shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Sapphire

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
Hey was hoping to get some opinions on this stone my local jeweler has. In the photos I'm thinking the stone on the left. The plan is setting it into engagement ring. Price is 2600 and I’m wondering if that’s too much for a stone of this quality, i believe it is 1.29 carets. Thanks for the help! Oh and also considering the middle stone for 3k, and the right stone for 500.

23BE1FEC-EBAD-4D60-B3A2-F3A167FCCF47.jpeg CA14DFB9-7362-4856-A2A3-E32F8E6E4337.jpeg 823123EA-26E7-4DA6-B834-87E6B2F256DB.jpeg 6718B580-F443-4E5E-A0FC-A0439D7CA727.jpeg

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hey was hoping to get some opinions on this stone my local jeweler has. In the photos I'm thinking the stone on the left. The plan is setting it into engagement ring. Price is 2600 and I’m wondering if that’s too much for a stone of this quality, i believe it is 1.29 carets. Thanks for the help! Oh and also considering the middle stone for 3k, and the right stone for 500.

23BE1FEC-EBAD-4D60-B3A2-F3A167FCCF47.jpeg CA14DFB9-7362-4856-A2A3-E32F8E6E4337.jpeg 823123EA-26E7-4DA6-B834-87E6B2F256DB.jpeg 6718B580-F443-4E5E-A0FC-A0439D7CA727.jpeg

I agree that the sapphire on the far left looks the nicest of the three by color! Just wondering, but what color are you specifically looking for? Are you looking for a more light, medium, or dark tone? Could you give us a sense of your budget if that's OK?

Regarding pricing, the first thing I'd ask for is a lab report from a reputable lab e.g. GIA/AGL. If it's completely untreated, that will raise the value substantially along with factors such as its trade color classification (e.g. royal blue, cornflower) and provenance (Burma, Sri Lanka, etc.). It's hard to say anything more concrete since we don't know if it's treated or not.

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
I’m thinking I like a medium color. The one to the left had a very nice deep blue hue which drew me to it. It is heat treated I believe, and mined in Sri Lanka. I looking to keep it to under 3k for the sapphire it’s self, and maybe around a 1.25-1.5 carets oval cut!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I’m thinking I like a medium color. The one to the left had a very nice deep blue hue which drew me to it. It is heat treated I believe, and mined in Sri Lanka. I looking to keep it to under 3k for the sapphire it’s self, and maybe around a 1.25-1.5 carets oval cut!

Did the jeweler tell you about the treatments? I'd still get a report just for insurance.

Regarding the price, based on what we know, I think it's a tad high. If you're ok w/heat only, I think you can find a more saturated sapphire for less. However, if you like it as is and you're comfortable w/the price, I don't see why not :3

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty colour, prices vary due to heat or no heat. I'm sure I'll get canned (again) by vendors for saying this but yes it's on the higher side price wise for a heated stone that size.

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
Did the jeweler tell you about the treatments? I'd still get a report just for insurance.

Regarding the price, based on what we know, I think it's a tad high. If you're ok w/heat only, I think you can find a more saturated sapphire for less. However, if you like it as is and you're comfortable w/the price, I don't see why not :3

They did not tell me it was on their website and I did not ask for a certification. I do like that sapphire, I just wanted to make sure that was not an absurd price. I’m not opposed to ordering online if I can get something nicer for a similar price. I just do not know the first place to look.

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
It's a pretty colour, prices vary due to heat or no heat. I'm sure I'll get canned (again) by vendors for saying this but yes it's on the higher side price wise for a heated stone that size.

Thank you for the information. Any recommendations of reputable places to find a similar or nicer stone for a good price?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is the last photo a close up of the left stone? It looks a bit included, and with a rather wonky cut.

For comparison, maybe somethink like:

The same vendor has a number of interesting rounds, in case that is an option.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the information. Any recommendations of reputable places to find a similar or nicer stone for a good price?

RE: online vendors, would you be comfortable letting us know where you're located? Ideally, it's best to see a sapphire in person since photographs/videos are rarely 100% accurate.If you're located on the west coast of the U.S., like @chroman said, Gemfix is a great resource (based in San Diego I think). I understands lots of members have had great experiences with Enhoerning Jewelry (NYC-based) as well. I've also heard good things about Adamant International (https://www.adamantgems.com/) and they're prices look fair to me.

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
Is the last photo a close up of the left stone? It looks a bit included, and with a rather wonky cut.

For comparison, maybe somethink like:

The same vendor has a number of interesting rounds, in case that is an option.

Yes that was the close up of the left stone. And that is a very nice color in that one. I’ll have to check gemfix out and see what options there are. Thank you.

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
RE: online vendors, would you be comfortable letting us know where you're located? Ideally, it's best to see a sapphire in person since photographs/videos are rarely 100% accurate.If you're located on the west coast of the U.S., like @chroman said, Gemfix is a great resource (based in San Diego I think). I understands lots of members have had great experiences with Enhoerning Jewelry (NYC-based) as well. I've also heard good things about Adamant International (https://www.adamantgems.com/) and they're prices look fair to me.

I’m located in upstate New York. Kind of the middle of nowhere so I think I’m limited to a few local stores as to in person viewing. Rochester and buffalo are relatively close if there’s anyone around that area you know of. I will have to look at the vendors you listed. Thanks

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color of the one your jeweler has (the one on the left), but would want a lab certificate to make sure it is only heat treated. I also think the price is a bit high

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I’m located in upstate New York. Kind of the middle of nowhere so I think I’m limited to a few local stores as to in person viewing. Rochester and buffalo are relatively close if there’s anyone around that area you know of. I will have to look at the vendors you listed. Thanks

Hmm, I see. Maybe reach out to Inken at Enhoerning along w/Gemfix then? I'd personally start from there. Do you think you could swing a trip to NYC?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s a couple more in that range, just for comparison; an oval:

And if cushions might work;

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
I like the color of the one your jeweler has (the one on the left), but would want a lab certificate to make sure it is only heat treated. I also think the price is a bit high

I agree. I think for that much there should be a certificate.

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
Hmm, I see. Maybe reach out to Inken at Enhoerning along w/Gemfix then? I'd personally start from there. Do you think you could swing a trip to NYC?

Probably not, but if I can’t find anything online that will work for me I’d consider traveling to a better area to check a few places out. Why who’s there that you had in mind?

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
Here’s a couple more in that range, just for comparison; an oval:

And if cushions might work;

That first one you sent is a very nice looking sapphire. Will definitely keep that one as an option. Thank you. Does that dealer get good reviews around here?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The left stone is very nice. I'm gonna be burned at the stake here but I am okay with B&M being a bit more expensive due to different cost structure compared to online shopping. Plus you are seeing in person, and if you are having them set the stone, they will harbor the risk of any damage to the stone during the setting process.

Does the stone come with GIA paperwork or anything? Maybe AGL card will be enough as that's not terribly expensive if you want to be assured it is heat only. Any idea of the stone's mm measurement?

TheKingOfTheNorth

Rough_Rock
The left stone is very nice. I'm gonna be burned at the stake here but I am okay with B&M being a bit more expensive due to different cost structure compared to online shopping. Plus you are seeing in person, and if you are having them set the stone, they will harbor the risk of any damage to the stone during the setting process.

Does the stone come with GIA paperwork or anything? Maybe AGL card will be enough as that's not terribly expensive if you want to be assured it is heat only. Any idea of the stone's mm measurement?

The stone does not come with paperwork but they said it can be available for $125 I believe. And yes the measurements of the stone are 7.2x5.1mm. I agree it is much nicer being able to see that stone in multiple different lights and in person. That’s why I’m hesitant to order online honestly. Worried I’ll get something that looks great in the photos but not as great in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know which lab the store will send it to?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Be sure!

Stevie G

Rough_Rock

I can only see completed rings apart from the last pic...

Stevie G

Rough_Rock

I am also looking at purchasing a sapphire, hence on this thread and site! I can't see pics of just stones that you have posted, only rings...
The stone I am considering is a natural royal blue sapphire 1.68 carat

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also looking at purchasing a sapphire, hence on this thread and site! I can't see pics of just stones that you have posted, only rings...
The stone I am considering is a natural royal blue sapphire 1.68 carat

Are you in the trade? If so, you cannot post about things you are buying here. If not, please ask the admin to remove the "Trade" badge.

Stevie G

Rough_Rock
Are you in the trade? If so, you cannot post about things you are buying here. If not, please ask the admin to remove the "Trade" badge.

I'm trying to...how do i contact admin?

Stevie G

Rough_Rock
I've emailed admin, so will just carry on...
It's a natural, unheated royal blue sapphire from Sri Lanka. It has a GIC certificate and is advertised as loupe clean. 1.68carats and oval mixed cut.
I would appreciate any opinions on value and any advice I should take before buying it. My aim is either to get it made into a ring, or perhaps re-sell it at a later date.... View attachment 740255 Screenshot_20200305-211517_eBay.jpg

Stevie G

Rough_Rock
It's a natural, unheated royal blue sapphire from Sri Lanka. It has a GIC certificate and is advertised as loupe clean. 1.68carats and oval mixed cut.
I would appreciate any opinions on value and any advice I should take before buying it. My aim is either to get it made into a ring, or perhaps re-sell it at a later date.... View attachment 740255 Screenshot_20200309-040840_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20200306-145928_eBay.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-211517_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305-211517_eBay.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Stevie G

Rough_Rock
I would appreciate any opinions on value and any advice I should take before buying it. My aim is either to get it made into a ring, or perhaps re-sell it at a later date.... View attachment 740255 Screenshot_20200309-040840_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20200306-145928_eBay.jpg

Someone told me that they think this stone suffers from a lot of extinction. I have not physically seen the stone and I've not got the expert knowledge either.... does anyone else have a similar opinion? Screenshot_20200308-223718_Samsung Internet.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone told me that they think this stone suffers from a lot of extinction. I have not physically seen the stone and I've not got the expert knowledge either.... does anyone else have a similar opinion?

It is very dark. I would recommend starting a new thread about this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results