been color zoned or had windows --- there was one that was perfect shape, cut and vibrancy, but super orange.
And the one I liked best was a peachy pink -- but an odd elongated shape for an engagement ring.

I've looked on Gem Fix. He has several we would consider

Wildfish has a gorgeous deep color one that I don't think I'd enjoy as much as a lighter stone. It also seems crazy expensive.

And then there is Jupiter Gems -- which seems to have nice colored stones of perhaps lesser quality...

Bottom line: Before we just buy and return a stone from gem fix is there anywhere else we should look?
Should we just wait and go to Tuscon? Is that crazy?

I've looked at purple stones and pink stones and lavender and other stuff around a pad and I am very much into the pads.

Budget is up to 10K for center stone (but preferably under 7K) and we live in the Bay Area.

Thanks!
Cole

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can ask Marc Sarosi of Africa Gems, just a little north of you. We bought a small but fairly intensely-colored unheated Ceylon oval pad -- that we of course have done nothing with :)

He's knowledgeable and a good guy and has a nice return policy. I think he sources a lot of his stuff from one of the major wholesalers.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Marc gets stones from Gem2000, as does Pearlman's. I always go to their site and read the description- sometimes it has a bit more information than Africa Gems. Marc is great, and is competitive with prices- just ask him.

JuliaB has some pad rings, but she will source a stone. She's on etsy, and in N. San Diego county. Gary at Finewater has a beautiful stone, but I wouldn't call it a pad. Anyhow, you might want to reach out to him. He's fabulous and might just have something.

Best of luck!

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
One quick note on GemFix - in my experience, their sapphires photograph lighter on the website than they appear in real life, so what may appear to be pastel online may be more saturated in hand. That said, they're very friendly to work with and have a comfortable review/return policy so you'd only be out shipping/insurance costs if you evaluate and decide those aren't right for you.

And I'm not in the market for a pad but I'm totally digging that Wildfish one you linked to :D The price does look high, but that stone also ticks a lot of boxes that make it rare (e.g. pads are rare, rounds are uncommon, unheated is rare, well-cut is not very common, etc)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The Wildfish one looks nice, but wow, that pricetag seems a bit high. I've bern quoted USD10000+ before, but that was a top quality 2ct stone :/ I'd personally recc shopping around more, maybe w/GemFix or Southeast Asia based wholesale sellers.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should have added that you want to get photos both indoors and outdoors. Also, consider the face-up measurements and finger coverage you want.

stonechaser

Rough_Rock
Thanks, all. This is all super helpful feedback! I will update soon. )

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
somebody mentioned, and I have seen in their newsletter, wildfish makes monthly limited sales with 33% down. There is voucher once a month, you need to be first to get one.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Marc gets stones from Gem2000, as does Pearlman's. I always go to their site and read the description- sometimes it has a bit more information than Africa Gems.

I have noticed that, too. What does this mean? I can't get my head around how three dealers offer the same stone at the same time. What am i missing? Who owns the stone? How does that work with who knows what about the stone and can guarantees about its qualities?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would suggest you going to Tucson since you have a high budget. It is fun going to Tucson anyways.

MainSequence

Rough_Rock
I have noticed that, too. What does this mean? I can't get my head around how three dealers offer the same stone at the same time. What am i missing? Who owns the stone? How does that work with who knows what about the stone and can guarantees about its qualities?

If I understand it correctly, a supplier owns a stone, and the dealers that work with that supplier can all offer it as something they are able to obtain, even though effectively if you wanted it, you'd buy it from a dealer who would then have to buy it from the supplier and then send it to you. This is why it's not a good idea to ask a lot of dealers to find something for you, as there is overlap in the suppliers that they buy from and you may end up driving up the price of what you wanted as they all compete for the same stone!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
That makes sense, though it does not feel right. How can they be sure of the quality and present a gem they may never have seen? Or do you think every of these hundreds of gems has made its round and been judged by each seller as being this good in color or that clean? Quality ratings are then based on what? I can imagine to buy white diamonds in standard sizes from a database but not a colored gem.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you are located in Northern California - why not make an appointment with Gemfix and fly down for a weekday trip to San Diego? You can see all the pads they have in stock and compare/ contrast any worthy contenders (or be able to cross Gemfix off your list). I have bought from Gemfix several times and do recommend them. I am also located in San Diego, and 2-3 times a year I fly up to San Jose for a one-day visit with family up there - Southwest and Alaska Airlines usually have the best deals - just a thought...

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you are located in Northern California - why not make an appointment with Gemfix and fly down for a weekday trip to San Diego? You can see all the pads they have in stock and compare/ contrast any worthy contenders (or be able to cross Gemfix off your list). I have bought from Gemfix several times and do recommend them. I am also located in San Diego, and 2-3 times a year I fly up to San Jose for a one-day visit with family up there - Southwest and Alaska Airlines usually have the best deals - just a thought...

Total threadjack, but me too! And I just learned that Gemfix is literally a floor up from my guy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn’t Yvonne Raley on Etsy also source padparadcha for people? She had a reputable source she uses I believe.

If ordering from very far away location, Just know that it might be a little more difficult to return.

stonechaser

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! We are going to be in SD for the holidays and reached out to Gem Fix. I'll report back. =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results