shape
carat
color
clarity

OUCH! Any expierence with something dropping on toe...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
NICE TYPO LOL

So I"m just curioius. It's Sunday and I'm so NOT going to the dr....

This gigantic round flat roasting pan fell RIGHT on my big toe...it immediately turned blacl/green with some of the worse pain I've ever felt and is throbbing for hours...a bit of a MO FO...

I'm just curious is this happened to anyone and they didn't go to the dr....I heard people poke holes in the nail to drain it. Yeah, not doing that either...
Wonfering if anyone's ever just heeled and how long it took...Even if I broke it, there's nothing they can do either...

I guess I should go invest in some Lee Press-On Toes.. LOL

lydia

Rough_Rock
Is it the toenail that is black/blue? If so relieving the pressure by seeing a podiatrist would help. He/she can laser a small hole in the nail that will be less painful than what you are experiencing now.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Youch! I stubbed my big toe very hard by pulling an iron bedframe directly into it once & had the same coloration thing/pain happen & you''re not gonna like what happened next. Pain. Pain. Pain. Oozing. And, eventually, maybe a week or so in I went to the doctors & they said there really wasn''t much to be done. The toenail was most def. coming OFF. Blerg. I think I had some kind of cushioned wrap thingie that helped it not feel so weird while it was growing back ... and it *did* grow back, after about 10 MONTHS ... but the whole thing was
7.gif
... not
14.gif
and not quite
32.gif
but more than a bit
39.gif

If the pain stays this bad you may wanna head to an Urgent Care center to get it checked out. Hope yours heals much faster & that you don''t lose yr. toenail.
19.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys ... LOL- Yeah, I pretty much expect it to fall off....lovely..they actually do make press on toes LOL...

I just really am not a dr. person....and it''s Sunday....and and and :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I did that when I was little and my dad drilled a hole through the nail - he is an MD it wasn''t just ambitious DIY.
9.gif

It did make it hurt quite a lot less.

I did it again a few years ago and drilled my own hole this time - you just use a big sewing needle, it doesn''t really hurt doing it.

lydia

Rough_Rock
You will be surprised how much relief you will get by seeing the right doctor. You may loose the nail, nothing can be done about that at this point and it will probably take about 9 months for the new one to come back in completely. But you don''t have to suffer while this process is taking place. I work for a wonderful podiatrist that has helped many in your situation, you just have to be a willing participant.
I''m so sorry this has happened to you - foot pain of any kind is not fun.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I know, but it''s complicated....still have one car since our move from outisde of NYC where we only needed one car....and hubby takes it now...and he''s in the middle of a project implimentation, so I don''t want to ask him for it....Also, by the time I get there anyway (say I did do it tomorrow)....I wonder if the blood would be dried up anyway...

I''m tempted, but far too nervous and grossed out about poking it with a needle myself....what if you go too far? Can''t it get infected? It really freakin hurts hours later but at least I can handle the pain now...Thanks guys!

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
I dropped a sofa on my toe about two years ago, OUCH! I called my brother who is an athletic trainer/physical therapist, and he did confirm drilling a hole in it was my best bet. However I was in so much pain, I couldn''t do it so I kept it elevated and applied lots of ice.

My toe nail was black for AT LEAST nine months, but the toe nail never fell off, thank god! I live in Florida so I wear sandals most of the time, and not having a toe nail would have been torture for me. I just kept it colored with bold nail polish at all times.

Good luck!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the drill hole technique needs to be done right away after the accident. keep the toe from swelling with ice and keep it elevated. i ignored this once many years ago when a can....a very large can....landed on my big toe. months later i had to to into the doctor because my foot was swelling as well. the doctor RIPPED the toe nail off without anesthetic. i won''t repeat here what i screamed at the time....... since then i practice the drill whole with a needle technique.....

movie zombie

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve broken my right big toe a few times. You''re right, if the toe is broken there isn''t much they can do. I would still recommend getting it x-rayed, though. The issue is that if the bone is cracked to the joint, the healing time is going to be a lot longer than if it it''s broken somewhere else. Plus (and I hate to say it), that kind of break sometimes requires a pin. The second time I broke my toe--after dropping a desk on it while moving--this happened. My doctor recommended surgery because I can no longer bend it, but I don''t think it''s worth it. Still, it''s best to know what kind of break you''re dealing with if it is broken.

I''m a big fan of the "drill a hole in the nail to relieve pressure" approach. For now just keep it iced and elevated...it will continue to throb but keeping it elevated helps. If the pressure becomes too much, relieving the pressure might seem very inviting. It really does help.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness! I''m so sorry you hurt your toe. I am the queen of broken toes. I am really horrible about going to the doctor so I can''t offer any advice there. I''m sure they could help, though. Do you have an urgent care facility (not ER) you can go to today so you can avoid going to an appt. during the week? I smashed my finger while cooking on Easter - that sucked! A house full of people, DD on the counter helping me cook, and down comes a canister lid right on my index finger. I couldn''t even shout any obsenities!!!!!! The nail didn''t come off or lift up. Maybe you will be as lucky.

If you don''t go to the doc, at least ice it down.

And yes, haha once (if) your nail comes off you can have an acrylic put on it. I think it''s safe to do.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you have hurt your toe this is extremely painful injury!
My husband is a doctor and he release the blood by heating a paper clip and then gently putting to the nail (PLAESE DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!!!!!!!)
He said the doctor can do it 3 to 4 days after the injury and still get relief.
Toe injuries are exquisitely painful. DD had her toe stepped on at a party by a drunken buffoon last week and he broke it AND ripped the nail off.
She was and is still in severe pain 8 days later
8.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I''m laughing at all of you shouting obscenities...LOL...I get that LOL....

So...I got a safety pin...nice and hot and sterile....sat on the bed with a towel....put a little pressure on the nail...and chickened out LOL

If it hurts like this tomorrow, I think I"ll go to the dr (ugh)....I can bend it, etc...I guess that doesn''t mean a bone can''t be bruised or broken....but I don''t think it is....the throbbing is crazy though....

I always wear very very dark red/black nail polish but happened to have a light color on and noticed immediately that it was turning green/black under it...I took off the polish and almost the whole nail is black....I guess I''m going back to dark red ...if I lose it that will totally suck with the open toe shoes I wear but I''ll serously get a fake toe nail if I have to or just paint one on LOL....

With my luck I''ll get called for a job interview all gimpy....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OUCH, that sucks. I hope you get to see a Doc soon. Sounds so painful.
39.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Been there, done that! Two years ago I dropped a heavy glass mixing bowl on my big toe. Major pain and swelling. I don''t remember the toenail turning colors, but I had dark nailpolish on, and wouldn''t have noticed anyway.
I waited a few days then had it x-rayed. I couldn''t walk on it and it was broken. I guess breaking a small toe isn''t such a big deal, but breaking your big toe does merit attention, as we use that for balance when walking (according to the doc).
Long story short, I went to a podiatrist who put me in a walking boot, which caused other problems, and after 6 weeks I had enough. Then I went to an orthopedic doctor who said, why are you wearing that? He fitted me with something for my shoe and I was better immediately. My recommendation is if urgent care or your regular doc says it''s broken, see a bone doctor.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My father once dropped a helium tank (which was actually VERY heavy, despite the fact that it was filled with helium) on his big toe and went to the emergency room. It was a good thing, because he broke his big toe in four places. I''m not joking. He was on crutches for a very long time, and my mother had to learn to pump her own gas for the first time in her life because he couldn''t do it anymore. (This happened about 20 years ago.)

I''d go to the doc, just in case.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My horse stepped on my right big toe once. I remember UNBELIEVABLE pain, and the edges of the nail were bleeding. The nail did eventually fall off, although it took several weeks for that to happen. It took about a year for the nail to grow back, but it looks fine now!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys!!! Thanks so much for all of the support and info!

Well, the pain was SO horrible, that I woke hubby at 5 am and we went to the ER...I couldn''t wait one more minute...I just needed something for that pain. It got worse and worse and I''d give it a 9 out of 10 leaving 1 point for unmedicated childbirth and dismemberment LOL...

Well, I got the little hole burned into the nail and blood gushed out...The entire toe nail is black as night and still hurts, but NOTHING like before! I have it all wrapped up and a little blue shoe now LOL..

I''m glad you guys prepared me for it!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you went and had it checked out and it is feeling *a little* better. Still sounds painful!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Glad you went and had it drained. This doesn''t necessarily mean you''re out of the losing-a-nail-woods yet!

I managed to damage my toe by stopping reallllly short after running almost full sprint during an ultimate frisbee game. I slammed my left big toe so hard into the front of my sneaker and totally demolished the nail bed. I was foolish and didn''t visit a doctor until MONDAY (this happened on a THURSDAY). He said that I was way past keeping the nail and ended up doing what they call "digital blocking"- basically injecting your toe with local anesthetic from the joint outwards and removing the nail. I recall the doctor saying to the nurse- catch some of that and have it cultured!
32.gif
Its been a year and 4 months and my nail is finally starting to be a more normal thickness but its still pretty nasty. When it was growing back it was actually ingrown on one side so I had to have the digital blocking again so they could cut down the side of my nail and put this stuff in the nail bet to prevent that part from growing back.

I now call this toe nail my "ogre nail" because its far from feminine. Needless to say I always have it painted. I have faith that one day it will be the same thickness as my others.

Sorry for the graphic story- I just didn''t want you to be unprepared for what might come.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
So let me start off with I am the QUEEN of dropping/something happening to my left big toe...It got ran over by a car when I was a little girl.. and then when I was 14 I stubbed it at cheer practice and then got mad at my mom and kicked the door and broke it with blood everywhere and had to have it cut out....

And then 2 1/2 yrs ago I dropped a glass purse thing on it.. well it fell on it... onto the tile floor.. and my TOE broke the fall... I immediately FELL to the floor and crawled to my room and called my mom screaming lol.. needless to say I lost that toe nail but it took a while... Well... when it started to grow back I got the smart idea that I should put a fake one on it because I live in Florida and people would see me and no toe nail, and i modeled so I didnt want to not have a toenail.. well BAD idea... that was like May and then in Dec I was walking out of a store behind my BF and he stopped shortly and my toe hit the back of his foot and jammed my toe nail, and needless to say my entire flip flop was COVERED in blood in probably 15 secs.. it was BAD... so i ended up losing my ENTIRE NAIL and NAIL BED!! it took FOREVER to grow back, but i did NOT put another acrlyic on it!!

So my advice to you.. DO NOT PUT ANY KIND OF NAIL over your real one... I know it sucks... but it could end up worse like in my case.... :)

Hope it feel better!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG.....you guys are too much with your own OUCH stories! I cringe think of it!!! The difference is amazing...It''s kinda gross bc blood is still coming out of the little hole...eww....but it''s so funny to see the black get lower and lower and drain....He said I can paint it in two weeks (I ALWAYS have them painted bc my feet are ugg LOL) so until then it''s band-aid city...if it comes off and I get an "ogre toe" LOL..I''ll just get one of those press-on ones that go on with tape...

Thank god it isn''t broken bc I may be interviewing soon!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sorry, your''re a goner.
41.gif
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

lydia

Rough_Rock
moremoremore, how''s the toe?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 12:55:16 PM
Author: moremoremore
OMG.....you guys are too much with your own OUCH stories! I cringe think of it!!! The difference is amazing...It''s kinda gross bc blood is still coming out of the little hole...eww....but it''s so funny to see the black get lower and lower and drain....He said I can paint it in two weeks (I ALWAYS have them painted bc my feet are ugg LOL) so until then it''s band-aid city...if it comes off and I get an ''ogre toe'' LOL..I''ll just get one of those press-on ones that go on with tape...

Thank god it isn''t broken bc I may be interviewing soon!
Good for you!
36.gif
Can you wear a shoe? DH bruised a toe (possibly broken) playing football BAREFOOT at a party. He was out of town and in meetings the following week. He was miserable!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
is this the job you told me about at the courthouse?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results