shape
carat
color
clarity

ORC cuts

seth69

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

I would like to understand how can we identify an OEC diamond with good light return?
I look at the information found in the gia or ags certs and it don't look fantastic but does that mean the performance is no good? The pictures look great though.

Are the diamonds from JBG or LAD generally good? How would their diamonds compare against an ideal cut MRB?

I observe that most OECs are in the lower colour range is that common?

Thanks for your wisdom.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way to verify the light return performance of old cut stones is to see them in person or look at the ASET images. LAD and JBG have some very nice stone and average looking old cut stones so you still have to do your homework.

Old cut stones are so different from MRBs that they are not comparable. The former has bigger and slower flashes whilst the latter has smaller quicker flashes. If you like lots of fire and pastel colours, then OECs might be a good fit. If you want crazy flashy sparkles, then MRBs might be a good fit. It is like asking whether vanilla is better than chocolate - they are just too different.

Many higher coloured OECs have been recut into MRBs years ago when there was almost no market for old cut stones, hence there are now more lower coloured OECs today.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree that they are two totally different looks. But if you are in the market, Erica and Grace do select nice stones, so their sites are good places to look.

queradas

Rough_Rock
seth69|1455186486|3989679 said:
Hi everyone

I would like to understand how can we identify an OEC diamond with good light return?
I look at the information found in the gia or ags certs and it don't look fantastic but does that mean the performance is no good? The pictures look great though.

Are the diamonds from JBG or LAD generally good? How would their diamonds compare against an ideal cut MRB?

I observe that most OECs are in the lower colour range is that common?

Thanks for your wisdom.

ORC = Original Radiant Cut
OEC = Old European Cut

Your title typo aside. There is no way you can look at the grading report (unless it is an AGSL Platinum Report) which most OECs are not graded with, and know about the stone's brightness. Nothing on the grading report will help you do this.

An ASET image only tells you what it looks like in the faceup view not in motion, useful, but not the whole story, plus few antique OEC vendors will ever provide such information to you. Usually buyers of OECs don't prioritize "light performance" when they choose this cut, because if they did they would most likely buy an MRB instead because it will be "brighter" in 'modern' lighting environments.

You are comparing apples(MRB) to oranges(Antique Cuts) and you would really have to do the comparison in person in your lighting to know which one you like best. Video might help you as well but few vendors have good video setups, except the ones who have invested in a setup to sell newly cut vintage faceted stones which are a whole other discussion.

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
You may also want to check out old world diamonds. Adam is great and they have an enormous number of options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results