shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha colour

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
Hello Guys,

I have been researching a lot on padparadscha Sapphires and I am narrowing down between these two stones. What do the experts on this forum think? which color is more desirable? They are both natural and unheated.

1 - 2.30 carat and around $8k USD - origin not known
2 - 1.74 carat and around $5K USD - from Madagascar

Thanks a lot for your help
Sri.jpg Screenshot_20210623-205658_Samsung Internet.jpg

1) 2)

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
To my eye, both have a lot of brown - neither is exciting (sorry). :cry: Why those two, in particular? Are you limited to a certain vendor? Are the mauve-y/brownish tones your preference? (Because, if that's the case, don't listen to me - you're the one who's going to wear it!)

I just opened up Gemfix's sapphire page and see a lot of nicer options. https://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/sapphire-pink For example: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-532

I guess -- I think you can definitely do better.

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
Thank you, really appreciate your input. I am not limited to a vendor, do you have any suggestions?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others. These look very brown and not worth the pad distinction or price. Do you need a specific size? Shape? And what is your budget?

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
I agree with others. These look very brown and not worth the pad distinction or price. Do you need a specific size? Shape? And what is your budget?

Thanks everyone - I am looking for 9x7mm within 10K USD GIA certified.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It will be hard to find something in exactly that shape. Are you open to alternatives? I only ask becuase if you want a pad, it's crucial to put color as the 1st priority (in my opinion, of course), rather than specific size/shape.

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
I agree - they look more like morganite.
Pad is half way between orange and pink with no brown component.
There was a Gems & Gemology article a decade or 2 ago - you should do a search and read it.

Hello Garry, do you think GIA certification doesnt mean anything in this case>?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Don't limit yourself to GIA - there will be way more stones with good certs - GIA are not that strong in colored gems.

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
Don't limit yourself to GIA - there will be way more stones with good certs - GIA are not that strong in colored gems.

Thank you. Do you have any favourite vendors? What other certifications do you prefer?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you. Do you have any favourite vendors? What other certifications do you prefer?
No - just that the Swiss and Thai labs, and others, are on the spot. There are other US labs too that are faster and cheaper.
I would want a cert as there are nasty diffusion treatments and you want to know what you're buying.
And if you find an uncerted stone - offer to pay for a cert if it comes back kosher.
GRS are the biggest and in the right places.

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
No - just that the Swiss and Thai labs, and others, are on the spot. There are other US labs too that are faster and cheaper.
I would want a cert as there are nasty diffusion treatments and you want to know what you're buying.
And if you find an uncerted stone - offer to pay for a cert if it comes back kosher.
GRS are the biggest and in the right places.
Would you consider any of the below to be good pad? I see lots on Etsy but they arent certified so I wasnt sure. Also I heard people prefer Sri lanka pads not sure why
Screenshot_20210615-121648_Chrome.jpg 2 Screenshot_20210615-165347_Chrome.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider any of the below to be good pad? I see lots on Etsy but they arent certified so I wasnt sure. Also I heard people prefer Sri lanka pads not sure why
Screenshot_20210615-121648_Chrome.jpg 2 Screenshot_20210615-165347_Chrome.jpg

The first pic isn't of the actual stone, it looks like a generic pic that I'm afraid some etsy vendor stole. The 2nd one is not good at all unfortunately.

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
To my eye, both have a lot of brown - neither is exciting (sorry). :cry: Why those two, in particular? Are you limited to a certain vendor? Are the mauve-y/brownish tones your preference? (Because, if that's the case, don't listen to me - you're the one who's going to wear it!)

I just opened up Gemfix's sapphire page and see a lot of nicer options. https://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/sapphire-pink For example: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-13-532

I guess -- I think you can definitely do better.

Thank you. do you have any other vendors in mind? and do you think any of the below is a good pad? Screenshot_20210615-121648_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210615-165347_Chrome.jpg

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I recommend going down the usual 4 c’s and figuring out what’s most important to you. On the color side, there’s a spectrum of pad color so it’s for you to figure out what you like most. For cut, how important are precise dimensions and no window? For clarity, do you want flawless? Loupe clean? Eye clean?

and the hidden c of Cash :razz: how fixed is the budget?

alternatively, how important is a lab pad designation for you?

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. do you have any other vendors in mind? and do you think any of the below is a good pad? Screenshot_20210615-121648_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210615-165347_Chrome.jpg

I still see a lot of brown in that one, although still photos don't always tell the whole story. This is a huge purchase and you deserve to know exactly what you're getting, so you should expect videos in an environment that lets you evaluate color effectively. Otherwise, I wouldn't deal with that vendor. There's too much money at risk.

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
I recommend going down the usual 4 c’s and figuring out what’s most important to you. On the color side, there’s a spectrum of pad color so it’s for you to figure out what you like most. For cut, how important are precise dimensions and no window? For clarity, do you want flawless? Loupe clean? Eye clean?

and the hidden c of Cash :razz: how fixed is the budget?

alternatively, how important is a lab pad designation for you?

Thank you so much for this. Helps me a lot...I find it hard to find the right pad colour as people have different perspectives on it and nothing seems to make the cut. I agree with the 4 cs hahha. Thanks. I was wondering what you think a 2 carat natural u heated pad with really good clarity would cost from your experience

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I would hazard a rough estimate of $5-$15k. Final number depending on color and windowage

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was under the impression that AGL was highly reputable when it comes to grading non-diamond colored gems.

True?

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
I would hazard a rough estimate of $5-$15k. Final number depending on color and windowage

Thank you sir. Your words have proven true so far. I do like the darker pad colour- but always in a mission to find the best sunset colour which for me isn't appealing as imo if find light stones cheap. Would you recommend the attached stone for 5.5k = 1.74carat = 8x7 mm = Madagascar and un treated Screenshot_20210623-205658_Samsung Internet.jpg

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
I was under the impression that AGL was highly reputable when it comes to grading non-diamond colored gems.

True?

I heard that but I find many reputable dealers want a GIA certificate

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you sir. Your words have proven true so far. I do like the darker pad colour- but always in a mission to find the best sunset colour which for me isn't appealing as imo if find light stones cheap. Would you recommend the attached stone for 5.5k = 1.74carat = 8x7 mm = Madagascar and un treated Screenshot_20210623-205658_Samsung Internet.jpg

You seem attracted to the brownish ones, which are not considered padparadscha? Do you have example stone pictures of what you want colour-wise?

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
You seem attracted to the brownish ones, which are not considered padparadscha? Do you have example stone pictures of what you want colour-wise?
I think this one but it seems impossible to find Screenshot_20210615-121648_Chrome.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this one but it seems impossible to find Screenshot_20210615-121648_Chrome.jpg

I think that image is altered. It’s like a swirly cone!

However, if you like the color zones, you’ll run into strong opinions if real Pads can have color zones or not.

Two ive drooled over in the past - one not with the designation, but gorgeous none the less. unfortunately either are not available anymore.
06C96601-2F40-4F25-8A8F-E509C07764FA.jpeg 28BB7373-7096-4B59-8278-CC7AE89FC415.jpeg

Be sure to watch their video :love:

Have fun in your search!

True?

I’ve heard /read before (obviously opinions only) that GIA is apt to give out the Pad designation more likely than AGL.
I have an AGL ‘Brown -Pinkish Orange’ that the vendor swears GIA would label a Pad if it were submitted.
But ultimately he didn’t choose to send it.

Last edited:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to say it but both stones have far too much brown. Having said that the correct colour for a pad is so wide to interpretation BUT if you’re spending the sort of money you mentioned you MUST make sure a lab agrees it’s a pad.

My definition is one that shows both orange and pink but leaning to the pastel colours. This a very traditional definition but it has changed over time and more saturated stones are now called pads too.

thepadparadscha

Rough_Rock
I hate to say it but both stones have far too much brown. Having said that the correct colour for a pad is so wide to interpretation BUT if you’re spending the sort of money you mentioned you MUST make sure a lab agrees it’s a pad.

My definition is one that shows both orange and pink but leaning to the pastel colours. This a very traditional definition but it has changed over time and more saturated stones are now called pads too.

I agree and thank you for your input. What do you think about a GRS certification? New.jpg new1.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That. You may want to talk to him about this one.

by the same token;

GIA called that a pad. I chuckled a little bit but......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results