shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha advice needed

SPK

Rough_Rock
Hi -

This is my first post and I’m really hoping for some helpful replies :)

I am looking at a Padparadscha stone 3.3ct from a trusted jeweler with a certificate (but not a US lab). The stone is from Sri Lanka, transparent with evidence of heat treatment. certificate is attached below. The color is darker than what I was originally looking for but it’s fast growing on me. I don’t see a lot of orange in it and the picture below doesn’t do it justice, but the certificate calls it “orangish pink”. The final price we have settled on is US$2500.

I would sincerely appreciate any informed views on whether this seems like a good deal? Thanks in advance :)

E81A1FD5-029F-4828-A7CE-FA2408D15073.jpeg B9B9126A-5040-4390-A7E3-8CB4C6AE7120.jpeg

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It does not look anything like a pad sapphire to me--I can't see any orange at all. I don't think it's particularly attractive as a purple/pink sapphire, either, so to me the price seems really excessive. There's a big window, the color looks dark and muddy, and it's an odd shape which would require a custom setting.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see no orange or pink. It almost looks like a tourmaline to me. There's no sparkle or light, either.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Too much purple in the pink, and not enough orange to be a pad in my book. A pad should look like the type of color in @natasha-cupcake's avatar picture. The gem has got a huge window and IMO looks lifeless apart from the edges. Plus it's heated, so I consider it overpriced considering the treatment. I would pass on this stone.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing like a pad at all.

Very purple and dark and looks like a poor quality Ruby.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry that is not a pad, the certificate you have got is not worth the paper it is printed on. I think even if you are looking for a purple sapphire there are probably nicer ones out there than this stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is absolutely NOT a pad sapphire. Not even close. That stone is not worth anywhere near the price they are asking. It will look muddy and dark when it is set, and it is not well cut.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, this gem is not a Pad sapphire.
please, please do not trust these types of lab reports. They are NOT proper gem testing laboratories.
The certificate is FAKE. I tried looking up the website and nothing!
The “gem” is likely glass filled and not worth $2.50 let alone $2,500.
Natural pad sapphires are expensive, thousands per carat, a cheap pad sapphire is either highly treated or lab grown.
please use reputable sellers who provide real and reputable lab reports otherwise you are likely to be deceived and fleeced of your money.

SPK

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Another person rescued from an expensive misadventure. For free!!!!
PS, like others, should take donations for all those saved $$$$$$.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a big NO from me that's a dark unimpressive coloured purple sapphire not a Pad....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would not buy because:

1. Horrid cut (lifeless)
2. Terrible inclusion
3. Unknown lab
4. More purple than anything else

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not even a nice bright purple....

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
There are a few Pad threads and you can get some ideas of vendors who are reputable.
Natasha cupcakes avatar is a Pad that I believe was well priced

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Maybe we should create a thread for not trusted labs... I’ve heard of labs that will indicate whatever color description the client requests and based on the gem vs cert I think this could be one of them... so dodgy man

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This would be my pick if I was buying today. It's more orange-y than pink-y, but to me this is really classic pad color and gorgeous. Smaller and more expensive than the one you looked at, but very reasonable for a true pad sapphire. Yvonne occasionally runs sales with 10-15% off, but no idea when the next one would run.

Here are a few that are also smaller and a little more expensive than the one you originally looked at, but have nice color and no windows:

If you have any interest in the Jupiter Gem ones, there are no sales, but make an offer around 83-85% of the listed price. You are likely to get a positive response.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
@SPK I know this has been said above but in case it is not 100% crystal clear: do NOT waste your money on this stone :)

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
@SPK I know this has been said above but in case it is not 100% crystal clear: do NOT waste your money on this stone :)

Instead, make a 5% value donation to a charity of PS choice.
What charity would PS support?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results