shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know too much about fancy shapes but my friends boyfriend wants to get her a square radiant. I had Whiteflash call this one in and take some pics. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. I went to the knowledge center and clicked on advanced tutorial and then on the radiant link to see the AGA chart. If I am reading it correctly I believe this may be a 1B. Please correct me if I am wrong. Only the depth lands in the 2B section.

Here''s the pics. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks

KT

DI40X_GIA14851870f102mm.jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
IS image.

IS_GIA14851870f102mm.jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Sarin

SARIN_GIA14851870f102mm.gif

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
And here''s a pic they took of a x-factor, a princess and the radiant.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
oops...forgot to attach.

samplepicmm.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mm, I don't think it's attractive.

In the last pic with 3 shapes, I like the princess best, then the X, then the sq rad.

If you want sq. rad, the X Factors are supposed to be a good alternative.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really Julie? I actually liked the Radiant best from that pic. Huh.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like that circle effect.

Buuut, maybe now it's the princess>radiant>X Factor.
3.gif

Ask if the circle is visible in person. Photos magnify things like that.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
My friend has told her boyfriend the she wants a princess. He doesn''t want to buy a princess because too many of her friends have them and he''s worried about the corners as she is hard on her hands. So he had gone looking at a coule of B&M''s and he really likes the radiants that he saw. But they were smaller <1ct, uncerted and lower color adn clarity. So he asked me for a little help. I have to admit I have not seen a radiant in person, So I just did some research and went looking by the numbers alone. So I had asked them to take the pic of the 3 together just so he could have a comparison. He still says he likes the radiant after seeing the pics. He is going to have the stone sent to him so he can see it in person. I will let you know about the circle thing when I see it.

Julie are circles usually seen in radiants? And will it be noticable even to the basic consumers eyes?

BTW, dose anyone know, did I get the cut class correct?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I don't like it that much either. That circle inside a square look is distracting and I am wondering if it could look dark centered in certain lighting.

I definitely like the idea of it though. That square radiant concept is appealing. I like the idea of the clipped corners to avoid damage.

If he did get a princess, he could protect the corners through purchase of the right setting.

I might add that to me that princess looks the largest of the three, though all are similar carat weight.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 3:52:49 PM
Author: KtIceRN
oops...forgot to attach.
oooh I like the square radiant much better than either the princess or x-factor!! It has an interesting look!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like that circle thing going on in the middle and you can also see leakage there in the IS. Not my personal cup of tea.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 5:03:52 PM
Author: Beacon
I have to say I don''t like it that much either. That circle inside a square look is distracting and I am wondering if it could look dark centered in certain lighting.

I definitely like the idea of it though. That square radiant concept is appealing. I like the idea of the clipped corners to avoid damage.

If he did get a princess, he could protect the corners through purchase of the right setting.

I might add that to me that princess looks the largest of the three, though all are similar carat weight.
too funny - I thought it looked the biggest LOL the x-factor is seriously not impressive in this shot at all... the princess looks bigger kinda because of the corners but the radiant seems to have more "bulk" which I find attractive.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Radiants often have that circle. But that's kind of like saying rounds are often too deep.

Princesses, too, had the partial leakage at the inside edge of the table. It wasn't until the AGS 0 princesses that we saw consistently cut stones with a good pattern of contrast and little leakage.

Even so, I think the circle effect should be less apparant than in that one. But see for yourself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stone with the clipped corners so much better than princess.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
i definitely like the radiant cut the best and the cut cornered princess second best. princess cuts just look so harsh to me with those pointy corners.

and i agree with cehrabehra about the radiant cut looking the biggest of the three.

keep us posted on what he decided to do!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have to agree with everyone else and say the radiant is too dark in the center. I have a radiant, and mine doesn''t have that dark center effect. Here''s one case where the numbers on the stone are good, but it could be a better looking stone. Not trying to be harsh, but I really think your friend''s boyfriend should look for another stone and not bother having this one sent to him. I think it will be a waste of time and money, and radiants can be so much more attractive than this one.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the opinions everyone.

So he had the stone sent out yesterday and it arrived this morning. I have to say IRL neither he nor I could detect the circle in square effect. In the lighting we have taken it in, diffuse sunlight, jewelery store and just around the house I do not notice that it is dark under the table at all. The stone is very much a firecracker. It does not have that true crushed ice effect. More like a princess in the center of the stone with the broad flashes with the crushed ice effect on the edges. Kinda unique, which is exactly what he wanted for her. Now I am not an expert at diamonds especially fancy shapes, but to me it blew away all of the radiants and princess stones that we saw today in 4 different stores.
Also the price comparison was not even close. One guy showed us a cushion that was the same weight, GIA cert F VS2, X polish, good sym, and he wanted over 6K!
So I guess it does go to show that fancies really do need to be seen IRL.

I have tried to get some pics of it but I am finding it hard to get it into focus. I will try again tomorrow and post when I can.

KT

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! Can''t wait for pics!!

I liked it. The circle effect didn''t bother me in th least.. actually it added a unique symmetry to the stone for me. And as Cehra said... it was the biggest. Always a plus.

SO... how is he going to have it set for her, Kt??? I love helping with settings.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 1:40:22 PM
Author: KtIceRN
Thanks for the opinions everyone.

So he had the stone sent out yesterday and it arrived this morning. I have to say IRL neither he nor I could detect the circle in square effect. In the lighting we have taken it in, diffuse sunlight, jewelery store and just around the house I do not notice that it is dark under the table at all. The stone is very much a firecracker. It does not have that true crushed ice effect. More like a princess in the center of the stone with the broad flashes with the crushed ice effect on the edges. Kinda unique, which is exactly what he wanted for her. Now I am not an expert at diamonds especially fancy shapes, but to me it blew away all of the radiants and princess stones that we saw today in 4 different stores.
Also the price comparison was not even close. One guy showed us a cushion that was the same weight, GIA cert F VS2, X polish, good sym, and he wanted over 6K!
So I guess it does go to show that fancies really do need to be seen IRL.

I have tried to get some pics of it but I am finding it hard to get it into focus. I will try again tomorrow and post when I can.

KT
Yep!

Sounds interesting, in a good way.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
I liked it too Gypsy! I really do think it looks great in person. Not to meantion it was way bigger and a better color then he thought he could afford in his budget! It was great to go with him to some B&M''s so he could see the difference in cuts as well as cost. I can tell that he feels very proud that he can get her such a ring. She is REALLY gonna love it!
30.gif

As far as setting goes, she wats yellow gold with rounds onthe sides in a cathedral setting so she can have a wedding band sit flush. He likes the first one on the WF page of settings with diamonds, it''s in the right price range. I can''t get a pic to attach for some reason. But any other suggestions are very welcome. I will pass them on. It was very had to see what the stone was going to look like in a setting as there were not too many yellow gold ones at the B&M''s we went to today.

Thanks again!

KT

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
"rounds on the sides"

Three stone? Five stone? Pave? Micropave?

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry Gyspy, when I wrote that I thought I was going to be able to attach a pic. She wants about 5-6 rounds on either side, I would say 2-4 pointers. She likes a thicker band and it has to sit flush with the WB.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1191_xlarge.jpg

Vatche makes a flush fit band for this puppy. And I know they accomodate 'alternate' cetners (I've asked about my asscher in their settings).

2800 in 18K YG.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/5-Stone-Round--Princess-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-by-Vatche-1191.html

Setting price might be a bit high for the budget...

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/18KPlatinum-Round-Diamond-Bezel-Setting-With-Matching-Band-705.html

They make the setting to order for your actual stone so they will be able to do these with radiants. 1500 is much better price wise... and it has a blingy matching band for 1800 later.

705_xlarge.jpg

Just some quick suggestions. WF has lovely settings too!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a couple of pics I took. Hope you enjoy.

KT

michstone1.jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock

michstone2.jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock

michstone3.jpg

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
And some fire....

michstone7.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Were you wearing yellow or orange?

It looks lovely in the pics, but on my monitor its looking like a light canary diamond. Which I am positive it looks nothing like in person... considering its a GIA H.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
You are right Gypsy, I had on a bright yellow sweatshirt!

It''s a GIA F....so it better not look yellow!!!

KT

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results