shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on round diamond

Matty2D

Rough_Rock
8308DDF0-59E1-45F8-8F63-D6DCC958317F.jpeg
Hello, been researching for a few months for a diamond ring and have come across this site several times. I just wanted to get some opinions on a diamond I have selected after a narrowed search.

Here are the diamond specs:

Carat: 1.01
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Dimensions: 6.51 x 6.48 x 3.89
Fluorescence: Strong
Table: 59%
Depth: 59.9%
Crown: 34
Pavilion: 40.6

I requested an IdealScope image and have attached that as well. Let me know if there is anymore information I am missing or need to know. I appreciate all the feedback and expertise!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Did you run it through the HCA tool?
What are the other dimensions?
I am not a fan of a table that large, especially with a depth so similar. The depth is definitely on the shallow side of what is recommended but if the table was smaller and depending on other measurements that may be a different story but it isn't.
I am curious as to the crown height. Depending on what that is, you are going to have a very flat top stone which I don't feel is attractive and you will not see a lot of fire. I feel fairly certain, based on the depth that the crown is shallow but if you post #s we will know for sure.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not great, and I see leakage from the image. We typically recommend staying under 58 for depth (54-57), which will give more fire.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, the arrows look very odd/messy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not great, and I see leakage from the image. We typically recommend staying under 58 for depth (54-57), which will give more fire.

I think lovedogs meant table instead of depth.

Matty2D

Rough_Rock
The diamond is also $4420, which I feel is pretty decent value in regards to a 1 carat. Anymore thoughts on this?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is also $4420, which I feel is pretty decent value in regards to a 1 carat. Anymore thoughts on this?
Have you used the search tool to see what other options there are in that same price range?

Matty2D

Rough_Rock
Have you used the search tool to see what other options there are in that same price range?

Yes, but most don’t have the arrows that are clearly defined, they are usually at least another $1000 then what this one costs.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you link a picture of the stone itself?

With Clarity

Rough_Rock
Trade
Curious why the 59% table gets a knock with a 59.9% depth and perfect crown and pavilion proportions? Hope to learn something maybe I'm missing?

Thanks,
Alex

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see 2 reasons for the lower price. Dark crystals and strong fluor, plus there isn't any information about its cut quality.

Matty2D

Rough_Rock
Just bumping to see if I can get a few more opinions on this before I decide to go with it or not.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curious why the 59% table gets a knock with a 59.9% depth and perfect crown and pavilion proportions? Hope to learn something maybe I'm missing?

Thanks,
Alex
60/60 stones tend to be less favoured on here because of their tendency to produce less fire, but it is noted that ultimately it is personal taste.

The cut is excellent.
Caution is needed with GIA triple-Excellent stones - they allow a range of angles that do not complement each other, meaning light leakage issues and poor performance.

The HCA tool enables analysis of stone angles and sifting out of stones that do not work well.

The search tool at the top of the forum takes you to the results page - in the advanced filters section you can select 'Excellent' within the HCA Score section, which will remove most stones that might perform badly and save you a lot of time.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Don’t have time to reread thread... did we have an HCA on this?
Can you request a video (not fancy, professional... have them quickly make you one outdoors, under office lighting, and in good lighting? If they want to make a sale, let them work for it! Another coupe days shouldn’t make a difference.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to see the photo or video of this diamond.
There is no leakage. However, there could be an obstruction issue.

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I rather forget about this diamond, don't waste your money and time. Move on and continue to find a better piece. I'm pretty sure you can still find one.
Patient is must if you don't need it soon.

P.s. sometimes it's not all about the price and size. ;)2

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cut looks off to me. In the video, the upper girdle and kite facets don't look like they're firing in the right sequence or with the same intensity. The flat table looks unattractive to me and I think there might be a dark-ish area in the middle. I also think it's really tinted for an I color (a "low" I). Honestly, I would pass.

Aside from the cut precision and color issues, I am not a fan of 60/60 stones like this. In jewelry stores, they look bright and "white" under the super duper lights, but they're flat and uninteresting in real life. I used to own one, so that's my experience. Some people like the style, but I wouldn't recommend a 60/60 diamond to someone who isn't specifically looking for one.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a nice one. You’ll have to find out if the SBF effects it negatively. Definitely worth seeing IMHO.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're stuck on JA for the purchase, ask for the cert on this stone.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-7126527

It's an AGS true heart (TH) stone for your price, size, color, etc. It is an SI1 but on my cell phone it looks like it may be eye clean. A little concerned at the 5 o'clock position but I think that's just because it's a zoomed view.

Edited to add:
It does have medium blue fluor (MBF) but usually that's not a problem, especially in I color. In rare cases a stone may appear hazy or milky. Normally it happens in strong to very strong fluor but it's still a minor percentage of it occurring. Still, you need to verify and all that jazz.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the pavilion is a bit shallow. It has some obstruction issues.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
If you're stuck on JA for the purchase, ask for the cert on this stone.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-7126527

It's an AGS true heart (TH) stone for your price, size, color, etc. It is an SI1 but on my cell phone it looks like it may be eye clean. A little concerned at the 5 o'clock position but I think that's just because it's a zoomed view.

Edited to add:
It does have medium blue fluor (MBF) but usually that's not a problem, especially in I color. In rare cases a stone may appear hazy or milky. Normally it happens in strong to very strong fluor but it's still a minor percentage of it occurring. Still, you need to verify and all that jazz.

Nice cut but this one faces up small for a 1.0.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results