shape
carat
color
clarity

Osama Bin Laden Dead

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't be happier that Osama bin Laden is off the chessboard and off it permanently. However, I have a hard time celebrating someone's death. How does anyone's death help me? In fact I was saddened that the allies of the US would go after a family residence of Muammar Qaddafi and celebrate killing his son and grandchildren today. Since when are people's homes viable targets in war? Since when are civilian children viable targets?

Deb
:read:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree, Deb.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lliang_chi|1304308710|2909724 said:
Cheers to the men and women in our services!!! This country cannot give you enough thanks. Especially on a night like this. Many thanks!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

Yes!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If I had a bottle of champagne I'd be popping the cork right now. I lived right across the river in Secaucus at the time of 9-11. I saw the smoke, lost neighbors, and my heart went out to the families of all those who were lost. I was not born in this country (Canada), but was lucky enough to be adopted by American parents. America is very much like a huge family. We may argue amongst ourselves, but God HELP you if you mess with one of us...the entire family will rally, and did in the wake of 9-11.

Tonight, I am very proud to be an American!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
princesss|1304309342|2909730 said:
I totally agree, Deb.

Ditto. I'm fine that he is gone as well. But I just find something unsettling that people are laughing, cheering and celebrating. I remember seeing the footage in the many areas of the middle east where people were celebrating 9/11 and just thought...wow, something is just so off about that. They must really hate us, because of their perception of the death we caused. I guess this is the same in reverse?

It's not that I don't understand why people are so thrilled about this, I do. But it's still sort of, well, as I said, unsettling. Like Princess, I think I have to sort out my reaction more....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1304310039|2909736 said:
I totally agree, Deb.

Ditto. I'm fine that he is gone as well. But I just find something unsettling that people are laughing, cheering and celebrating. I remember seeing the footage in the many areas of the middle east where people were celebrating 9/11 and just thought...wow, something is just so off about that. They must really hate us, because of their perception of the death we caused. I guess this is the same in reverse?

It's not that I don't understand why people are so thrilled about this, I do. But it's still sort of, well, as I said, unsettling. Like Princess, I think I have to sort out my reaction more....

Ditto. They showed footage of a crowd gathered outside the White House and young guys were chest bumping and cheering. YIKES.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1304310039|2909736 said:
I totally agree, Deb.

I think people are thrilled b/c the leader, mastermind and founder of Al Qaeda is DEAD. It's as if any other ruler or president was killed -- its impact on the constituents is profound.

While I grimace at the idea of celebrating someone's death, I am over the moon that the person in charge of Al Qaeda can no longer function in that role (just so happens to be by virtue of death.)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1304309420|2909731 said:
lliang_chi|1304308710|2909724 said:
Cheers to the men and women in our services!!! This country cannot give you enough thanks. Especially on a night like this. Many thanks!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

Yes!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Agreed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are cheering because America (and the world) won a major victory in the war on terrorism by killing a mastermind mass murderer of OUR innocent citizens and others around the world.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304311171|2909749 said:
They are cheering because America (and the world) won a major victory in the war on terrorism by killing a mastermind mass murderer of OUR innocent citizens and others around the world.

I get that diamondseeker. But I guess I could say your exact same sentence, delete the America and insert a different country to describe the sentiments of the people who cheered 9/11. They weren't cheering because they were awful people...but because they believed Americans were terrorists too who came to their shores FIRST. I know whose side I'm on...but all of it still makes me sad, nonetheless, and it's not anything I can succinctly put in words, I think. Not without getting political. ::)

ETA, I've had a long day and I'm tired and not reading well, so I can see I'd have to tweak the sentence a bit more to say what I mean about what I think a lot of those 9/11 cheerers thought, but I hope I'm not too unclear about what I'm trying to say...which is...what exactly? :confused: :rodent:

btw, I have had no alcohol tonight. Spent the entire day actively playing with the kid, so I guess that will do it!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
2,973 lives were lost on 9-11. Bin Laden was the mastermind behind those deaths. That is why so many people are celebrating his elimination.

Problem is, even though he's gone, there will be some other evil mastermind waiting to step up and take his place. The state department has already issued a warning to Americans traveling abroad to be on heightened alert for retaliation. So while we may be enjoying a sense of justice that Bin Laden is gone, I don't think this is going to be the end of it all.

Even though this was the results of a Navy SEALs operation, George Stephanopolis brought up a great question...he asked if we know if Bin Laden actually shot himself. I really hope the SEALs had that honor.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
It's really not all that political. A bad person is dead. The US happened to kill him. Wherein lies the politics?

Are you saying that we started it first and accordingly got what we asked for? I don't get it... :confused:

I'll concur in that you're not quite succinctly putting it into words -- I accept that.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I think that there's no right way to feel, and it's not my place to tell anyone else how they should or shouldn't feel about it. That said, I'm torn. It feels strange to celebrate someone's death. But I do celebrate the elimination of one of the foremost enemies of my country.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
megumic|1304311967|2909764 said:
It's really not all that political. A bad person is dead. The US happened to kill him. Wherein lies the politics?

Are you saying that we started it first and accordingly got what we asked for? I don't get it... :confused:

I'll concur in that you're not quite succinctly putting it into words -- I accept that.

I have a political argument I could make as well, but I'm also going to refrain. I will say that celebrating anyone's death just seems wrong to me. I also think it's strange to celebrate the execution of criminals in the U.S. I'm not saying I'm upset Osama Bin Laden is dead, but I'm certainly not going to cheer and chest bump anyone. I also thought it was disgusting that people wanted to see photos of Saddam Hussein's body or even watch his execution video.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Um...NO.

The cheering to me was just reminiscent of the people I saw cheering 9/11. I was horrified watching it and wondering why they could cheer like that for the deaths of thousands of innocent people. Then I just thought, they must have really thought that America was something, some place evil. They were just so happy and it made me SO sad that for whatever reason, they saw victory in 9/11. One of the lasting images for me was a boy who held up a picture of the Sears tower and said he hoped that he could fly into it himself someday.

As I said, I KNOW why Americans are cheering. I get it. He was evil and he's dead and it's a major victory. I just wonder what some people in other parts of the world must think when they see the cheering...because how the rest of the world perceives us is interesting to me. Again, I know what what side I'm on, but for me personally I can be glad of his riddance without chest thumping.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1304312607|2909770 said:
I will say that celebrating anyone's death just seems wrong to me. I also think it's strange to celebrate the execution of criminals in the U.S. I'm not saying I'm upset Osama Bin Laden is dead, but I'm certainly not going to cheer and chest bump anyone. I also thought it was disgusting that people wanted to see photos of Saddam Hussein's body or even watch his execution video.

Yes, these are my issues. But these are the issues I have with capital punishment, too, and I wasn't trying to start a politcal discussion. I just didn't feel comfortable letting others say they were "celebrating" while I sat by in complicit silence. I'm of the John Donne school in which, "every man's death diminshes me". I believe in the Quaker "inner light" within all men, although, as my father says, the light within a certain individual sometimes seems very dim!!! But I threw myself into the eBay auction for America after 9/11 and helped to raise a lot of money by selling tiny jewelled American flag pins, the proceeds of which went to the families of firefighters and policemen who had perished. I wrapped them in red, white and blue tissue paper and and put flag stickers on the tissue and made sure that the buyers got their money's worth for the auction! I also bought American flag socks and an umbrella and beaded earrings and all sorts of other things at fantastically high prices. eBay was my post 9/11 home and to help me try to help my community and it was also my therapy!!!

Deb
:read:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
It's interesting, because the majority of people who have posted about this (from my FB friends list) are in the cheering/happy crowd, with a few expressing the feelings TGal, Deb, and Thing have (but a minority - not that FB status updates are a great statistical sampling, but you know what I mean). Here, it seems to be the reverse.

Anyway, I'm happy. No apologies for that - there are many out there who are better people than I, who are uncomfortable about celebrating a death. For me, I'm perfectly fine celebrating some deaths ... like those of evil people. Bin Laden qualifies in my book, so while I'm not chest bumping anyone, I'm also fine with admitting that I don't feel guilty about being happy he's dead. To each his own right?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1304306363|2909690 said:
jstarfireb|1304306195|2909688 said:
I won't believe it until I see the long-form death certificate.

...Just kidding! This is great news for the war on terror, but I'm also concerned about retaliation. Hopefully it won't happen.

Here's the live stream of the President's statement when it comes on: http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/president-obama-delivers-statement

SNORT. I'm hoping President Obama gives his statement in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner.
he will do it tomorrow.. :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1304312607|2909770 said:

I have a political argument I could make as well, but I'm also going to refrain. I will say that celebrating anyone's death just seems wrong to me. I also think it's strange to celebrate the execution of criminals in the U.S. I'm not saying I'm upset Osama Bin Laden is dead, but I'm certainly not going to cheer and chest bump anyone. I also thought it was disgusting that people wanted to see photos of Saddam Hussein's body or even watch his execution video.

what are we suppose to do after we found Bin Laden,invite him to the WH for dinner?.. :confused:

i am not a supporter of Obama's political policies,but in this case ... :appl: :appl:

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
No wonder it took so long...they were looking for 'Osama'

289246785-8cfb9f190f34e36a4993719bcfa68519_4dbe7290-scaled.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. I fell asleep really early last night and woke up to this. I'm glad he's not around anymore and I feel relief. I'm too tired at the moment to feel anything else, but that will happen later, I'm sure.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
It's great to hear that he is dead, but as an outsider, I find the images of people cheering out the front of the White House a little disturbing.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just woke up to this. Wow. The world sure goes on after I hit the sack, doesn't it? ;)) :-o

How do I feel? Not that it matters how I feel about it, but I guess it would be grimly approving. I see it as a psychological blow to terrorists more than something that makes me or the world safer. Hate is a hydra IMO - chop off one head and two more grow back. From what I've read in recent years, bin Laden wasn't really directing things much anyway, and had pretty much been kicked upstairs as a figurehead more than a planner.

I'm with the others who see overt celebration of death as unseemly. If we felt sickened and condemned the Islamic world for public euphoria over the deaths of our people, we should refrain from doing so ourselves, no matter how richly he deserved it. We should hold ourselves to the same standards we apply to others to lessen the accusations of hypocrisy on our part.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1304313514|2909775 said:
I'm of the John Donne school in which, "every man's death diminshes me". I believe in the Quaker "inner light" within all men, although, as my father says, the light within a certain individual sometimes seems very dim!!!

They showed footage of a crowd gathered outside the White House and young guys were chest bumping and cheering. YIKES.

However, I have a hard time celebrating someone's death. How does anyone's death help me? In fact I was saddened that the allies of the US would go after a family residence of Muammar Qaddafi and celebrate killing his son and grandchildren today. Since when are people's homes viable targets in war? Since when are civilian children viable targets?

All very PC & warm & fuzzy. Remember, UBL, Qaddafi & their brethren are proud of killing as many innocent people as possible. THIS someone's death helps you in that he will not be behind killing YOU, leaving your kids w/out a parent; behind killing THEM or their children. One UBL henchman hid behind a helpless woman in this raid, using her as a shield. How symbolic.

Look at the vids on Youtube of fathers, mothers, regular folks expecting a normal workday, hurtling 100 stories to bloody deaths rather than suffer incineration alive. Put yourself in a seat on any 9/11 plane, knowing the fiery end you'll experience in a few seconds (each second seeming like eternity) as you mourn for those you're leaving. See the video of Daniel Pearl's head being slowly sawed off, which they proudly circulated, photos of mothers at markets in Israel, blown to gory pieces on a sunny weekday.

Real life is messy. It's ugly a lot of times. Humans are ugly often. Moral relativity is BUNK -- there are universal rights & wrongs. I also believe in an inner light in people -- but these chose to extinguish it in themselves -- and in thousands they never met, using them as tools. As things. I'm glad UBL is dead and I don't care who died with him -- anyone around him shares his hatred. Too bad about Qaddafi's grandchildren -- but he KNEW he was a hunted man & put them in danger by coming to their house -- would YOU do that in the situation?

The partying is over the top -- but as I said, humans are often ugly & messy. And real life ain't no tea party.

--- Laurie

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Today I pray for those who lost their lives on 9/11, those who sacrificed their lives to keep us safe, and the loved ones they left behind. I hope they know that there are millions+ who are thinking of them, especially today knowing that the vile being who had the power to brainwash others into accepting his hateful beliefs and carrying out his vile wishes can no longer influence others.

Even though there may be possibilities of retaliation, I believe that Osama's death symbolizes the victory of good over evil and we celebrate that perhaps we can live our lives feeling hopefully just a bit safer today than we did since that horrific day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B.E.G.|1304313700|2909777 said:
Anyway, I'm happy. No apologies for that - there are many out there who are better people than I, who are uncomfortable about celebrating a death. For me, I'm perfectly fine celebrating some deaths ... like those of evil people. Bin Laden qualifies in my book, so while I'm not chest bumping anyone, I'm also fine with admitting that I don't feel guilty about being happy he's dead. To each his own right?

I agree. I am happy he is dead and I make no apologies about that. I was right there during 9/11 and I will never forget that day and all the ensuing weeks of horror, sadness and loss. Bin Laden was pure evil. There was no inner light. At all.

'm of the John Donne school in which, "every man's death diminshes me". I believe in the Quaker "inner light" within all men

Just like Hitler who was pure evil. No inner light there either and I believe that the only way to deal with pure evil is to destroy it.
The death of Hitler and Bin Laden (and some others) certainly does not diminish me. No- it makes the world a better place. IMO.

Of course I do not believe we should be cheering in the streets and jumping up and down with joy but I am doing so in my heart because this has been a long time in coming. I am surprised and disappointed that some here could even compare this with others celebrating the death of the innocent American men, women and children of 9/11. :((

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
hawaiianorangetree|1304334245|2909847 said:
It's great to hear that he is dead, but as an outsider, I find the images of people cheering out the front of the White House a little disturbing.

I agree. I'm delighted that he's dead but the images of people celebrating bring back the same images that TGal has of the people celebrating when 9/11 occurred. It does disturb me to see it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304336114|2909860 said:
AGBF|1304313514|2909775 said:
I'm of the John Donne school in which, "every man's death diminshes me". I believe in the Quaker "inner light" within all men, although, as my father says, the light within a certain individual sometimes seems very dim!!!

They showed footage of a crowd gathered outside the White House and young guys were chest bumping and cheering. YIKES.

However, I have a hard time celebrating someone's death. How does anyone's death help me? In fact I was saddened that the allies of the US would go after a family residence of Muammar Qaddafi and celebrate killing his son and grandchildren today. Since when are people's homes viable targets in war? Since when are civilian children viable targets?

All very PC & warm & fuzzy. Remember, UBL, Qaddafi & their brethren are proud of killing as many innocent people as possible. THIS someone's death helps you in that he will not be behind killing YOU, leaving your kids w/out a parent; behind killing THEM or their children. One UBL henchman hid behind a helpless woman in this raid, using her as a shield. How symbolic.

Look at the vids on Youtube of fathers, mothers, regular folks expecting a normal workday, hurtling 100 stories to bloody deaths rather than suffer incineration alive. Put yourself in a seat on any 9/11 plane, knowing the fiery end you'll experience in a few seconds (each second seeming like eternity) as you mourn for those you're leaving. See the video of Daniel Pearl's head being slowly sawed off, which they proudly circulated, photos of mothers at markets in Israel, blown to gory pieces on a sunny weekday.

Real life is messy. It's ugly a lot of times. Humans are ugly often. Moral relativity is BUNK -- there are universal rights & wrongs. I also believe in an inner light in people -- but these chose to extinguish it in themselves -- and in thousands they never met, using them as tools. As things. I'm glad UBL is dead and I don't care who died with him -- anyone around him shares his hatred. Too bad about Qaddafi's grandchildren -- but he KNEW he was a hunted man & put them in danger by coming to their house -- would YOU do that in the situation?

The partying is over the top -- but as I said, humans are often ugly & messy. And real life ain't no tea party.

--- Laurie

Laurie, as often is the case I find myself reading your posts and totally agreeing. You succinctly explained just how I am feeling at the moment in a much clearer way than I ever could. Thank you.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
OK. I understand people wanting to punish him for what he did. By why is killing him better than just having him tried at the International Court in the Hague? This is too much like the execution of Saddam to me.

Also, I wonder if American PSers would be so quick to cheer if his crimes had not been perpetrated against the US...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results