shape
carat
color
clarity

Overpriced Tiffany on eBay & Etsy

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, I am always leary of Tiffany for sale on eBay or Etsy, but this surprised me.
I needed a Tiffany silver jump ring for putting a charm on my bracelet, but did not see them for sale on the Tiffany website,
so I went to eBay ---where a single jump ring sells for up to $40.
Then I went to Etsy - there was one for sale...$45.
On a whim I called Tiffany and they were happy to send me a few jump rings for $20 each with free shipping. And I know they are authentic.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome! :appl:

May I ask ... why are they called "jump rings"?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458072956|4005764 said:
That's awesome! :appl:

May I ask ... why are they called "jump rings"?

I just went on a google hunt to answer your question and this seems to be one of the great mysteries of life : )

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the full reason why they are called jump rings, but they originate from way back in the day - chain maille. The interlocked rings are called jump rings, and fashioned into armour would be chain maille.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1458076476|4005800 said:
I don't know the full reason why they are called jump rings, but they originate from way back in the day - chain maille. The interlocked rings are called jump rings, and fashioned into armour would be chain maille.

yes. Perhaps the "jump" is the name for the connector between two rings in the maille, now the connector - or jump- between the link of bracelet and the link of charm.
Also...jump [start] a car - cars are connected.
Still not finding anything to clarify on the web : )

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That might be it - because they are open/there is a gap - maybe that's the 'jump'?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many things on ebay that sell for more than retail - it truly is buyer beware!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1458082115|4005850 said:
There are many things on ebay that sell for more than retail - it truly is buyer beware!!
Yes! It's weird! Some of the Tiffany is more than you would pay in the store. What is up with that?!?! and I also love when things are described as "rare", then there will be 5 of the same thing on the next page. Truly it is a swamp, but I have found some great things over the years...and a few duds :wall:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did someone say, "Overpriced Tiffany"?

... talk about an oxymoron. :lol:

Is there any other kind of Tiffany? :mrgreen:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too don't understand why people do not do research things they bid on for ebay auctions. I've seen prices driven up and over full retail and shake my head. Is it because people just get in a frenzy and have to be the winning bidder price be damned? It is a dynamic that I don't relate to and have often thought perhaps it is people that don't have these retail sellers in their general area so that ebay is their only realistic way to buy. However, with the internet, you can find and order just about anything in the world so that argument doesn't really hold water either. I've seen things advertised as real and genuine and you know that they aren't but they still generate bids. It truly can be a peculiar place!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1458089683|4005900 said:
Did someone say, "Overpriced Tiffany"?

... talk about an oxymoron. :lol:

Is there any other kind of Tiffany? :mrgreen:

No, I agree. There really is no way to justify their prices even though I've bought a couple of things from them through the years. Not major diamonds but I do love some of their pieces. Overpaying for a luxury item is just one of the puzzles of life I suppose. You could leave there and go to the grocery store and refuse to pay the price for a name brand jar of jelly - makes no sense but it just is - I just accept it as irrational and move along - lol!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have seen similar pricing with Hermes items. Hermes Twilly's (those colorful narrow scarves that can be tied around bag handles) retail for about $160 in store and I've seen the same exact ones sell for over $200 on EBay. Some of the auction sites can be a great resource, but I always price check before making a purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results