shape
carat
color
clarity

Original ering - sell or keep; financial question

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. I was curious people's take on what's the best financial decision in terms of what to do with the original ering if it is not worn very often after the upgrade? With the assumptions that the money is not needed to fund the upgrade or anything else of need... just purely what is better investment wise.

For the number lovers, if the ring costed $15K, does it make more sense to sell it and get back optimistically 50/60/70% of the cost back and take that money and invest it? Or do you just keep the ring in tact until 50 years later and then sell it, hoping that the diamond has appreciated more that way? This feels like a net present value concept that a finance lover would enjoy. : ) Just curious what makes more sense, plus there is the emotional/sentiment side about keeping the ring long term and wearing it now and then.

Thanks in advance!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
Would resetting it into a necklace or bracelet be an option? What about trading it for some sort of right hand ring or eternity band?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a bling lover: use the original stone for something else, stud, pendant... And sell the setting if not emotionally tied to it. Or keep the setting for a future stone. I made a stud out of my original, which was a 1.11 carat F. Bought a matching from WF. Now I wear my studs everyday, sleep in them etc. From a financial standpoint, I would not go spend $20k on a pair of studs so this would be my only way of getting a pair of 2.3 ctw studs. I guess my priority is how to get more bling at an affordable price.

I try to maximize "net present bling enjoyment". :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have children? If so, I'd maybe save it for them. If not, is there another project you could use the center stone in?

Is the diamond GIA graded? If so, you can tell use the specs and I will look up comps for you, and then we could estimate what you might get for it.

P

PierreBear

haha.. net present bling enjoyment.. if there was more jewelry analogies during school then perhaps it would have been easier! Thank you all for the thoughts. I do wear necklaces and earrings but more fun/casual things that I pick up at Madewell or Jcrew. I prefer to keep fine jewelry for rings as of right now but don't hold me to it! No children and it was on my mind what to do with it but I was the one who posted that thread what to do with your jewelry if you didn't have daughters/daughters in law. Still not sure what I'll do with it down the line if I start accumulated some pieces.

The current stone is GIA certified. It's pre pricescope so from I understand, it's not ideal cut and is on the deep side and faces smaller.
Measurements 7.22 - 7.26 x 4.63 mm
Carat Weight 1.51 carat
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade SI2
Cut Grade Very Good
Then there are tons of proportion numbers that I'm not familiar with.

Well the full story is that my 5 stone anniversary band came in. It's my first custom project with pricescope's help and I was teetering between 0.3, 0.35, and 0.4 cts. I partly didn't want to make the mistake of going too small with DSS and I wasn't perfectly confident the vendor could get that look I was picturing and well, so I hedged my bet on the 0.4 cts. :shifty: It does blow me away but I might have been more comfortable with the 0.3 cts in hindsight. Or maybe I'll get used to it and learn to be more bold/confident. So with it being such a statement ring so I'm already wondering if some days I shouldn't wear it (even on separate hands) with my engagement ring. I have plans to do an upgrade in the future so if I'm already not wearing the engagement as much as before, I'm just wondering what makes most financial sense. I appreciate the guidance!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Carat Weight 1.51 carat
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade SI2
Cut Grade Very Good
Then there are tons of proportion numbers that I'm not familiar with.

I sold something similar when my mom needed money to go into a nursing home, and I hate to tell you I was not offered even slightly close to $15,000 and hers was well cut.

But like diamond seeker said, if you have children and money is not scarce I would save it for them.

I wish I could have done the same with my mom's ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot you were the one who posted the other thread. I looked up comps for your diamond, and honestly, there was a huge range. I would guess than some are eyeclean and some or not, and that affects pricing. But most of the very good cut stones with your size and specs ranged from $6500-10,000. Then when you sell, you would get a percentage of that. Settings don't add much value most of the time. So really, you'd be better off making a pendant or something out of this diamond rather than taking a huge loss. But if you aren't going to wear it, then you may as well sell it.

I hope you will post pics of the new band! I wouldn't wear an e-ring with a band of 40 pointers, either. That really is a standalone ring.

P

PierreBear

Thanks for looking up the comps and sharing your knowledge. When comparing my engagement diamond to the ideal cut five stone I can see a minor difference I think mostly in the brilliance department in addition to it facing a bit smaller than it should. It is hard to swallow a loss like that but not sure what holding onto it for 30 years and wearing it a handful of times a year is any better.

Attached is a preview of the five stone band. I am not supposed to wear it until anniversary day but couldn't resist a quick photo. Would it be gaudy to wear the engagement on the left and this as a rhr? Standalone ring per hand or for both? I welcome the honesty!

20160725_070415.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider submitting the stone for recut analysis by BGD.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider submitting the stone for recut analysis by BGD.

P

PierreBear

I don't mind sharing the GIA number if that is an appropriate thing to do on a forum but wasn't sure if it's something that I should disclose. The stone is eye clean but has a light feather somewhere that my eye can't see.
Depth 64%
Table 58%
Crown Angle 35.5 degrees
Crown Height 15%
Pavilion Angle 41.8 degrees
Pavilion Depth 44.5%
Star Length 45%
Lower Half 80%
Girdle Slight thick to Thick, facted 4.5%
Culet None

Any other thoughts on stone just for learning purposes?
I appreciate the idea to recut but I personally don't think I'll go that route. I'm not dissatisfied with the stone/diamond. It's more the nature of a larger collection with fewer opportunities to wear them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are going to take such a huge loss that it is better to hold on to it, possibly re-purpose it for a pendant or something else.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your 5 stone looks amazing! :appl:

Q

Queenie60

PierreBear - I would suggest that you have a pendant made out of the original ering stone. A simple solitaire pendant is very nice to have and is something you can wear daily. Just my suggestion! Your new ring is beautiful! Congratulations. :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1469635825|4059841 said:
PierreBear - I would suggest that you have a pendant made out of the original ering stone. A simple solitaire pendant is very nice to have and is something you can wear daily. Just my suggestion! Your new ring is beautiful! Congratulations. :wavey:

I am going to Quote what Queenie said. I would have said the exact same things.

I love your 5 stone ring. It is fabulous!

Marcy

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do nothing for now. Keep your e-ring intact for a few months as you get used to wearing your 5-stone ring. Sees if there are times when you want to wear your original e-ring instead of that beautiful 5-stone. Experiment with wearing your e-ring as a right hand ring. Consider what your next step might be a few months from now, if you find that your original ring never or rarely sees the light of day.

P

PierreBear

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I'm really loving the 5 stone band and appreciate the comments.

I did look through the pendant thread and there are some wonderful pieces there. Diamondseeker - yours really stood out to me! I would do the same look if I were to convert my ring.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
img_6990.jpg

My mom hated her first set she received in 1989 but kept it in a safety deposit box after she upgraded.

My fiancé had the center stone reset and proposed to me and WOW...

4r1g5hk.jpg

If you can afford to keep it and don't absolutely need the money, keep it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results