shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FEJICU

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I''ve been reading online about diamonds for the past 3 weeks, trying to learn enough to make an "educated purchase", and have actually been to about 10 different brick and mortar stores including Tiffany''s, Cartier, Mayors, and all the Mall Stores you can imagine, just to a get a feel on what the actual differences in color, cut and clarity look like in real life and not over the internet.

I think I have settled on a round J Color, VS2 with the best available cut, polish and symmetry.

Having said this I''ve also settled on either Blue Nile or Union Diamond, moving towards Blue Nile because they have a setting that is very similar to what I have in mind.

Since I consider myself an absolute beginner when it comes to diamonds I wanted to receive some input from you guys about the following diamond:

Carat weight: 1.32
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 59.6%
Table %: 60%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent

I''m trying to spend a maximun of $5.000 on the diamond and obviously want to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 11:57:35 AM
Author:FEJICU
Hi Guys,

I've been reading online about diamonds for the past 3 weeks, trying to learn enough to make an 'educated purchase', and have actually been to about 10 different brick and mortar stores including Tiffany's, Cartier, Mayors, and all the Mall Stores you can imagine, just to a get a feel on what the actual differences in color, cut and clarity look like in real life and not over the internet.

I think I have settled on a round J Color, VS2 with the best available cut, polish and symmetry.

Having said this I've also settled on either Blue Nile or Union Diamond, moving towards Blue Nile because they have a setting that is very similar to what I have in mind.

Since I consider myself an absolute beginner when it comes to diamonds I wanted to receive some input from you guys about the following diamond:

Carat weight: 1.32
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 59.6%
Table %: 60%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent

I'm trying to spend a maximun of $5.000 on the diamond and obviously want to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome!

Not to worry about being new to this, we will help you each step of the way. Can you post the crown and pavilion angles of this diamond please along with the girdle and diameter measurements? The table is a bit larger than many we see here ( 54- 57% often preferred) but the angles are the critical factor.

BN are a good vendor but they don't provide any additional info on the diamonds that many educated buyers like. I would take a look at some of these vendors who have a great rep here and see what you think.

www.goodoldgold.com

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.whiteflash.com

These vendors have all the info you could wish for on their in house diamonds, so I would check them out.

FEJICU

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to attach an image that has the full specs of the diamond, please let me know if it works.

Thanks for your reply

FEJICU12345678.png

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 12:13:29 PM
Author: FEJICU
I'm trying to attach an image that has the full specs of the diamond, please let me know if it works.

Thanks for your reply
You are very welcome!

The diamond has potential but I would prefer to see an Idealscope image to see how this diamond actually looks. From the proportions I would speculate it is a bright and brilliant diamond, but the fire might be down a bit. But this is as I say speculation, as the diamond is from BN unfortunately they do not supply Idealscope images. Do you have the diameter measurement also please? You will find that on the grading report page near the beginning.

What are you looking for in your diamond exactly? Do you want the best cut diamond you can possibly get? If you want to broaden the options and look for some others, maybe you could consider SI clarity if such a diamond was verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor, but this is of course a personal preference!

FEJICU

Rough_Rock
Measurements: 7.14 x 7.18 x 4.27 mm

I''m looking for a diamond that really sparkles! And I think that the best possible cut will help with how brilliant and sparkly the diamond looks. I''m sorry for the vague terms, but using fire and brillancy seems kind of hard for me.

I got scared away from SI1 clarity after seing a couple of diamonds on brick and mortar shops that showed VERY easily their internal flaws...does a online vendor certify when they are "eye clean"?

Thank you! You are being really helpful!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 12:22:14 PM

I'm looking for a diamond that really sparkles! And I think that the best possible cut will help with how brilliant and sparkly the diamond looks. I'm sorry for the vague terms, but using fire and brillancy seems kind of hard for me.

I got scared away from SI1 clarity after seing a couple of diamonds on brick and mortar shops that showed VERY easily their internal flaws...does a online vendor certify when they are 'eye clean'?

I am glad to help!

Yes the best possible cut will give you the performance you seek, fire, brilliance etc. Also a trusted vendor will be able to tell you if an SI clarity diamond is eyeclean to your standards, just let them know your expectations so you are on the same page. Some SI clarity diamonds in such stores can be graded by less strict labs and may not be eyeclean so what you have noticed isn't uncommon.

I will take a look for you and see if I can find some diamonds which might suit you!

Here is one which is around your budget if you paid with a bank wire - WF will be able to tell you if it is eyeclean or not.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2080408.htm $5166

This one has a larger table and is a very well cut diamond from a great vendor

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5259/

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 12:22:14 PM

I''m looking for a diamond that really sparkles! And I think that the best possible cut will help with how brilliant and sparkly the diamond looks. I''m sorry for the vague terms, but using fire and brillancy seems kind of hard for me.

I got scared away from SI1 clarity after seing a couple of diamonds on brick and mortar shops that showed VERY easily their internal flaws...does a online vendor certify when they are ''eye clean''?

Were the SI1 diamonds you saw GIA or AGS graded? It is usually pretty hard to see SI1 inclusions with the naked eye. I have seen GIA SI2''s that I had a hard time finding inclusions with the naked eye before I knew where they were located (using loupe).

FEJICU

Rough_Rock
Could you please explain to me the difference in price with the diamond you''re so kindly suggesting to me?

The one I posted is 0.08ct bigger, with a VS2 clarity rather than a SI1, but is cheaper by almost 500 dollars...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color is better than your selection. You also have to factor in the fact the WF stone can be upgraded but not BN. More information are available for the stone selection, IS, ASET and Hearts images so that you are not buying blind like with BN. So more work. If you are not interested in a H&A stone, then look for one in their ES range, that might save some $.

EDT:
Can't seem to find any with WF, maybe go with JA?

JA stone, non-H&A 1.29c J VS2, $4900 with PS discount.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1183646.asp

Looks good to me on the image, ask for the report and IS to confirm.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 1:47:48 PM
Could you please explain to me the difference in price with the diamond you're so kindly suggesting to me?

The one I posted is 0.08ct bigger, with a VS2 clarity rather than a SI1, but is cheaper by almost 500 dollars...
Certainly. Higher colour with this diamond, it is better cut plus WF have in house diamonds and invest in offering images such as Idealscope, ASET and photos for their customers. They also offer a buy back and upgrade policy. There are also in house experts to advise on each diamond. These services all cost money which can be rightfully charged for, compared to a company which just ' drop ships' the diamond. It depends on whether you personally value these vendor benefits and don't mind paying a bit extra for them, or would rather buy with limited info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results