shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

urbanite

Rough_Rock
What do you all think about these two:

from superbcert: 2.14 J VS1
and good old gold 2.11 I VS1

http://www.superbcert.com/
then 1.0 ct and up page 7 #1152

http://www.goodoldgold.com/new_page_4.htm

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful comments

AnnaMagdalena

Rough_Rock
Both will be terrific stones.
-size difference will be undetectable to the eye I think
-they have similarly good B-scope ratings
-is that a significant price diff. to you?
-Color: it seems like for some people, the difference between I and J is make or break. I mean, I have read that the J color bothers some people, while I color seems to be less often an issue. How important is color to you, and are you sensitive to it? (I have a J and love it.)

You have chosen two of the most highly regarded vendors to look at, so you practically can't go wrong!

Get both, what the heck
9.gif

urbanite

Rough_Rock
Thanks Anna and belated congratulations
appl.gif

Indeed color is not an issue;
I just find comfort in hearing what others on the forum think.
It is after all, a big decision.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I feel more comfortable with an I than a J, but someone got a J superbcert recently and the pictures of it looked white! Plus Barry often says his SC's look whiter since they are well cut, and that he has set J's in plat with no problem before.

If all else is comparable, the two vendors are both of high quality, it may just come down to pricing differences and what you feel best with on the color. Also SC are superideal branded stones while GOG's are normally not. Don't know if that makes a difference at all--to some people it might.

You won't see a visual eye difference, they both should look really big!
1.gif

Congrats and let us know what you choose.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Both are very reputable vendors. Can't miss there. Both diamonds look great, although the GOG diamond seems to be a tad cleaner VS, from looking at the Cert. plots. Barry is right about J facing up very well in white gold or platinum. CUT really does make a difference.

I compared a H and a J A Cut Above from White Flash in .77 and .85 carat. I was looking at setting in white gold/platinum. The J was on the high end of the color range, almost low I. The J had slightly more "body" than the H. Not a negative comment, like yellowish or brownish tinge. Just more "body".

If you live where you have a PS approved appraiser that both would ship directly to, you could go view them side by side. If not, looking strictly from a resale point of view (you never know what the future holds), I'd go higher in color and buy the I diamond.

(Comment regarding the future: If you had told me 25 years ago, that I would own houses in 4 different states, I'd have said you were crazy.)

Just my $0.02 worth.
9.gif

urbanite

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara.

I actually had the good fortune to meet Jonathan, and see the I VS1.
Indeed cut makes an impact on how a stone faces up.

In fact, he also has a 2.4 K VVS2 that looks wonderful from above.
The colors are best noticed by viewing the diamonds against a white
background, and viewing them from the side.

Real life lighting is more diffuse and colored itself, impressions
are quite subjective.

So why did the 2.4 K VVS not make the list?
The lightscope image on the 2.11 I VS1 was sheer perfection.
(so too the superbcert)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm if you have seen the 'I' in person, I would be tempted to go for that one because there will be no surprises. Though a SuperbCert sounds nice too. Splitting hairs. What feels better to you?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If you're not sure which one to pick and want to know which stone is really better, have an expert help you.

These are not inexpensive diamonds, and making a decision without ALL the information from an independent, unbiased expert is the best way to nake an informed decision.

Rockdoc

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this is a tough one. I'd prefer the I stone personally, but I'm not sure that the one color grade is worth a difference of nearly $3k.

Both stones rate almost identical on the HCA (the I is a 1.3, the J a 1.2), and the B/scope readings are almost identical as well, with the I stone just sliiiiiiiiightly edging out the J.

But geez, $3k is a huge difference in price for not much difference in stone.

You may determine that you're OK with the extra $3k because of the service/treatment you received in mtg Jonathan. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but glowing things about Barry's service, too.

Either way, you'll get a gorgeous, excellently cut stone. It really is your call on this one. If you still can't decide, see if there is an appraiser that both will ship to without payment up front....in this way, you can view them side-by-side and pick the one that speaks to you more.

Good luck on a tough choice!

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
That is a tough one .... I know this is not much help, but personally I would drop cut by one to 1A AGA, drop clarity by one to vs2, keep carat at 2.1-2.15 and raise colour by 2 or 3 to a G and stick with GIA....

Personal prefs are what makes this soooo much fun ! I am truly beginning to believe that I need to start a second career ... nah....
9.gif

urbanite

Rough_Rock
Thanks PQ, Mara, RockDoc & aljdewey,

I didn't want to taint the discussion by disclosing my preferences, but aljdewey hit on my dilemma:

is the extra 3k for an I worth it? So to answer your question Mara, I really don't know.

PQ, RockDoc & aljdewey bring up that I should bring them in to an appraiser for a side by side. In fact I have an appraiser in mind here in CT but it did not occur to me to bring them both in. What an excellent suggestion.

RockDoc, I checked out your site - very high tech perhaps your online persona should be 007

Cheers,
Urbanite

jlim

Shiny_Rock
urbanite - yes, for working people like me, $3000 is a lot of money. But also look at the percentage. It is about 30% difference in price.

Though the diamonds I'm looking at is not anywhere near your price range, but I'm looking at about a 20% price premium for a better spec. diamond on paper.

It is harder to decide when the price goes higher.

$1 or $1.20
$10 or $12.00
$100 or $120.00
$1000 or $1200.00
$10000 or $12000.00

All are the same 20% percentage. Which do you choose?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
$3k is alot of money, regardless of how you cut it or slice it. It may not be worth the extra funds to you. Personally, just looking at the funds, I would not spend an extra $3k on just a clarity and color grade. Are these the only two stones that you found in your price range that are to your liking? Why not wait to see if Jonathan or SC gets in something that is more of a H SI1 eye-clean 2ctw? I know that we don't like to wait for these types of things, when you are ready you are READY...but in this case when it comes down to an I or J and non-eye clean vs eye clean...for a healthy budget...I would wait and keep looking. I know my story may have changed a little but to be honest, before I didn't look at the pricing on the stones...I just checked out their specs. So knowing that the difference is $3k (thats alot even if you are looking at $14-17k!)...I'd pass on both and find something more in the 'middle' of the road with an excellent cut for same price.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ran a quick search and found this stone. Don't know if you saw this and passed it up for a reason, but it is a WhiteFlash A Cut Above SuperIdeal H&A stone, 2.06 I VS2 with IdealScope Image, picture of the stone, H&A Images, Cert, etc. The price is $15400. Seems like it's in between the J and the I you are considering now, it's a SuperIdeal, it's an I VS2...I dunno, this could be a serious contender in my eyes.

Thoughts?

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=465179

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gosh, Urbanite. I didn't even pay attention to the prices either. $3K is a chunck of change. Like the HONEYMOON chunk! LOL
6.gif
Kah Ching!

Mara always finds the nicest diamonds to compare with!
2.gif
ACA's are veeerrry nice diamonds and White Flash is great to work with as well.
wacko.gif

Shipping to an Approved Independent Appraiser has another advantage besides side by side comparison. If you spend the extra bucks to go I, there will always be that question in the back of your mind,.... "Would the J have worked?" If you have them in front of you to view in all kinds of lighting, against the metal you plan to mount in, or even a mock setting, you'll know for sure you made the right choice.

Or, you can always wait a tad longer, like Mara suggested, for other diamonds to become available. I know if I had jumped on the one I found and liked, I would have missed the one I bought just 2 weeks later.

This sure is a toughy!
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results