shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion piece - woman “shamed” for her choice of ring

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I don't understand this--please explain

:D It’s a lyric I was reminded of that more or less expresses that her ring choice doesn’t mean I’m forced to wear it. I mirror a lot of the sentiment shared already that the ring owner’s style preferences don’t impact ME and it’s just as easy to comment well wishes on their jewelry choices or say nothing at all. I’m not the one wearing it or loving the look so my opinion of her ring choice doesn’t really matter.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:D It’s a lyric I was reminded of that more or less expresses that her ring choice doesn’t mean I’m forced to wear it. I mirror a lot of the sentiment shared already that the ring owner’s style preferences don’t impact ME and it’s just as easy to comment well wishes on their jewelry choices or say nothing at all. I’m not the one wearing it or loving the look so my opinion of her ring choice doesn’t really matter.

OK, I get it.
But what a weird lyric o_O
I guess I'm just picturing Jay Z on the toilet

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not my taste but hardly shame-worthy.

OTOH, the posters/detractors are truly shame-worthy. Who cares what mean, pointless thing you say about someone else's ring when you are a sad, horrible person? These are the insults that say so much more about the insulter than the insulted.

Instead of ring, you could have filled in anything -- hair, car, boy/girlfriend, race, religion...

Just sad social-media behavior.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plenty of ring-shaming here on PS.

As for the ring itself - I'm in the "trying too hard to be unique" camp. But I don't really care - if she's happy, great, if not, no skin off my nose. I have the same reaction to myckynzee and popcorn salad - if folks upon whom those are inflicted are happy, great, if not, no skin off my nose.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ True!

I forget what I even said there but...

This is a forum dedicated to taste and expertise in gems and jewelry. We did not go on her personal feed to trash her unconventional e-ring (I hope). Or say terrible things about her character, family, etc.,...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can totally see how social media is terribly damaging for still-developing minds and personalities. I'm really glad I grew up before FB and IG.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow !
Ive never seen anything like it
All that matters is she loves it, jist like her wedding dress and her wedding flowers

i think all this random shearing on social media is asking for trouble a lot of the time

good luck to the happy couple

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say ... rings vary.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
That a group even exists to publicly shame, embarrass and belittle someone's choice of ring, is truly despicable. What kind of person would belong to a group like that? Pathological haters? Honestly a group like this says a lot more about the members than it does the rings and people that they're criticising. Just very sad.

As for this ring, when it's facing straight up and not on an angle I think it has a cool art deco vibe and looks like it would be super sparkly.

As for anyone who belongs to that mean girls/guys group - seriously cheer the f*$k up you miserable gits and check yourselves!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another victim of nasty anonymous social media. Those comments, appear to be made with the intent to be as rude and pithy as possible. Another example of too much sharing with strangers on social media.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
Those hate comments are really not called for. Unless something has something offensive like an actual hate symbol, a person should get to wear what she or he likes in peace.
Personally I would not have chosen that setting for myself, but that does not mean that it deserves all that hate ! Everyone has different taste.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the rings are meant to hint at a pair of initials. The way one side is curved - something like an L and an S - or an L and a J - maybe a P and a B? Something like that. Either way, it's so far from being hideous - that alone puts it in the camp of 'how bad can it be?' I quite like it.

And just to add - a whole bunch of people these days seem to think a tattoo makes an acceptable 'engagement ring', so why this would be considered so out there is beyond me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for me personally, however I am not the one who will be wearing the ring(s).

DK :))

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelry is art. Express yourself however it makes you happy. Anyone else’s opinions are irrelevant.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all the rules of that page are you have to say something bad. If you saw something good you get kicked off. The people putting their own rings know it’s all “ in fun”. Posting a ring not belonging to you is just mean. No, I don’t post on there but I checked it out several years ago when I saw it in the news.
As for her ring, it’s not my taste but it’s unique and I like it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If someone say my ring is "unique" they meant to say it is butt ugly w/o saying it out loud. nod.gif

If any of you PSers say my ring is unique then I'll report you to the Admin :!:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is wrong with people? There's nothing wrong with the ring, it's not hideous, it's perfectly fine. It might not be to my taste, but I'm not wearing it. Another reason to despise social media.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People need to read AprilBaby's post:

First of all the rules of that page are you have to say something bad. If you saw something good you get kicked off. The people putting their own rings know it’s all “ in fun”. Posting a ring not belonging to you is just mean. No, I don’t post on there but I checked it out several years ago when I saw it in the news.

I was kind of horrified that people would be so mean until @AprilBaby clarified that the rules of the page/site are to post something bad!!! I'd never want to be on a site like that, but I guess if you post your own jewelry, then you know what to expect! I'd never post negative comments about someone's jewelry on their personal page.

The ring is not my style, but I have seen far worse. I'd never participate in a site like that.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The ring is not my taste but if she loves it that’s all that matters.

I bet those same trolls would mock this ring before they found out it was a VCA and was Jackie Kennedy Onassis’ engagement ring...

(But this ring is also not my taste)

E0DE09B2-AE33-4E4F-8EA5-FD43C4D6DC15.jpeg

Last edited:

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
People need to read AprilBaby's post:

I was kind of horrified that people would be so mean until @AprilBaby clarified that the rules of the page/site are to post something bad!!! I'd never want to be on a site like that, but I guess if you post your own jewelry, then you know what to expect! I'd never post negative comments about someone's jewelry on their personal page.

The ring is not my style, but I have seen far worse. I'd never participate in a site like that.

Ohhhh ok, a bit of context helps. I thought they were just finding people's rings off the internet and saying unsolicited, mean things about them. It sounds like it's meant to be a 'tongue in cheek' type forum, which is fine if you're posting your own ring knowing that it's going to be roasted. It doesn't sound like my kind of thing at all, as I think forums like that can turn pear shaped very quickly, but each to their own. Thank you @diamondseeker2006 for pointing out @AprilBaby 's post clarifying that. My faith in humanity is almost restored! ;)2

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If someone say my ring is "unique" they meant to say it is butt ugly w/o saying it out loud. nod.gif

If any of you PSers say my ring is unique then I'll report you to the Admin :!:

Unique: not common. I happen to like it but I wouldn’t choose it. Mostly because of the pink.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is not my taste but if she loves it that’s all that matters.

I bet those same trolls would mock this ring before they found out it was a VCA and was Jackie Kennedy Onassis’ engagement ring...

(But this ring is also not my taste)

E0DE09B2-AE33-4E4F-8EA5-FD43C4D6DC15.jpeg

Jackie actually reset this ring, so maybe she was a PSer before our time! It's also not my favorite, but I would be extremely happy to have it even without the JKO provenance!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I think there is a similarly named spin off page about “wedding shaming” used to share stories of the worst Bridezillas. Many of those stories actually focus on the behaviour of the bride when presented with an engagement ring not to her liking.

And I don’t mean a gentle “oh I kind of wish he had got me a different style because I’ve always wanted X”. More of a “Call this a diamond? It’s pathetically small. Go get me a bigger stone or the weddings off!”

I always find it interesting when men post on here for advice on buying an engagement ring and how many of us recommend to propose with a dummy ring and choose the real one together. But I’m sure while most PSers would have preferred input into the ring (or upgraded it later, like me, LOL!) I can’t imagine many of us flinging it back at the fiancé in disgust.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results