shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on these sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Considering a cushion cut 2-4 ct in a medium blue sapphire. Just don''t know how these would rate ... Simply Sapphires BLUECNS409 or BLUECNS290 , which are boh heat-treated. Also wondering about BLUECGS470 which is untreated but appears so light in colour.
Would love if you experts could take a look and guide me , or point me in the right direction ( like towards Jeff White ).
Thanks!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono! I really respect your opinion and was hoping you would reply to my question!!!
So even though the first stone is described as " cornflower blue" it appears to be dark?
Did you have a chance to look at the unheated stone I mentioned? It seems so light in the photo but maybe that is a good thing?
It is so tempting because the prices seem very reasonable for the size but so hard to tell more about the cut.
It is becoming more and more appealing to have someone like Jeff to work with on this project.
Thank you very much!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Are you happy with the color saturation of any of those stones? So, not how light or dark they are, but how BLUE they are.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Number two looks lighter and the cut seems more even.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Yes I think the cut is a bit better on the 2nd stone.
Now what about the 3rd one which is unheated ? Looking for that nice cornflower colour - so is it better to buy a lighter overall colour in order for it not to go too dark on me when not in outdoor lighting? Ma re- not exactly sure about your colour comment but thinking how " blue" I want would be a medium blue.
Gee I think it was easier to find the right diamond!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This should help: How to buy a blue sapphire-color chart

As for Ma re''s comment about BLUE, he''s asking about how blue you want something--i.e., bright blue, gray blue, purple blue, green blue--essentially the vibrancy of the blue tone. Not dark or light. If that makes more sense...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I complete missed the 3rd choice. I'm so used to a direct link to the stone. My apologies. My guess is that you are looking for a medium cornflower blue?

The 3rd stone seems to be light in saturation and showing some violet. Are you looking for a pure blue or blue with a hint of violet?

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
I am so happy to get the help form all of you!
I am familiar with that chart, Frekechild, so based on that I am looking for something in the Camelot blue range. Chrono- is what you are describing referred to as a color-change sapphire? I don''t mind it changing in certain lighting. I have read the posts about how moody sapphires can be!
Does the pavillion cutting that Jeff does make a huge difference? It intrigues me as I believe that cut has so much to do with the liveliness of a stone.

OK- so a 3 25-4 carat , Camelot blue, cushion cut sapphire at a very fair price. That is what I am looking for. Am I missing anything else?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 4:42:16 PM
Author: Spirit

I am so happy to get the help form all of you!
I am familiar with that chart, Frekechild, so based on that I am looking for something in the Camelot blue range. Chrono- is what you are describing referred to as a color-change sapphire? I don''t mind it changing in certain lighting. I have read the posts about how moody sapphires can be!
Does the pavillion cutting that Jeff does make a huge difference? It intrigues me as I believe that cut has so much to do with the liveliness of a stone.

OK- so a 3 25-4 carat , Camelot blue, cushion cut sapphire at a very fair price. That is what I am looking for. Am I missing anything else?

I enjoy helping - I share in the excitement when someone is able to find the gem of their dreams. From your description, you want a medium tone, strongly saturated blue sapphire. Is heating all right?

No, stone 3 is not a colour change sapphire. It just does not look like cornflower blue on my monitor; it just looks like a light coloured violetish blue stone.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!
Well I love the pureness of the unheated, but would be ok with heated if budget dictates. I think you decribed it very well for me.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well I recommended THIS one to someone in another thread. It may be outside your budget, but it''s untreated, large and exactly what I meant with the "how blue" comment. Do you notice how more intense it''s color is, compared to that of the stones you found?

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
Yes Ma re , that stone looks very blue and for an unheated certified stone over 3 ct it seems like a very good price. I looked to see if they have a similar cushion.Have you dealt with them before? Great suggestion- thank you!
Just for the record, would you call that colour more of a royal - seems deeper than a cornflower or " Camelot" to my eye. Not sure...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well to my eye it''s somewhere between royal and camelot, can''t really place it anywhere, but I''d say it''s closer to camelot. BTW, I''ve never dealt with them, hope someone who has will chime in. Of course, check out a return policy, see if you can get the stone for a few days just to "inspect" it, and ask for a cert regardless of whom you buy from - in that price range it should be a must.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results