shape
carat
color
clarity

Ostrich!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I was joking in a previous thread where I asked whether people prefer beef to chicken (and hence whether I should offer it as an option at the reception). I started getting silly andd suggested doing up a ''fake menu'' with silly things on it like ostrich steaks or seared penguin.

Well, last night my dad, grammy and I went for dinner at the restaurant where I''ll host the reception and GUESS what was on the menu? OSTRICH! Of course I ran for my life.

Dinner was fab by the way.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm, I LOVE ostrich, I had it on Monday night.
18.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
lol. I think I''ve had ostrich before.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I knew people ate it - FI likes it but thinks its a bit dry, grammy''s had it and is not a fan - but I''d never actually seen it on a menu before! Maybe it is a CA thing? I just thought it was funny cause I''d just been joking about ''hey! maybe we could get the chef to make ostrich!'' and then there it was.

As you can guess, this makes me a little nervous.

2.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Fuddrucker''s has an ostrich burger on their menu, at least in Maryland. It''s pretty good. I usually get it because it''s leaner than beef!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 12:00:56 PM
Author: musey
Ostrich burgers are my fave!! It''s lots better than beef, in many ways, and tastes great! Here are nutritional comparisons for ostrich vs. other meats.

I''m surprised you hadn''t seen it before... I thought it was a common menu item! Maybe it''s a California thing.
3.gif
I''ve heard that you can eat ostrich but I''ve never known anyone to actually do it. Buffalo, yes. Ostrich, no. I think it could be a regional thing -- it doesn''t seem to be the type of thing commonly found in restaurants in New England.

lsyama

Shiny_Rock
I tried ostrich jerky and thought it was odd...
But I absolutely love buffalo burgers! (yay for Trader Joe''s!)

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t noticed any ostrich on the menu here in FL, but alot of places have gator.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2007 12:54:50 PM
Author: oshinbreez
I haven''t noticed any ostrich on the menu here in FL, but alot of places have gator.
LOL now THAT I have not thing--definitely a regional thing!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh, gator tastes like chicken. At least it did when I tried it years ago. I haven''t had it in YEARS though.
1.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Heh, I''ve tried emu AND gator, in the same restaurant no less. It was some random fancy place in western Maryland (I think). The emu tasted like beef, and the gator was kind of nasty. Definitely had an eau de swamp thing going on.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Gator is very greasy. I didn''t like it.

We almost always have buffalo burgers in the fridge though, and I just found a local bison farm that sells the BEST buffalo I''ve ever had, all organic and such.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ostrich is honestly one of my favorite meats. LOVE IT. Especially seared med-rare with a sweet/tart sauce. Mmm.

But then... there is the matter of your AV.

IMO you can't have ostrich OR buffalo cooked past med-rare. Dry. But cooked right. YUMMO.

There is a restuarant near my parent's house called the Blackhawke Grille that makes the BEST ostrich. Now of course, I'm craving it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results