shape
carat
color
clarity

Out of these 2 choices, which one is the better diamond?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd buy the AGS graded diamond.

Dneedshelp

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1410417400|3748871 said:

Thank you replying!! May I ask why though? I have about 13 diamonds saved in my favorites from Ritani trying to narrow them down. This is so frustrating! lol...thought this would be a lot easier than it has been. Thanks again for responding!

Dneedshelp

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1410417400|3748871 said:

Is this one even worth considering? Is it worth the price tag? Thanks!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I think we need to start from the beginning and need some basic info. I can't answer for Gypsy, but my thought is since the first 2 Ritani stones are very similar, at least you have the AGS0 light performance data, and the PA is safer at 40.9. Are you tied to Ritani due to a setting preference? What is your budget? What size/color/clarity range are you trying to hit? What is your dream target for size? Assuming you want top notch cut for light performance.

If you want the biggest stone your budget allows, you might want to drop to GIA triple X or AGS0, not reserve ideal on Ritani, that sell for a premium. You probably wouldn't see a significant difference. I thought I wanted a super ideal cut, but got my dream size by doing this and extremely happy. But that's personal preference, so you may need to see some diamonds to decide for yourself.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one is gorgeous!

Dneedshelp

Rough_Rock
luvdajules|1410443312|3748973 said:
I think we need to start from the beginning and need some basic info. I can't answer for Gypsy, but my thought is since the first 2 Ritani stones are very similar, at least you have the AGS0 light performance data, and the PA is safer at 40.9. Are you tied to Ritani due to a setting preference? What is your budget? What size/color/clarity range are you trying to hit? What is your dream target for size? Assuming you want top notch cut for light performance.

If you want the biggest stone your budget allows, you might want to drop to GIA triple X or AGS0, not reserve ideal on Ritani, that sell for a premium. You probably wouldn't see a significant difference. I thought I wanted a super ideal cut, but got my dream size by doing this and extremely happy. But that's personal preference, so you may need to see some diamonds to decide for yourself.

Thanks for replying. I'm going to put it all out there..LOL…starting from the beginning!

I've been married for 22 glorious years to a gem ;-) of a husband. I had to sell my wedding ring, along with all my other jewelry a long time back to help keep us afloat. I don't regret doing it at all because it did exactly what was needed at the time. Our business didn't make it, but we did, and things are wonderful for us now and it's finally time to replace my ring. I'm beyond excited & thrilled, but I really wished I had found this site before starting my endeavors. I've made some mistakes already, and this is too big of a purchase to have made any.

We are going to finance a portion, and have already secured a nice limit with Ritani/Synchrony bank. Another (already secured) place is Fred Meyer Jewelers, but prices there seem to be higher for the same quality, and with a lot less choices in diamonds. I will say that Fred Meyer's has an excellent lifetime care/replacement/trade up plan is seems. Another plus is that I get to see their diamonds in person first. Both places gave us generous limits, so I'm trying to stay with one of them to avoid another cc inquiry. And, to be honest, at this point trying for a new trade line might be pushing it.

I guess you can say I got suckered into applying at Fred Meyer first. The sales rep said it would be better to apply first, then pick the diamond second, but after seeing the specs on the one diamond I did pick, that is when all my "you better start researching diamonds" actually started. After reviewing possible places to buy a good quality, worth the costs diamond, Ritani seemed to have the best prices, so being as excited I was, I applied there too! LOL…guess I suckered myself that time! I wished I didn't apply at either now, but it is what it is. So…I'm trying to buy from Ritani first, Fred Meyer second.

It is easy for me to use the tools here to weed out the undesirable ones, but when comparing the angles, depths, percentages, etc., on the good grading ones is where I get frustrated. I honestly am clueless what I need to look for. When you said… "since the first 2 Ritani stones are very similar, at least you have the AGS0 light performance data, and the PA is safer at 40.9." What's an unsafe pavilion angle was my first though.

Cut - I just want a diamond worth the $ invested. A great cut with lots of fire/sparkle and faces up bright. It is like every Jewelry site has their own quality cut line. I'm so confuse here in this department. Is the Ritani Reserved Ideal "really" the better choice, or can I find just as good a diamond being an ideal cut? I would think so, but I don't know?! Fred Meyer has the Forever Ideal Hearts & Arrows, Jared's/Kay the Leo, and the list goes on and on. My frustrated meter just spiked a little! :doh:

Clarity - As long as I can't see the inclusions I would be thrilled to own an SI1. That would allow for a bigger diamond to be purchased. :love: At first everyone was telling me that SI1's are eye clean, now I'm learning it's more a hit and miss thing. I'm trying for the best eye-clean quality I can get for the money basically.

Color - this has been very hard for me! I've seen I colors look just as good as H and vice versa. I've seen D-F colors and some being very nice while others being just okay. I'm trying to buy quality, so I was thinking that going down in color would allow for that. Preferably I'd like H or better, but considering an I? Shoot, I really don't know...again, the best I can get for the $.

Carat - I had a 1.52 before, and I was okay with it, but I did often think how a little bigger stone would be nicer. Whatever the size picked it really needs to resonate with me that I know I got the best diamond for the money. Push comes to shove though I would happily take a 1.52 again, but I would also love to own a 1.75 or greater.

Budget - Gosh, its really been all over the place. I think everyone want to spend as little as they have to spend. The budget is open up to $20,000, but I honestly do not want to spend that! $15,000 or lower would be much better. It's scary to me spending $20,000 on a diamond and really having no clue if it's really worth it.

Thanks so much for taking the time out to read this!

Dneedshelp

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1410454561|3749099 said:
The first one is gorgeous!

Thanks! This one is now officially the first one on my high probability list! Granted it still around when the time comes for me to pick one. I'm trying to hurry it up with choosing to avoid that from happening, but there's just too much to learn in an unrealistic timeframe unfortunately. :wall: these little guys are so cute!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results