shape
carat
color
clarity

Organic food...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 3:34:51 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 1/13/2009 3:04:01 PM
Author: cara

Random side note, I was in Argentina recently, exhaustively and fruitlessly searching for peanut butter to make PB&J sanwiches for hiking lunches, but apparently it is an American item. Or at least not an Argentine item. My hubby was just as happy with dulche le leche, but I am not that big a sweet tooth sadly.

Yeah, it''s hard to find in a lot of places. When I was living in Italy I used to have my mother send me jars in the mail!
How funny! My mom did the same thing when I was living in Spain. When I went back to my Spanish family for the summer a few years later, I carted a couple vats of peanut butter for the little boy in my suitcase (pre-weight restrictions--those were the days).

1895femme

Rough_Rock
Coming out of lurkdom...

We eat organic whenever possible. We taste a significant difference in eggs! It is expensive, but we think it is worth it since we have heard that chemicals used for farming, processed food, etc. can lead to health problems.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
LOL - I spent a good week in Italy going to every grocery store in Florence because a friend was craving PB. We finally found a TINY jar of Skippy in this hole-in-the-wall tiny place. And the whole time I was thinking, "dude, eat Nutella!!"

Back to the organics...I buy organic in the summer almost exclusively b/c of our farmer's market. Right now I'm buying whatever foods look good, which means mostly not organic. Some things that I find it much easier to splurge on are tomatoes and free-range eggs. I try to do organic meat but OMG it's expensive and I really can't justify it in our grocery bill. If I were a better person, I'd make the effort to still buy it at the indoor farmer's market, but it's sooo cold out on Saturday mornings!

A friend of mine sent me a link one time but I can't find it - about the foods you should buy organic and the ones that you can skip purchasing and be fine. Here's a similar link : http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Save-on-Sustainable-Gallery-44032808

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
For me and DH it is a must that we have organic coffee, milk, eggs, fruits and veggies and anything that has an organic option at the conventional grocery store like chips, mac and cheese, salad dressing etc... When we can, we drive out to whole foods and get a lot of meat to stock up on. I shop a lot at trader joes and support local farmers in the summers. This is something near and dear to me for about 7 years now after I read a book that changed my life and perspective on health. It feels good to be bettering the environment and my body and now my husband is on board too
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We try for organic produce whenever possible, within budgetary limitations. I''m especially careful with thin-skinned produce.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. This thread has helped me. I couldn''t bring myself to pay $10 a lb on organic chicken though. I bought perdue''s "natural." Hopefully that is better than the regular. I also bought organic skim for us (usually just buy the organic whole for baby) and her organic string cheese. I am going to keep the "top ten" list in mind when I do my food shopping.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$10/lb on breasts, right? If you are committed to organic chicken, you will probably find that you will eat a lot of things other than chicken. (although, a whole chicken is usually about $2/lb.)

Expensive meat forces you to eat more veggies and learn to be a better cook. The result of cheap meat and the American agri-industry: lots people who don't know how to do anything other than meat and potatoes. And then we wonder why there's the country is unhealthy and obese.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oh! On this topic - I was listening to NPR in the last couple of days and there was a story about how chicken is much, much higher in fat than it was 30 years ago because chickens are getting less exercise and eating too much grain and by product (just like humans!). Interrrrresting.

ETA: Um...wait, this might have been on Rachel Ray. Regardless....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
But I LIKE chicken!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results