shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this OEC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
I have been casually looking for a vintage stone to put in the popular Jamey Meyer setting (thanks Coati for the inspiration). Found this at a local pawn shop and would like some input from all you OEC fanciers.

It is uncertified 2.01ct, approx 7.9x8.1x5.05, color m/n/o. Said to be VS-1, I studied it with my loupe for over 1/2 hour and could not find anything at all. Really bright and sparkly, chunky facets, just like I am looking for. Whiter in person than the photo makes it look, the shop had yellow walls and incandescent lighting.

Am I correct that the irregular shape should not be a problem due to the bezel?

Price is $6,100, tax included. Is the price appropriate? The seller will allow a money back return for any reason so that will allow me to have it appraised. Comparable stones with EGL certs at Old World Diamonds all seem to be almost twice the price. Did I find a deal?? Am I missing something here?? What''cha all think??

201vsmo3.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The shape will be a problem in a bezel, it will have to be custom.

The stone look pretty and the price sounds ok.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love the cut on it...I''m no expert but it seems like its a pretty good deal for the price if its something you
are planning on keeping and not reselling. Not sure how the bezel would be affected by the symmetry being off.
Anyway...I think its a lovely stone!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:10:54 PM
Author: strmrdr
The shape will be a problem in a bezel, it will have to be custom.

The stone look pretty and the price sounds ok.
They are all custom, hand crafted

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:12:49 PM
Author: tyty333
Oh, I love the cut on it...I''m no expert but it seems like its a pretty good deal for the price if its something you
are planning on keeping and not reselling. Not sure how the bezel would be affected by the symmetry being off.
Anyway...I think its a lovely stone!
Definitely a keeper, will have to be pried off my cold, dead hands someday
face20.gif

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s a very nice looking stone.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
it looks like a very lovely diamond~~

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I like it! Price sounds reasonable, too.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Any other opinions?? I am not in a rush, do the OEC experts think I can find a better stone for the price?? I''m not sure how I feel about the large culet??

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it looks very promising!

The faceting looks pretty, but it's very difficult to judge an OEC from a photo alone. If the seller is offering a good return period and you feel comfortable about it, I think it certainly merits an in-person look. If it performs well and you love it, then you have made a great purchase!

As for large culet, these are much less obvious in person than they are in photos and really must be judged in person, based on your personal preferences (some people hate large culets, others adore them).

One suggestion: email the photo to James Meyer and ask him about symmetry of the bezel. Before spending your time on this candidate, make sure that he can work with the stone in a way that will correct the off-round shape, since that's the ring you have your heart set on.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When a stone is bezeled, the off roundness will be more obvious or accentuated by the bezel. Are you all right with seeing a round stone that isn''t round?

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 10:49:35 PM
Author: ericad
I think it looks very promising! Thanks Erica, I value your opinion!

The faceting looks pretty, but it''s very difficult to judge an OEC from a photo alone. If the seller is offering a good return period and you feel comfortable about it, I think it certainly merits an in-person look. If it performs well and you love it, then you have made a great purchase! I have seen it in person, spent over an hour playing with it, louping it, etc.

As for large culet, these are much less obvious in person than they are in photos and really must be judged in person, based on your personal preferences (some people hate large culets, others adore them). Good point, guess it did not bother me in person. I was there when he photographed it and he emailed it to me next day. Then it became more apparent to me.

One suggestion: email the photo to James Meyer and ask him about symmetry of the bezel. Before spending your time on this candidate, make sure that he can work with the stone in a way that will correct the off-round shape, since that''s the ring you have your heart set on. Excellent idea! That will address my other major concern.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ya know...if you tip your head to the right and look at the stone from that angle, it seems to have an elongated very soft oval-ish cushion shape, no?

Setting it that way (assuming it''s nice and symmetrical which is impossible to tell with my very scientific head-tipping method) in an elongated ovaly-cushion bezel would be an interesting take on the James Meyer setting you love...

Just a thought (Hi, my name is Erica...and I''m an enabler) :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results