shape
carat
color
clarity

''''P'''' Coloured OEC - too warm???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

As a first time poster I want to show you a ring that recently came into my possession which I am slightly undecided about keeping. Unfortunately my camera and photography skills are sadly lacking, but I''''ve got a few pics that aren''''t too terrible.

I recently fell in love with OEC diamonds (thanks in large part to this forum!) and was lucky enough to pick this ring up for a really good price. I''''m not in love with the setting, no big deal I can change that, but I''''m wondering if it is slightly too ''''warm''''. I''''m actually in two minds - in most lights I absolutely love the extra character the slight tinge of colour gives to this stone, but occasionally I look down and all I can see is yellow. But the thing is I love it because it is an old cut and I know how rare they are becoming and how lucky I was to find this one, it''''s just that sometimes I wonder how I would feel about the extra warmth if I was to go ahead and have it put into my dream setting, so I thought I would solicit some vastly more informed opinions than that of my husband!!! I''''m attaching the best photos I''''ve managed to get. I''''m sure they are frustratingly blurry, but I think they give a general idea of how the stone appears in different lighting.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
''nother one

000_0264.jpg

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Side View. I''m most decidedly not in love with the setting
14.gif

000_0266.jpg

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Last one. Thanks for looking!

000_0262_edited.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Colour and warmth preferences are something that IMHO is something that is really personal and changes from person to person. In a modern RB I prefer icy white but in an old world diamond I don''t believe the lower colour tones would bother me. If you love the character of the diamond and can appreciate the warmth in it then I say go ahead and set it :)

What setting are you considering? :)

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Hi softly, welcome to PS!

How long have you had your OEC? I ask because I also own a lower coloured OEC (it''s a K-L) and when I first got it, I wasn''t sure I would ever get used to the extra warmth and colour. It was set in a simple knife-edged solitaire setting that did nothing for the diamond.

I recently got it reset in a thin antique-style pave setting and the difference is amazing. It really flatters the old cut and strangely, makes it look a lot whiter. I now love the extra warmth because it looks at home in the new setting, and I''m so glad I didn''t exchange it for a whiter OEC.

I think when you find your perfect setting, you will end up loving your diamond too. To my eyes, your diamond is absolutely beautiful, and doesn''t look ''yellow'', it looks more like a candlelight white which is a very flattering colour for an old cut
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s all down to personal preference. I agree with Wolftress that the colour will probably look better in an antique setting.

Have you considered setting it in a necklace or something else where the colour might not matter as much if you''re still unsure?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope and congrats on your find!!

I think a warm tint is part of the charm of these old cuts, so personally I think it is gorgeous and not too warm, but the tint does have to be something you embrace. No doubts about it, a P colour grade will be tinted. Also the tint may vary as you have found in different lights, it will look warmer in some lights than in others. I think if you have feelings for this diamond, then it may be well worth at least putting it into an inexpensive setting to see how it looks out of the setting you dislike, then you can see whether to shoot for the dream setting, or perhaps use the diamond in another way.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
The character and size of this stone appear to be very attractive, and I can see why you fell in love. I had a couple of warmer stones (not oec''s though), and after a few weeks of wearing them--I decided that for my skin tone, I liked less color. You have this wonderful older cut, and this great size-which are going to be compromised if you go with a traditional rb in a similar price range. Would you be happy with a smaller stone? (Once you have worn something larger, it is hard to go back!) (That said, I did it.) If it appears a soft wintery white from above, I would consider a setting that minimizes the side views--maybe even a frame/halo with more strongly yellow small stones. -(That actually sounds divine, to me.)

What''s your dream setting?

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I have a warm diamond, too (m). I can definitely see color more in some settings. As a poster said, you just have to be willing to embrace it. I personally would go with an antique replica setting to make your ring look like the color "fits". There are a lot of sites out there that do replicas......

www.singlestone.com

www.antiqueengagementrings.com

susi

Shiny_Rock
Hello, softly, I''m not an OEC expert but I do have one of these beautiful stones. It''s graded J ( EGL, USA) so it may be one or more grades lower and definitely has a yellow tint especially from the side. This bothered me, too, at first, but I remembered the history of the older cuts and that color preference and information about diamonds was not what it is today.

Meaning that a white white stone that many prefer today was not the preference years ago when these stones adorned some of the wealthiest most social of ladies and gentlemen. Stones were often worn in candlelight and other soft lighting. There was no internet for us to compare colors of diamonds or even deam this color or that more ''desirable'' than another.

It''s strictly personal be it a modern cut or an older cut. Your stone looks just like it''s "supposed" to look for the cut and it''s time. I feel that it''s absolutely beautiful....no matter it''s historical era.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
BTW--I forgot--your stone looks really great! What ct size is that baby? Did I miss it?

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Wolftress - getting a beautiful antique-inspired setting would do wonders for the overall look of the diamond. I also suggest using white gold, as the slightly warm tone, as opposed to platinum, will neutralize the warmth of the diamond.

When I first received my I-color diamond, I was a little worried about the "not totally white" look of it, but the longer I have it and the longer I spend on PS looking at I- through M/N-colored diamonds, I have learned that I love the entire range equally. I can appreciate a diamonds warmer qualities as much as its cooler, because they are suited for different looks.

I say if you love your P, then go ahead and continue loving it!
21.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I like warm diamonds, esp in antique cuts, in antique settings. HOWEVER, I did have a warmer diamond in an antique setting, and the color always bothered me a little.

I LOVE the look of your stone, but if you are questioning the color, and aren''t satisfied, then I would not keep it.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tberube, your stone is the ICYEST I stone I''ve ever seen. I can''t get over how white it is!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Hudson! You''re just inflating my ego all over these boards! What a sweetie you are...and I adore your oval, too - before meeting you I didn''t know if I liked oval cuts, now I''m positive that I love them!

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the responses. I am definitely leaning towards keeping it as I find myself more and more entranced by the chunky facets and large flashes of colour it gives off. And I must confess that I love the size!!! It''s about 1.3-1.4 ct and is over 7mm which to me seems deliciously huge!!! In fact, I can''t imagine wearing anything larger - strange I know, but where I live this is probably one of the largest diamonds I have ever seen. I''m going to wear it around for a couple of days and see how I feel about the colour, but already I am starting to love it for it''s uniqueness.

As for settings, I agree that an antique reproduction would definitely flatter this stone, but I find myself drawn towards sleeker, more modern designs with lots of smooth metal, so I''ll have to wait and see, but it should be fun deciding!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn''t sure whether to keep my K when I first got it. Eventually though, I realized that it was the cut I loved more than anything. Mine is not an OEC, but it was from an estate ring, so I have no idea how old it really is. It''s not the perfect H+A type cut by any means, but I love it''s lack of perfection too. I love the way the old cuts like yours have big chunky facets. If you really don''t love it, then you should send it back. At least you''ll know for the future what your preferred range is. Good luck!

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Just checking back in to say that I have definitely decided to keep this beautiful stone. The more I wear it the more I love it. Browsing through Surfgirl''s thread on her amazing ring really bought home to me just how much I love these older round cuts. While my stone might not be as white (or as large!) as her beautiful one, it does give off that magnificent glitter when I look down at it (which is rather often) and the body colour means that it sometimes glows golden rather than silver which I can definitely live with and appreciate.

Thanks for all the responses. This site is an amazing resource. I came to it knowing very little about diamonds and in few short months of lurking have managed to educate myself somewhat.

Wolftress I would love to see your reset oec. I saw your original thread. Just wondering, also where you had it set as I think you have mentioned previously you live in Australia, as do I.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! I can''t wait to see what you decide to do with the setting. Make sure to post and update!

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
yes yes!! it''s too warm.... if you send it to me I''ll be sure to take care of it appropriately! Hehe just kidding, of course.

I think it''s a lovely stone! I tend to like slightly warm stones, not that I don''t like my icy ones, but it''s nice to have a warm touch in the jewelry options.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! Obviously it''s hard to discern color grades from pics on a computer screen, but your stone is definitely warmer-toned and that''s part of what makes it beautiful, along with the OE cut...I''m glad you decided to keep it and love it! Congrats!
36.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2008 12:13:38 AM
Author: softly softly
Just checking back in to say that I have definitely decided to keep this beautiful stone. The more I wear it the more I love it. Browsing through Surfgirl's thread on her amazing ring really bought home to me just how much I love these older round cuts. While my stone might not be as white (or as large!) as her beautiful one, it does give off that magnificent glitter when I look down at it (which is rather often) and the body colour means that it sometimes glows golden rather than silver which I can definitely live with and appreciate.

Thanks for all the responses. This site is an amazing resource. I came to it knowing very little about diamonds and in few short months of lurking have managed to educate myself somewhat.

Wolftress I would love to see your reset oec. I saw your original thread. Just wondering, also where you had it set as I think you have mentioned previously you live in Australia, as do I.
I missed this thread when you first put it up softly, so I'm glad my update photos today helped you in your decision! Another member of the OCC (Old Cuts Club!)
36.gif
... I think as others have already said, color is very subjective, particularly in old cuts. And typically, old cuts face up whiter than a new RB of similar color so it's likely that your P faces up better than a P of today's RBs.

That said, I'm not hating your setting at all, I just think it's a tad too high and I wonder if you might love it more if you had the stone lowered into the head more? So the stone is seated closer to the hand? I think that setting is very classic and timeless actually, and before I went to the expense of a new setting, I'd see if lowering the center stone might help you love the setting as well...Just a thought! Enjoy your beautiful stone...and please, post better photos so we can see all the delicious details!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2007 5:51:03 AM
Author: Deelight
Colour and warmth preferences are something that IMHO is something that is really personal and changes from person to person. In a modern RB I prefer icy white but in an old world diamond I don''t believe the lower colour tones would bother me. If you love the character of the diamond and can appreciate the warmth in it then I say go ahead and set it :)

What setting are you considering? :)
Ditto.

I have an F color ering (I wanted that icy white for it with absolutely no hint of color from the top or side), but if I had a warm older cut in an older style setting for a RHR, I would love it!

Do you love the stone or do you love the idea of the older stone? This isn''t the only stone you will come across, get what you love.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2008 2:22:50 AM
Author: surfgirl

I missed this thread when you first put it up softly, so I''m glad my update photos today helped you in your decision! Another member of the OCC (Old Cuts Club!)
36.gif
... I think as others have already said, color is very subjective, particularly in old cuts. And typically, old cuts face up whiter than a new RB of similar color so it''s likely that your P faces up better than a P of today''s RBs.

That said, I''m not hating your setting at all, I just think it''s a tad too high and I wonder if you might love it more if you had the stone lowered into the head more? So the stone is seated closer to the hand? I think that setting is very classic and timeless actually, and before I went to the expense of a new setting, I''d see if lowering the center stone might help you love the setting as well...Just a thought! Enjoy your beautiful stone...and please, post better photos so we can see all the delicious details!

Surfgirl I would love to post better photos but I''m doubtful as to my ability to produce them. Unfortunately my camera is about 4 years old and I am not really that adept at using it. I''ll keep trying though. The one I''ve attached at the bottom is perhaps slightly better.

As for the setting, I can appreciate what you are saying, it certainly is not horrible, and in fact has 6 teeny tiny OECs in the shank which are a nice touch, it''s more the overall style that doesn''t appeal to me. It''s rather thin and angular whereas I tend to prefer heavier, more fluid settings. Also the prongs on the head are rather scary - I have small children and the times I have been wearing it I''ve had to be careful not to scratch them. So I''ll just have to keep thinking regarding the setting - luckily this site provides plenty of inspiration.

Actually it''s nice to have access to all this feedback as most people I know would think me very strange if I started asking detailed questions about their jewellery. My husband is no help, despite being a geologist. When he first looked at the diamond he thought the open cutlet was an inclusion. Unfortunately he finds diamonds completely uninteresting.

000_0249.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are keeping that lovely diamond, enjoy her!!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I really am starting to like antique cuts and I think the warmth adds character to those stone. I agree it might look more at home in a more antique looking setting.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous ring and I LOVE the setting! Maybe consider surfgirl''s advice re: having it set a little lower. I would love love love to have a ring like that. I was going to ask you where you found it, but I think you mentioned about that you live in Australia, which may be a wee bit far for me to travel. But, I''d be curious anyway, what type of shop did you find it in, or did you find it on-line?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
If snagging prongs is a concern, you might want to consider "flat edged" Art Deco style prongs. My ring has them and others here have them as well. They''re less sharp since they have a flat edge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results