color
clarity

Opinions on this vintage Marquise

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of those shots are from far away and I cant find it in her regular line up on her website. I would like to see it up close.
It does look like a lovely stone with decent light return (for a marquise) but it didnt look all that old to me because all I could
see from a distance was a very small culet. (I could be wrong because the photos are so far away). If you are really wanting
an "old one" I would hold out. If vintage is good enough then this one does look nice but I have to hold my opinion until I see
some up close photos.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Tyty, thanks for the feedback! I think there were only 2 pics that are really close and none of the videos to get a good idea of how the facets turn on and off. It makes me appreciate the up close video from JA a lot! I really am in no rush so if I purchase anything I really want to make sure it is the right stone. I was a bit concerned that the little clusters of clouds/crystals at the apex may be obstructing. The stone seems like a nice color and size but again, I have no experience with vintage Marquise. Does the size of the culet reflect the age of the stone?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilysweet|1474907886|4080903 said:
Tyty, thanks for the feedback! I think there were only 2 pics that are really close and none of the videos to get a good idea of how the facets turn on and off. It makes me appreciate the up close video from JA a lot! I really am in no rush so if I purchase anything I really want to make sure it is the right stone. I was a bit concerned that the little clusters of clouds/crystals at the apex may be obstructing. The stone seems like a nice color and size but again, I have no experience with vintage Marquise. Does the size of the culet reflect the age of the stone?

No the size of the culet does not reflect the age...just more of whether it has one or not and since the shots are so far away I cant
really see that it has one. I think if it was a big culet I would be able to see it so if it has one it must be a small one (that I can not
see).

AND...never mind the above because some how I missed the big shots on the smug website. I can see now that it has a small
culet which makes it vintage.

Marquise do not usually have good light return at their points so I dont think those small inclusions will affect the light return.
I didnt even notice them in the smaller pictures that I looked at the first time. You would have to ask LAD if it is eye-clean
(my *guess is that it would be).

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Again tyty, thanks so much! I am hoping others will take a look and weigh in also.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lilysweet!

Is the stone for a ring or something else? I think this is a lovely stone, although personally I prefer the faceting on antique marquises and (this is entirely subjective) I prefer marquises to be a bit 'chubbier'. I cannot find the price for the stone you have on hold so I'm not sure if this is comparable but have you seen these at JbG?

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-36ct-antique-moval-cut-diamond-gia-h-vvs2#.V-nU-jvYklY

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-59ct-antique-marquise-cut-diamond-gia-f-vs2#.V-nVlDvYklY

:wavey:

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi Fulvia, thanks for the links! The f is really pretty but waaaaaaay above budget and the moral looks like it has a bow tie. Does it or am I looking at it incorrectly? Also, does the f have a bit of a bow tie also? I am a total newbie so please correct me if I am wrong. I am bummed! I think the h Marquise from Grace sold. Congrats to its new owner! It is lovely!!!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lilysweet,

The bowtie on the F is definitely just the black from the camera (it says as much in the description). I assumed the same for the moval as well - Grace handpicks all her stones very carefully but do shoot her an email to double check. I love love the faceting on the stone - it's so charming!!!!!

I am waiting on my own antique MQ (coming SO SOON) but saw this moval yesterday and almost fainted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBNkLZhCgQ4/?taken-by=erstwhilejewelry

allll about movals RN

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Fulvia, I can't wait to see what you do with your Marquise ! Gypsy and Niel, will you weigh in and give me your thoughts please? :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not my favorite. But if spread and color are you priorities it checks both those boxes.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has potential but you need some more info.
Ignore the ctw for a moment and look at the size. Nearly 10*5

Now, DONT ignore the ctw for a minute, and notice that it's very shallow. This could very well pose a problem. You'll have to ask for video and get more info on performance.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/401196150209

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results