shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Please - this G-SI1 from Goldenet? EGL grading

ladyleonine

Rough_Rock
Hi there, shopping for an engagement ring and came across Goldenet.com.au (I'm in Australia)
Has anyone dealt with them or have any opinions/ experiences to share?

We are looking for a round brilliant Ideal/ H&A cut, G-H colour, VS-SI clarity which is clear, white, eye clean and SPARKLY :D
It will be set in platinum. Our budget is around $5500 all up, assuming the setting will cost around $1200 that leaves $4300 for the stone so while a full carat would be nice, realistically we're probably looking at around 0.8 instead.

I know that EGL grading has a bad reputation, but what are your opinions of this stone:

http://www.goldenet.com.au/0.92-carat-round-brilliant-diamond-td536-471.html#ctl00DiamondDetail1WebPanelDiamondCert_header

To be honest if the EGL grading is off and it's really a H SI2, that would still be OK for us as long as it's eye-clean, white and sparkly. I'm assuming the blue fluorescence would whiten it a little, but worried it might make it look milky...?

thanks for any advice!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
slight blue fluor will not be noticeable. I would stick with GIA or AGS for reliable grading.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1319256974|3045274 said:
slight blue fluor will not be noticeable. I would stick with GIA or AGS for reliable grading.

yes. I would expect the grading to be off by 2 grades in each category- and then determine if the pricing is inline...

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
Amys Bling|1319295955|3045410 said:
slg47|1319256974|3045274 said:

yes. I would expect the grading to be off by 2 grades in each category- and then determine if the pricing is inline...

Two grades is too much. According to the report it is SI1, so more probably it will be lower end SI2 (not uncommon even in GIA), but not I1. The color probably would be lower H or I. So not an awful stone I suppose.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think the problem with EGL is that there is no 'formula' such as 2 grades lower, etc...it is just inconsistent.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results