shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marcc

Rough_Rock
Looking at a princess cut loose diamond and a platinum setting:

Diamond:
color: E
clarity: vs1
carat: 1.02
cut: not sure, GIA certified , should the certificate have a rating?

Setting:

Scott Kay - the setting is like the 5g one in the attached url
http://weddingband.com/scottkaybro5.html

Shopping at a local jewler, negotiating price, currently he's at $7500, I've offered $6500 - good price?

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Does the $7500 dollars include both the setting
and the diamond?

Kirk

marcc

Rough_Rock
Yes, the $7500 includes the diamond and the setting.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Marcc,

The next step if possible is to
provide us with the cert info,
and any other relevant information
pertaining to this diamond.
Such as, crown angle, pavilion angle
table, depth and so forth.

Basically here at pricescope,
we are a bunch of cut geeks that try to
help consumers find the best possible diamond
cut for their money in order to make
sure that you find a
really beautiful diamond.

Buy Informed!

Kirk

marcc

Rough_Rock
Ok, more specs:

color: E
carat: 1.02
clarity: vs2

5.7x5.26x4.05
Depth: 77
Table: 72
Girdle: med to thick
polish: Very Good
Sym: Good
Flor: none

Thanks

marcc

Rough_Rock
x

marcc

Rough_Rock
any other thoughts? Thanks!

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
Many people on the forum are reluctant to give advice out on fancy shaped diamonds because 1)Round diamonds are bought more often, so that's what pricescope consumers know about 2)The numerical stats on fancy cut diamonds are often not a good indicator as to how well the stone looks.

Most people would reccommend that you take the diamond to an expert to get it checked out. Read the tutorial on this forum, and be sure to check out the AGA cut chart for princess cut diamonds. You can also check out the price stats to see if the price you were quoted seems inline with other vendors.

Hope this is helpful!

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Marcc,
When it comes to Princess cuts the CUT is also very important!
In this case the stone you have chosen is a bit too deep , therefore the price you are offering is VERY generous! The stone will look smaller than 1 carat it can have a good brilliance depending on the faceting style, however the E will get lost in the depth and it will most likely look like G when set this is not a problem, but the over all appearance is not the best for the money!
If I may help you to find a nice stone I would be more than happy to choose a couple from this site and point them out to you In my opinion you should not be spending more than $6000 on superbly cut E-F/VS1-2 and that should include the platinum setting.

Very nice pricess cut should be square with depth around 70% this will gives you the same light reflection as premium cut diamonds. I would like to see the measurements more like 5.73X 5.68x 3.93 depth 69.4%!
Also very important is that the modern princess cut faceting diagram adopted from the famous russian cutting styles and produced now by the israel cutting houses is what you need to ask for! The brilliance is superb and way better than the old stye princess! Better yet, If you can get an original Russian cut diamond,... Nobody in the world cuts better princess cuts than the russians!

Best
George
GLE Gem Imports
[email protected]

marcc

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much to all that have replied!

George, thanks for your input, if you could point out a few on this website, I would appreciate it. Thanks! Also, if you could explain a little more about the measurements, that would be helpful.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Marcc,

showing what the AGA-CERT cut criteria is for princess cuts (and other fancies). AGA being one of the few respected organizations that have tried to establish cut grading for fancies, you may want to check it out for some more perspective on the issue.

-Tim[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results