shape
carat
color
clarity

Our vacation and Career advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone-

I am back after a long "vacation." Relaxing, it was not, but fun, yes. We flew from our home in Tampa to Boston where we spent a week with Dh's parents. We traveled to Williamstown to visit my grandparents, and then to Essex and Niantic, CT. It was so gorgeous. We hopped back on the plane to Seattle, where we visited with my parents for a week, traveled around the area. It was lovely- but exhausting. We are so going to Key West next summer.

It was kind of frustrating because I am now 28 and have been teaching public school for 4 years. I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Music- I am an accomplished violinist and violist and have played all over the world. I studied at Juilliard when I was a child and have won all sorts of competitions. (blushes a little). I was planning to play in a professional major orchestra as a profession but have found it nearly impossible and not what I want to do at all, with so many musicians being laid off and orchestras in the red.

I decided to teach public school to pay our bills, (btw DH is in the same situation as well ---violinist-teacher) We live pretty decently in Tampa, we own our own house, and are reasonably happy. I don't like teaching at all, and the salary is so tiny. I need to figure out a career. I went to Rice, and have a good GPA.

I am considering law school, but the only law school in town is Stetson, which is a third tier school.
7.gif
this worries me a little. I would need to stay in Tampa for school. I wish I could put my music degree to a good use, but it is barely worth the sheepskin it is printed on. Anyone enjoy their job and make good money?

I would like to earn 6 figures and I am willing to put in the time- I am an excellent student and a hard worker and have a great resume and work experience. Am I qualified to do anything outside of teaching or performing? I'm not sure I am- That's why I think I should get another degree.

My biggest concern is that we will not be able to afford to retire someday with the salary we are making right now. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks for listening.

14.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
can you teach privately on the side and pocket that money for retirement?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Ladykemma,
We are going to start a studio in the fall. we are sending our son to private school for many reasons and it is the only way we will be "comfortable" while paying for this. I think it is a good option, but I want to separate myself from music... I am not happy trying to make a living from it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
a lot of people change careers at this age. you''re not alone.

what makes your eyes twinkle? when you think of a different career?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Boy, does your story sound familiar. Here''s my deal: My bachelors is in middle school education. I taught in public school and did not like it-for a myriad of reasons-low pay, low respect, little wiggle room with contracts, yada yada. I joined the peace corps and dh proposed over the phone and joined me (little tidbit of errant info). Taught 2 more years in a private high school-loved it. Spent another year with world health org working with a malaria project with a woman working on phd in communcation disorders. Came back and called and intereviewed different professionals, trying to see what to do masters in. Decided to go with speech pathology and never looked back. I do this at an exclusive private school. Hence, my children get free tuition. My hours are wonderful, my parents are wonderful, the staff is wonderful, the environment is pure heaven. So, I would say to you that before you throw the baby out with the bath water, think about maybe changing your environment. BUT, if you want the six figures, you will probably have to change careers altogether. I worked my tooties off for that masters but it was well worth it. I could go to another place and make a lot more, but knowing I could makes all the diff. I remember I went and made an appt with a guidance/career counselor at my undergrad university who helped me a lot when I was trying to make a decision. Could you do that?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you live in a few select areas, I don''t know of any jobs besides MD that can get you a 6 figure income quickly. All attorneys don''t earn high incomes.

One thing about teaching, though, is that most states do allow you to retire with full benefits after 30 years. Health insurance coverage for life is worth a LOT. I also have a friend who works part-time at a private school and her children get half-tuition. So there can be benefits there that other jobs do not offer. My husband has a job and earns about 3 times what I do teaching, but he also works about double the hours and has waaaaay more stress than I can imagine. So just remember that the more you earn sometimes, the less you''ll be home with your family and the more stress you may have. The grass isn''t always greener, as they say.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Pinkflamingo-

Like the others have said, go with your heart. What really makes you light up and follow that career...

Honestly, please don''t apply to law school unless you REALLY want to be a lawyer. It''s a painful and grueling experience (not to mention expensive). And with a youngster at home, that''s not really the lifestyle you want to lead...long, hard hours and days.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
there are too many trained lawyers and many are crawling on their knees for sh*t jobs. is this worth the student loans? engineering pays well.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any other degrees? With music, you may be able to teach lessons at your studio as well as teach at a local college or private school. Maybe music theory or something?

There is a similar situation right now in my family. My mother works for a Big Three automobile company and is now getting into teaching community/private college courses with her MBA because she is concerned for her job security later. She was unsure what to do after the career with the car company was over, and now she feels really positive about heading into teaching college level courses because she will be able to transition into that easily if/when she retires.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 9:27:45 AM
Author: scarlet16
Pinkflamingo-

Like the others have said, go with your heart. What really makes you light up and follow that career...

Honestly, please don''t apply to law school unless you REALLY want to be a lawyer. It''s a painful and grueling experience (not to mention expensive). And with a youngster at home, that''s not really the lifestyle you want to lead...long, hard hours and days.
Let me echo this. Scarlet16 is absolutely right. Law, medicine, and many other professions have high entry barriers/costs and require a dedication and discipline to succeed that few people are willing to invest for the money alone. You have to really want to do it, be willing to make the sacrifices and enjoy the work for it to be worthwhile.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy do I know your situation. Our resumes read almost exactly alike, from childhood on up! I have a brother who is a musician in one of the country''s "top" symphonies and he''s feeling the pinch, so I know how you feel about wanting to stay away from joining an orchestra. Although given your love of music, it''d be nice to make use of those degrees. Have you considered orchestra management? You could take an MFA course in arts administration and start working your way up in a musical organization. That was the trajectory I was on until I moved out west, when I decided I wanted to get as far away from the orchestra biz as possible! (I got pretty disenchanted with it after only 2 1/2 years in the biz, but many people stay in it for a lifetime, obviously) Senior-level execs at orchestras/ballets/operas do make in the 6 digits, but it takes a while to get there. (shorter if you have an MBA or MFA though) Starting salaries in nonprofit arts orgs in the midwest were around 35K in the mid-90''s when I was out of college. They might be around 40K now. Just one idea.

I have a college friend who was an opera singer until she decided she wanted out of the opera rat race, so she studied to become a speech pathologist and is now a VERY successful supervisor at a hospital clinic. She works with kids and loves her job. I don''t know if she makes 6 digits but if not, she''s close. (been doing it for 10 years) She said that her background in music and voice was a BIG plus when she was applying to speech path schools. Another friend (non-musician) was tired of her marketing job after 7 years and decided she wanted to help people directly, so she is now in physical therapy school. She will graduated with a DPT and be able to command a 6-figure salary right out of school. PTs are in extremely high demand all over the country. She did, however, need to spend 2 years prior to PT school completing all the science prereqs.

Other career ideas related to music: sound engineering, music therapy. I had looked into music therapy when I was in high school and at the time, it was a new field undergoing some skepticism in the medical community. Now, however, it seems to enjoy more acceptance and is more widespread. As for me, I ended up taking undergrad level courses in science so that I could do what I''m doing now, and I enjoy it a lot. I don''t make 6 figures but I''m making high 5 figures...not bad considering I only work 4 days a week. Still, I''m not wedded to my current job and am open to trying other things in the future!

It''s tough for a musician these days!!! I totally know how you feel. I agree with the others about not going to law school unless that you have a passion for law. Don''t make any career steps unless you have a specific vision for yourself. But, I can see that in your case the intelligence is there, the aptitude is there...you are smart and all you need is passion and commitment for whatever career path you choose. Once you decide, it''ll all be downhill from there. :) Good luck!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
consider also audiology

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I''m encouraging my daughter to look at physical therapy, althought I would love for her to follow me in speech-language pathology. The way managed care is going these days, getting insurance coverage for services is getting tighter and tighter. Speech and language is usually the last area that shows tangible results in rehabilitation and the area least funded. When you are finished with your masters (and you have to have a masters to be certified clinically competent for licensure), you will be required to do an educational and then a medical internship. Without any background, this may require 3+ years of school. Then, you will do a clinical fellowship year, where you are required to be supervised (work for less pay). It''s a long road and you must have a passion for it (I guess like anything else).

I would say that if you want to try law, then do it. You are young (same age I was when I went back). Go go go until you hit a wall. You will never know until you try.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 9:48:14 AM
Author: ladykemma
there are too many trained lawyers and many are crawling on their knees for sh*t jobs. is this worth the student loans? engineering pays well.

that''s been true for many many years........ going ''in house'' with a corporation''s legal department can be a bit easier but many only hire experienced legal beagles [read paid many years of hard dues at legal firm] and/or who went to specific law schools. a friend of mine that decided to go ahead anyway was told that in the first year only about 1/3 of the class that was married would still be married when they got their degree....and this was also a third tier law school....and it was true. if you plan to stay local and be prominent in your own community this is not necessarily a bad way to go. local judges often teach classes and connections are made this way. however, you may never reach a 6 figure salary. if you''re going to stress your marriage, your parenting time, increase your debt due to student loans, please make very very sure you love law. it could be possible to combine your music expertise with law in hollywood...........but then that has its pit of demons attached also.

movie zombie

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
there is a nursing shortage. A BS in nursing, you can name your price. A MS in nursing and you run the place.

a little "associate degree 2 year RN" earns 56,000 per annum in tampa. from a salary website, not sure how accurate it is though. bs, ms can easily earn in the 6 figgers.

http://www.ut.edu/admissions/new/nursing.html

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Dental techs are also in pretty hot demand - good salaries and can pretty much name their hours in my area.

Not sure how much training, but couldn''t be any more than law! lol

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
dental tech in houston it is a 1 year program.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone,
thanks for the responses.

I have considered nursing, but I am drawn more to Pharm. I did take Anatomy and Physiology last semester at USF, and did very well. I have so many prereqs to take, and Pharm school is very competitive so I need to get high grades in everything.

I didnt realize nurses made so much! I thought it was more like 40K starting and maybe up to 65K at the end. Dh''s cousin is a first year nurse and she is making $18 an hour. That is in MA. I guess it varies by area.

I am very interested in law, many of my friends landed successful jobs straight out of law school. I did take some prelaw courses in high school and college and loved them, but I thought I was going to pursue the violin. The law school (stetson) has a night law school where I could work during the day and go to school at night and during the summer and it is three years. it seems like a good idea, as opposed to Pharm, which is also 3 years long, but carries 12 courses of prereqs. If I dont get into law school or get the financial aid I will need (still carrying around grad school debt)it wont be a great loss. However, if I try to get A''s in 12 Pharm pre-reqs (most have labs as well!) and I cant get into Pharm school, it would just stink!

Ponders a little...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
my brother was a pharmacist. he said this was a typical day. count the pills put them in the bottle call the insurance company.
count the pills put them in the bottle call the insurance company count the pills put them in the bottle call the insurance company count the pills put them in the bottle call the insurance company count the pills put them in the bottle call the insurance company

he is a nurse anaesthesiologist now.

it really does sound like you want law anyway.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 4:36:41 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
Hey everyone,
thanks for the responses.

I have considered nursing, but I am drawn more to Pharm. I did take Anatomy and Physiology last semester at USF, and did very well. I have so many prereqs to take, and Pharm school is very competitive so I need to get high grades in everything.

I didnt realize nurses made so much! I thought it was more like 40K starting and maybe up to 65K at the end. Dh's cousin is a first year nurse and she is making $18 an hour. That is in MA. I guess it varies by area.

I am very interested in law, many of my friends landed successful jobs straight out of law school. I did take some prelaw courses in high school and college and loved them, but I thought I was going to pursue the violin. The law school (stetson) has a night law school where I could work during the day and go to school at night and during the summer and it is three years. it seems like a good idea, as opposed to Pharm, which is also 3 years long, but carries 12 courses of prereqs. If I dont get into law school or get the financial aid I will need (still carrying around grad school debt)it wont be a great loss. However, if I try to get A's in 12 Pharm pre-reqs (most have labs as well!) and I cant get into Pharm school, it would just stink!

Ponders a little...
If you are honestly considering going to law school, then I suggest auditing a class at the school you're considering (including doing all the prep work for that class). And, if you really plan on spending time with your child, I would not suggest a night law school program (coming from a night law student in a top tier program). It is an EXTREME amount of work; most people don't realize how time intensive it really (both in law school and when you get out). As for the market for attorneys, keep in mind that it is TOTALLY saturated right now. I have had friends come out of law school that are having problems getting jobs. If you are really thinking about it, I'd take a step back and consider why you want to do this. If the only reason is financial, then you should really consider another field. Not to try to talk you out of it, but it is a very hard life.

Nursing is not a bad idea...both of my fiance's parents are nurses and are constantly talking about the shortage. The signing bonuses and other perks right now are pretty insane, and should remain this way for the next few years, but again, this is a VERY tough lifestlye...more manual labor (in a different way) than anything.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That''s crazy!!
Thanks, LadyKemma, a new path to look at.

scarlet, thank you for the warning about law school. That is definitely a huge concern for me- to take on extra debt, and then not be able to find a job. That was why health care appealed to me.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
(like totally not minding my business) the univ of tampa and the other univ there has a one year accrelerated program for career changers ending with a BSN.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with either PT or nursing. Nurses can name their salaries and hours these days. There are all kinds of nurse specialties as well. With a young child I don''t think law school etc... would be feasible time wise. From what I''ve read if you find a law job you might be put on the "mommy" track due to not being able to work insane hours which would significantly reduce your salary. I know pleanty of struggling lawyers who work 2 jobs to make ends meet. There are just too many lawyers around.

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered sales? You dont need any formal education to make a move into sales and you can make six figures in a lot of industries.

What about something entreprenuerial? I had a friend who''s aunt had a background in music and teaching and she eventually opened a licensed preschool that was music-centered. She didnt do any teaching, she ran the place.

I work in the health care industry and I know in California that RNs do extremely well. Nurse Practitioners do even better. We have a nurse practitioner in our dept who makes $133K plus overtime. Overtime! I cant even believe it. However, shes gonna price herself out of job soon b/c we can hire a generalist physician for $150K and can get more services and pay no overtime. RNs in our department are making around $40/hr and they get overtime. The ones that are managers do worse b/c they end up exempt/salaried. And get this, the RNs get overtime for anything over 8 hours in a day, and then if its also more than 40 hours in a week they get overtime for the hours again. I picked the wrong profession.

I feel your pain, I hate my job, and Im beginning to hate my profession (human resources). But I make a good salary for very little work so I cant justify leaving just yet...but soon I know that I need a change.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results