shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Emeralds?

t86

Shiny_Rock
I picked up my emerald from AGL yesterday. I gave it a cursory look in the AGL office and a more in depth look when I got back to my office. I noticed at least one inclusion that was definitely not there before. There is a big crystal or crack right under the table--when the light hits it, it looks black. There is another sort of hairline fissure in the corner that may or may not have been there before, but I can't imagine having missed the black inclusion right under the table before.

I've scoured all my photos and videos of the emerald that I took before dropping it off, and I can't see the black inclusion. Even my husband (who knows nothing about emeralds) admitted that he hadn't seen it before. I called AGL less than an hour after picking it up and told them. Because everyone is in Tuscon for the gem show, they asked me to come in next week. I feel absolutely sick about this.

Am I crazy? The black inclusion right under the table wasn't there before, right? Could this be a crack?

IMG-0750.jpg

t86

Shiny_Rock
No matter what lighting I take a picture in, the black inclusion is there. And it wasn't there in any of my previous photos.

IMG-0759.jpg IMG-0758.jpg

t86

Shiny_Rock
When I place the emerald on its table, it presents as a very obvious crystal or crack. It's the bright, shiny dot here.

Attachments

• IMG-0765.jpg
    IMG-0765.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 49

t86

Shiny_Rock
Here are some before photos (before I dropped it off at AGL).

IMG-0568.jpg IMG-5544.JPG IMG-0716.jpg IMG-0715.jpg IMG-0711.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all I wanted to say I think you made the right choice. The 2nd stone wasn't doing it for me.
As far as your question I see a very faint hairline crack? Line? in your original pics, but it looks white, not dark. I really don't know. I think part of it is your emerald can look so different in the different pictures. Does AGS really clean the stone before they evaluate it?

voce

Ideal_Rock
1581019628624.png
I did notice this in your photos from before, which also shows up in the photo below it, and the photos below those two, it's possible it's partially obscured by the extinction/dark areas.

I think it's a pre-existing crack that could have had filler removed from it (AGL must remove some filler material to ascertain what type of filler it is?), or somebody could have dropped it in the shipping and handling process, exacerbating the pre-existing crack.

Is the inclusion visible in the photo on the AGL card or report? If so, you can ask further questions about it, such as was the photo taken before or after there was filler extracted to determine the type of treatment. If not, I think you have a better case for stating they damaged the stone.

t86

Shiny_Rock
I don't believe the inclusion is visible in the photo on the AGL card. See attached. The photo is very small, so it's a bit hard to tell.

AGL photo.jpg

t86

Shiny_Rock
As for shipping and handling, I picked it up at AGL and dropped it off in person and was extremely careful! Definitely did not drop it.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with @voce and @JPie, the inclusion was there in the original picture as they have indicated so well with their boxes and arrows. I do still think that the emerald is beautiful!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with the above. You can see the inclusion on the before photos, you just have to flip the stone. It is a beautiful emerald though and I understand why it is easy to freak out. Cannot wait to see the finished ring!

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
It might be there from the beginning but why does it look more obvious and “darker” now? It looks like a magic marker mark...waiting to hear back from the lab would drive me bananas too.

Hope you would get an answer soon.

Drizzle

Rough_Rock
@t86 I've been following your journey closely! Did you get any update from AGL on the dark spot? Did you end up keeping the Emerald? Your stone is absolutely gorgeous btw. I absolutely love the different shade of green it shifts to under various lighting :love:

t86

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to provide an update on the saga. I spoke to AGL, and they said that the inclusion was a pre-existing, partially filled fissure. In that, it was a fissure that reached the table that would typically be filled during the treatment process but for some reason, it was only partially filled with resin. Thus, it was there before I dropped it off at AGL. It could not have occurred through handling or dropping or anything like that.

I showed them before and after pictures and video (I had a lot!), and they agreed that they couldn't see the inclusion in the before pictures and could in all of the after pictures. They didn't really have any good explanation for it--they said resin shouldn't leak out or anything, and the treatment was stable. They said I could just have it treated again (add more resin), and the fissure would disappear, but I didn't really feel comfortable with that considering (1) I didn't know what kind of resin was used in the first place, (2) I already got the certificate saying it was minor treatment, and (3) I would have to take all the risk of anything going awry or not working out.

Ultimately, I decided to return the emerald. The inclusion was all I could see while looking at it--even if it wasn't right under the table and kind of obvious, I had fixated on it to such an extent that my eye immediately went to it, and I knew I would just see it first thing whenever I looked at it in the future. The vendor graciously accepted my return. I am out the $390 I paid for the AGL certificate, but I consider it a cheap lesson, all things considered.

Lastly, I wanted to give a heartfelt thanks to everyone who weighed in on this process. I am so grateful that I found this community of generous, knowledgeable people.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I think you made the right choice. Regardless of whether it pre-existed or not or how major/minor it was, if it stood out to you and gave a bunch of negative feelings, best to return and look for something you can love unconditionally :)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think you made the right choice. Your emerald is out there somewhere! I hope you find it soon.

Reactions: t86

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the updates and look forward to your next find! Good luck.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update, but wait a minute...you returned their stone with an AGL report showing minor treatment which the stone would not have had without you? A lab report confirming minor treatment only, especially one from AGL, increases the value of the stone. They should acknowledge that by at least offering to refund your AGL cost. Seems to me its the courteous and professional thing to do.

t86

Shiny_Rock
@minousbijoux, I didn't fight it because the vendor already let me return outside of the 14-day return window. Also, if I had asked the vendor to send the stone to AGL themselves, I would have had to pay for the certificate (plus shipping). There was some additional back and forth--they adjusted the price when the treatment came back as modern rather than traditional, and then I ended up changing my mind and deciding to return. At the end of the day, I thought it was a fair resolution and just let it go.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Did you return it with the AGL report?

Did the vendor question the "black" inclusion? Often they said that they refund after inspection.

Just curious....

t86

Shiny_Rock
@Rad_Fan, yes, per request of the vendor, I sent along the AGL report. They did not question the black inclusion--refund has been sent. I'm waiting for it to show up in my account (takes a few days).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results