carat
color
clarity

Opinions on dress, please?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello fellow Brides!

My fiance and I have been engaged for over a year now, and after much ado (buying a house, job loss, etc.) we have decided to elope (which was my hope all along!) We are thinking of traveling to SC (perhaps Folly Island--if anyone has recommendations or opinions I would love to hear them) in November this year. I had originally thought I'd order and wear the Avery gown from J.Crew, but last night found another fabulous gown on Nordstrom's website. It's very ME, very fun, and I think it will translate well from beach (barefoot) to a January reception in the Midwest. Thoughts, please? Thanks in advance!!! I know I haven't been very active here as a bride, but things have been iffy schedule-wise due to so many life changes in the past year. I hated to post and re-post that things had changed, ya know?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/js-boutique-sequin-one-shoulder-gown/3167577?origin=PredictiveSearch&resultback=1067

nordstromweddinggown.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I like it :) are you planning to order it and then return if you don't like it on?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks SLG! Yes, I do plan to order it and possibly return if it just won't work. However, we're less than two months out from marrying so I'm purchasing in hopes I won't have to return! My other option (which I've had in mind for pretty much the last two years,) is the J. Crew Avery gown in ivory. I own the Avery short version in navy and have worn it several times...it's drape and substance are unsurpassed in any dress I've ever worn. So, I thought I'd find it on ebay in my size, but alas...none to be found in a 6 or even an 8 which I could have altered. One of our very best friends owns a tailor shop here in town and has graciously offered to do any alterations I need as a wedding gift. I found a 12 the other day but now I'm torn between this Nordstrom dress and the Avery. The 12 was listing for $300 or something and while that is affordable, the super cheap Nordstrom dress appeals even more to me. Ahhh...decisions, decisions!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Oh monnie, it's lovely! With Nordie's return policy I'd probably order both that one and the one Gypsy linked!

I had been wondering when you and your FI would be making wedding plans! Eloping in November somewhere a bit south sounds great...I have absolutely no experience with Folly Island, though! Best of luck on your planning!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um said:
Oh monnie, it's lovely! With Nordie's return policy I'd probably order both that one and the one Gypsy linked!

Ditto! My mother wore a Tadashi one shoulder dress for my wedding day and she looked amazing. The dress was stunning on her and was really well made. You will look lovely in your pick and the Tadashi Gypsy posted. What will you wear over the dress in January? A capelet or shrug?

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Yay for eloping :appl: i really like the nordstrom dress, its definitely more fun than the avery (though i do like that one too, very classic) and i think it would be a great summer party dress if you shortened it down the track =)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Personally I like the Avery better, but if the one-shoulder style and the sequins suit you, then I'm sure it will look fab on you! The price is awesome as well.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone, for your input, I really appreciate it. I love this particular subforum (BWW) because you can get honest feedback...just like everywhere else on PS!

I have thought for the past two years that I had to get married in the Avery. But, I found this gown and I think it's so fab and so me, and sooooo under budget that I HAVE to have it! I think it will travel well in a suitcase from IN to SC, whereas the Avery might be a wrinkled crazy mess and I'd have to worry about having it steamed, blah blah. Plus it's just so much more fun! I LOVE sequins and flash, and sparkle...the Avery is almost too conservative.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, your link ain't workin'. HALP! Hahahaha! :confused: :naughty: :appl: :wavey:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like bling and one shoulder dresses, so I love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results